General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

RE: Aluminum hoods, S197 and others.

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/15, 09:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts

I got it. The answer to the problem of "It's out of warranty, and unless it's perforated, we can't help ya."

Tomatoes and/or ketchup (or catsup, if that's your thing. And oh, I suppose, tomatoes instead of tomatoes, if you must. )

Put that on the hood. Instant corrosion/perforation of the hood, and voila! Warranty hood!

The acid in the tomatoes will eat the aluminum and cause the holes we need to have the hoods replace/repaired as needed.

I'mma try it. I'll let y'all know. Although I expect it'll be about a year before the holes show up...

/Knows it probably won't work.
//Also knows this incriminates him in his attempt to get the hood paint done fer nada.
///Screw it, hold my beer, doin' this.
Old 5/20/15, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol good luck
Old 5/20/15, 10:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Drill some hole in there before you put the matter juice on it.
Old 5/20/15, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I sorta kinda think they'll figure out the drilled holes bit, to be honest, Glenn.

I may try some H2SO4 or some HCl, which should work well, but... I mean, how many times can one run through real acid?

I mean, gettin' pelted by tomatoes or having ketchup squirted on a not-supposed-to-be-bare-but-is-because-Ford-can't-paint-aluminum-to-save-their-asses spot on the hood is easily explainable:

I'm a jerk. People don't like me, and they did that to make me a sad panda.

I can haz hood nao?

Last edited by houtex; 5/20/15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 5/20/15, 12:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
haha this just made my morning thank you lmao
Old 5/20/15, 01:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would suggest you just pick up an after market hood, possibly carbon fiber (leave it unpainted) or another Ford hood, without rust, from a salvage yard. It will cost you less then the lawyers fees, to defend you in court. Just a thought
Old 5/20/15, 04:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, yeah, that's sorta the idea. I get a new Cervini Cobra R hood because their hood (siphons with a great amount of negative pressure), even though I think it's still overall the best lookin' hood for the S197 05-09, but besides that, the Cervini is cheaper than their OEM one anyway, right? And they'll never have to worry about the problem ever again!

Win-win all 'round! I am teh sarmt!

Oh, and I'll be my own counsel for my defense, 'cause I can. I watch TV and movies, you know, so I know what to do.

"Your honer, them hoods they got (siphons with a great amount of negative pressure) for paintin', but they's got some dum rule about 'percolation'. Not m'fault that that there dang metal happens to not like tomaters! I kaint hep it if mah 'naybors' don't be all likin' me 'cause they jellous and smear that stuff on m'hood, now, can I? Nosir, I reckon not. I'll be restin' mah case, (siphon with a great amount of negative pressure) it, Pro-see-cute-er."

Last edited by houtex; 5/20/15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 5/20/15, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
ya know its not just the mustang hoods? Its sad when you have a perfectly good car except for the f uped hood.
I say we get 3 or 4000 people with messed up hoods and converge on ferd US world headquarters one day.
The following users liked this post:
John Reisigl (7/7/21)
Old 5/20/15, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Well, yeah, that's sorta the idea. I get a new Cervini Cobra R hood because their hood (siphons with a great amount of negative pressure), even though I think it's still overall the best lookin' hood for the S197 05-09, but besides that, the Cervini is cheaper than their OEM one anyway, right? And they'll never have to worry about the problem ever again!
That's exactly why I got the Shelby CS6 hood--never have to deal with hood corrosion again! Just rock chips and lesser fitment than what you'd expect from the Shelby name.
Old 5/20/15, 08:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Oh, btw Drano eats aluminum too
Old 5/21/15, 08:28 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,004 Likes on 622 Posts
Do the problems with the hoods show up from years spent outside in the elements or any environmental factors (like living in a polluted air city)?? I'm curious to know since everything is fine with mine so far. Is it just a matter of time for me too? Just 24k miles and spends it's life in the garage, outside of extended trips. Heavily waxed and always detailed when dirty. The hood was cut when new for the shaker hood but I don't see anything negative around the cut either.
Old 5/21/15, 07:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No. They show up any time for any reason. Doesn't matter if it's a DD or a garage queen.

And it apparently(?) doesn't happen to *all* the hoods. Some have somehow escaped the issue.

Either that, or nobody's lookin underneath, where it typically starts.

But enough of that, moar ways to, um, accelerate the perforation process. You know. For science, totally not any duplicitous use in any way, nosir.
Old 5/22/15, 12:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
The hood on my vert had problems. The hood on my current coupe is still good. Knock on wood.
Can I get a little parmesan with that sauce please?
Old 5/22/15, 01:17 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My hood on my 12 is still good as new. Granted I have a tire scuff mark from when my buddy backed into it with his FJ Cruiser (**** rear spare) but I just haven't polished it out yet. Other than that though I guess I'm one of the lucky few that got some quality paint on my hood.

I do believe I have a factory freak too because I can keep up with 370Z's on the arrow track and through some auto-x courses.
Old 5/22/15, 07:22 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,004 Likes on 622 Posts
houtex, thanks for the info. I've read quite a bit about the hood problems and just didn't know if there was a common cause.
Old 5/22/15, 08:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No prob!

They say that the cause is iron contamination on the aluminum, causing the paint to fall off as the aluminum reacts with the iron. Which is perfectly understandable. And may or may not be the case.

I mean, they *do* dunk the entire car, hood, fenders, doors and all in the two tanks before painting it, so maybe there's where the contamination happens. And if they filter/swap out that fluid, maybe the first few dozen get through uncontaminated, and then the later ones are swimming in 'dirty water', if you will.

Whatever the case, my hood is *riddled* with the underside delamination, and some of it's crept to the topside. I'd have it repainted, but I'm savin' up for that Cobra R hood.

One thing is certain. The problem is gravity, aluminum not being all that paintable without a LOT of help (read: sanding the fresh aluminum with 800 and then epoxy etching primer, for example) temperature changes causing the metal expansion/contraction, and/or finally the shaking of the panel for various reasons.

Paint just falls off the panel under there when you add all that up.

And no, apparently Ford does not use etching primer or it *wouldn't* be rampant. That stuff works awesome.

Anyway. Back to the AL alloy perforation experimentation...
Old 5/22/15, 08:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
For those of you saying your hoods are still good and like new, don't jinx yourself like that.
Old 5/22/15, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

When I was at Cars and Coffee the other day, another 13-14 Mustang parked next to me. His hood seams were clean with no weld splatters. Mine has a few. I think the uneven texture of the weld splatters is one factor that accelerates the peeling and I think he's got a lower likelihood of a problem. But so far, no blistering yet (fingers crossed).
Old 9/19/15, 12:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Lol after like 7 years fighting with ford on my oxidisation on my hood that started within the first year of being new , then they only repaired it came back huge. They paid 40% I paid 40% & the dealer that sold it to me paid 20%. Then after 2 months ford calls & says they want my old hood for study 😳 yah right I told them I known they just had 2 GT/CS in before mine take theirs no we want your hood No if I get my $600.00 that I had to pay for a new one you can they said no lol
I've seen this running ramp is here in Victoria BC on the Island there's 2 2012 Boss mustangs that had it & 80% of other mustangs I see get it. So Ford has a problem they will not admit to not do the job correct to fix it from occurring . My 2005 had it my 2007 GT/CS had it & again seen it on 3013 mustangs.
Old 9/22/15, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a black 2005 that had it on the hood and trunk. My wife had a ruby red tintcoat 2010 that developed it by the third year. I had a black 2011 that bubbled on the hood after less than a year and a half. I took the 2011 back to the dealer and they had it refinished for me. It looked real nice for about a year and then it got all bubbly again. I just keep tradin them in on new ones hoping they have solved the problem. LOL My wife and I now have 2014's (a black one and a silver one) and no bubbles or flakes yet. However the black paint on the 11 and 14 seem to have a soft clearcoat on them. Lots of scuffy looking scratches that never showed up on the black 2005 or the red car. These vehicles have been daily drivers and used in all types of weather but the marks are unsightly and do not go away with normal polishing / waxing. I have a black 2012 F250 with the same problem. Just wondered if anyone else noticed this on the black Fords.

Quick Reply: RE: Aluminum hoods, S197 and others.