General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

red light cameras

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/13, 03:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am by no means am advocating running red lights or tolls, but sometimes it happens. just the other day, person in front of me, decides half way thru the light to almost stop completely in the intersection and figure out where they are at, they left me camped out on a yellow light in the intersection with them. stumbled upon this
Attached Thumbnails red light cameras-image-941112080.jpg  

Last edited by boss hoss; 3/16/13 at 03:42 AM.
Old 3/16/13, 07:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Rofl that's really cool, I had to pay one of those Tickets last month..
Old 3/16/13, 08:18 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,056 Likes on 661 Posts
I always wondered if that spray actually works. No cameras around me but for when I travel.
I would have no problem using this spray since the cameras are just a revenue producer and do nothing to prevent accidents. The only hype you hear about red light cameras (and speeding cameras too) comes from the companies that make them (along with their fake data) and of course the local government officials who want the $$$. Most car magazines have already exposed these rip-off artists years ago. There have been some studies where they shortened the yellow light cycle to catch more 'runners'. That is so wrong!! Many communities have decided to bring them down. The con job is over.

Last edited by NC14GT; 3/16/13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 3/16/13, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't know if they cut accident rates, but I'm all for them. I have become very cautious when starting off when a light turns green because people running red lights is a BIG problem around here. I usually delay a second or two to look for cars that aren't going to stop. If I hadn't done that yesterday I would have been t-boned in my new Mustang by a guy who was speeding through the red light. Unfortunately, there is no camera at that intersection.
Old 3/16/13, 09:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I heard they cause more accidents because instead of going through the yellow light people are jaming on the brakes and getting rear ended. We had a a few red light cams around here but enough people complained so they took them down.
Old 3/16/13, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I heard they cause more accidents because instead of going through the yellow light people are jaming on the brakes and getting rear ended. We had a a few red light cams around here but enough people complained so they took them down.
We have them at every intersection here.....I've seen sooo many wrecks because of it. Not to mention at night when the flash goes off, people get distracted or freaked out and swerve. I received a ticket showing the side of my car from the camera for the other light. I called and asked how that happens? They said it was a mistake in the system. So dumb.
Old 3/16/13, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have A BUNCH of them by me in Jersey. Personally, I think they're just too much. Maybe keep one or two at major intersections, but that's it. I ran an amber light and was in the intersection as it turned red Bam! $80.00 ticket. That's alot of money for a whole lot of nothing IMO. And most of all, it's too "Big Brotherish"! It makes me feel like Im being watched and monitored everytime I leave my house! I may need to give that photoblocker stuff a shot!

Last edited by AirForcePonycar; 3/16/13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 3/16/13, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AirForcePonycar
We have A BUNCH of them by me in Jersey. Personally, I think they're just too much. Maybe keep one or two at major intersections, but that's it. I ran an amber light and was in the intersection as it turned red Bam! $80.00 ticket. That's alot of money for a whole lot of nothing IMO. And most of all, it's too "Big Brotherish"! It makes me feel like Im being watched and monitored everytime I leave my house! I may need to give that photoblocker stuff a shot!
$80.00? Out here in wonderful California it ranges from $275.00 to $425.00 depending on the city.
Old 3/16/13, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cristoff
$80.00? Out here in wonderful California it ranges from $275.00 to $425.00 depending on the city.
Holy crap dude! Almost $500.00 for a red light?!? Yeah, and I thought we had it bad over here!
Old 3/16/13, 12:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Geez mine was only 50 in va
Old 3/16/13, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

They actually post a sign on the intersection telling you how much it's gonna hurt...

In Modesto (approx 300,000 population) it's 275.00 to 325.00

In the Bay area, (San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, etc.) I have seen it as high as 425.00

AND we are still broke - I can't move out of here fast enough.
Old 3/16/13, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Mythbusters tried EVERY item like this on the open market and NONE of them worked. The only thing that was able to beat the traffic cam was a rocket powered car that could go nearly 300 mph.

I'm just saying that all this "beat/fool the camera" stuff is a waste of money.

Last edited by GT/CS Guy; 3/16/13 at 12:31 PM.
Old 3/16/13, 03:04 PM
V6 Member

In NY they were initially not meant to ticket those who don't make a complete stop when making a right on red, but it actually covered every infraction. Little old ladies who never got a ticket their whole life started receiving them in the mail. My Brother n' Law got a couple and slams on the brakes at every yellow...kind of scary.
Old 3/16/13, 03:08 PM
V6 Member

Cleveland has several, the one that gets the most is at E.79 & Chester (downtown area with a divided street - Chester). It is marked as a Red Light Camera but I have the proof it's more than that:

There are sensors in the pavement to gauge the speed you are going thru it. So the photo shows me going thru a yellow but doing 45 mph in a 35.

Here's your $100 ticket.

Ignore it, Richie ?
Ooooh, then it's $140 and we'll wreck your credit, too.

Sighhhh. Friggin' broke cities.

/RZ
Old 3/16/13, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I got one in Philly. It was like $108. Actually a month after I paid it, I got a check in the mail giving me my money back. The letter stated something about they didn't have the correct signage up so the camera wasn't fair. There were some lawsuits against them and in some places I know they are ripping them back out. Major controversy. I agree with the earlier posts. Feel like its just one more way for them to try to screw us out of our money.
Old 3/16/13, 07:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just take a picture of your money for the tickets, and send it in
Old 3/20/13, 08:19 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,056 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
Just take a picture of your money for the tickets, and send it in
I love it!!
Old 3/20/13, 10:53 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Doesn't work. Designed to blur the camera flash. Thing is, The camera takes two pics. One with flash one without. So if in daylight your gonna get caught with no flash
Old 3/20/13, 11:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just get one of these
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/Seiko...ateflipper.php

or

http://www.licenseplateflipper.com/

Last edited by bluethunderhorse; 3/20/13 at 11:03 AM.
Old 3/20/13, 11:17 AM

I can tell you they have them where I work and I am the one that actually reviews the violations before the notices are sent out. I have definitely seen a reduction in crashes due to running red traffic signals since they were put in place. Yes, there have been a few rear end collisions but what most people don't seem to realize is that those collisions are a direct result of following too closely. While traveling behind another vehicle you should always have time to stop without a collision should the vehicle in front of you suddenly stop (red light, pedestrian, animal, vehicle, etc.). I realize that most drivers don't even come close to following this common sense rule, but the facts are that if they weren't following to close they could stop in time. As for the comments about adjusting the length of the amber signal duration, that is usually controlled by either DOT or county engineers and I can assure that they don't alter them for more tickets nor do they need to; you believe the violations I see on a daily basis. Here in Florida the amber and red signal duration times are printed on the violation and easily verified.

If anyone has any questions, please fee free to ask and I will try to answer them.

Quick Reply: red light cameras