The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Ponies on The Run (Again) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/ponies-run-again-432873/)

89Trooper 6/17/06 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
On the lean, I was focused on the Shaker, so didn't notice the suspension lean. You have an eagle eye for that one, my sight for that is probably that of a sparrow.

Am I right? Or am I nuts? Go look again...

swwake 6/17/06 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Am I right? Or am I nuts? Go look again...

No, I think you're right. I went back and looked at it the first time you pointed it out and even I could see the lean (unless it was camera angle, but I doubt it.) But Bill's right - you do have an eagle eye for that stuff.

TacoBill 6/17/06 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by st06vert
Who takes the pic while you are doing this?

Did you use your blow dryer or just let it dry on its own

All pics taken by me or by bro-in-law.

Yes to both. Some areas I let air dry and some areas I had to use the blow dryer.

See my next post for the grand finale!

TacoBill 6/18/06 12:43 AM

20 Attachment(s)
Stripes are complete! :banana:

Only had to complete the spoiler and both bumpers, but it took us several hours (incl. many well deserved breaks).

All in all, it turned out well. The only area that's 'so-so' was the gap at the front bumper nose. I did my best to hold and maintain a constant 2" gap, but it ended up an 1/8" wider at the nose. I could do no better. Can I live with this? Probably. I don't want to see any more stripes for a long time!

Rear bumber: This was a pain on the first side we did. It would start to crease everywhere as it was positioned where I wanted it to go. I started to wipe the vinyl down at area adjacent to the license plate and worked in both directions (up and down) from there. Heat (from the blow dryer) helped alot. Had to go at a snails pace; heat, wet, squeegie, hold and heat, repeat. Opposite side went smoother and quicker for some reason.

Spoiler: Easy compared to the bumbers.

Front bumper: Heat is a must, period. Process was like the rear bumper, it took what seemed like forever just to do that small length of vinyl. It could be my rookie skills, but it seemed impossible to stretch the vinyl towards the center nose to maintain the 2" gap and not crease the rest of the vinyl all to heck (remember, I'm dealing with 12" wide stripes). This whole process was slower than a snails pace, I really think a snail would've beat be down the vinyl.
The only bit of advise I can offer is slowly squeegie down any crease/bubbles and hold that position and blow dry (that newly flattened area), otherwise the air crease will 'walk' back. If a solid crease does start to form, you'll have to ever so carefully peel that crease up spraying the water solution as you go, then redo the squeegie thing.
You think reading all this is a pain, wait til you attempt this yourself.

CDC chin spoiler: Piece of cake. I used the extra 'front bumper license plate cut-out' strip of vinyl for this. I just cut a section out and used it (straight edge of vinyl to the outside, slight curved end towards the inside). Since I couldn't tuck the vinyl between the CDC and grille (double side taped), I heated the area where the 2 parts mate and used the edge of the squeegie to create a trim line. Took a razor to it for a clean trim.

Enjoy the pics.

89Trooper 6/18/06 08:49 AM

Looks great, Bill... I really can't see what your talking about as far as the 1/8" wider gap. It's probably one of those things that if you didn't point it out, nobody would notice. I guess I can see it in the overhead shot, but it just looks a little wider because it's closer in the picture. Were you standing on your neighbor's car? Cause I can see the Tacoma in the driveway.

TacoBill 6/18/06 10:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Looks great, Bill... I really can't see what your talking about as far as the 1/8" wider gap. It's probably one of those things that if you didn't point it out, nobody would notice. I guess I can see it in the overhead shot, but it just looks a little wider because it's closer in the picture. Were you standing on your neighbor's car? Cause I can see the Tacoma in the driveway.

Here's a full frontal shot; more apparent straight on.

Like you said, most people probably wouldn't notice unless scrutinizing the stripes. I have to learn to let small things go. I could ask for a replacement set, but that's no assurance that it'll look any better. For what it's worth, I had zero creases on that front bumper, couple of small bubbles, but I think they'll lay down on their own later.

I was standing on an 8' ladder, my Tacoma isn't lifted that high!

89Trooper 6/18/06 10:30 AM

I guess I can see it, but on a 2D picture, it just looks like it's wider because it is closer. Like the roof gets narrower because it's farther away.

Still think it looks great! Awesome, even! (typing that reminded me of Snagglepuss)

http://people.bu.edu/lilwong/index_f...nagglepuss.jpg

I have to learn to let small things go.

Heavens to Murgatroid, you and me, both!

Exit... stage left.

swwake 6/18/06 10:31 AM

Bill - gorgeous! Thanks for the pics and write-up.

TacoBill 6/18/06 11:18 AM

Thanks again for the kudos.

I'm looking forward to hear from Daryl, the Senior stripe installer.

btw- Happy Fathers Day! :-D

89Trooper 6/18/06 11:24 AM

Yes... Happy Father's Day!

I need opinions on a black spoiler. The 2003 & 2004 Mach 1's had a shaker, black graphics on the hood, a black chin spoiler, a black stripe down the side, and a black spoiler, regardless of the color of the car:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...SYCOMach1s.jpg

Well, now I have a shaker.
I'm still thinking about getting the CDC chin spoiler and keeping it black.
I'll think about getting that black graphic on the hood if Daryl Photochops it for me and it looks good.
I want a black stripe on the side like the GT/CS.

So... what about a black spoiler? I would get one on eBay and not paint mine. That will be cheaper and I could go back to white if I wanted to later.

OKCMustangGT 6/18/06 01:31 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Bill the stripes look fantastic, excellent job. I need another vinyl job done I know who to call right? :-D
Weather changed and instead of windy and rainy today, it's hot and still. So I got my stripes finished as well. She is all done now, and Bill I have the same gap as you, 2" till the middle then 2-1/8" couldn't maintain it no matter how hard I tried.
The driver side came out with bubbles which I will pop and smooth out later.
Final Pics.
Attachment 2549Attachment 2550Attachment 2551
I got a few minutes I'll start working on a Chop for you Tom.
I already voiced my opinion on the chin spoiler, I said Black from the start. I was the odd ball if I remember correctly too. :-D
I think your idea would look good, with rear black spoiler as well, especially with your blackout panel.

OKCMustangGT 6/18/06 01:32 PM

HAPPY FATHER's DAY EVERYONE !!!!!

OKCMustangGT 6/18/06 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, Tom. I wish my Chop Skills were like some others on this forum, but maybe this will give you an idea. (Can't figure out how to make good clear turn signals :(
Attachment 2557
I think this setup would ROCK !! :metal:

89Trooper 6/18/06 02:32 PM

Thanks for the chop! I hate to be picky, but I think I would have the side stripe lowered toward the center of the door like in the GT/CS shot in my post above. And I would have the hood graphic more like the Mach 1 above. So, I'll be waiting for the modified photochop! :yup:

Just kidding... but if you DO have time...

89Trooper 6/18/06 02:49 PM

So, I guess I'll go for it...

Black Spoiler

OKCMustangGT 6/18/06 03:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Any Better ? :dunno:
Attachment 2569

OKCMustangGT 6/18/06 03:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bill you have a shaker ? :-D
Attachment 2572
Doesn't look right the way I did it, but oh well

89Trooper 6/18/06 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Any Better ? :dunno:

Yes! Still have to think about that black in front of the shaker. However, it's just vinyl and pretty cheap. If I don't like it, I'll just peel it off!

TacoBill 6/18/06 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Bill you have a shaker ? :-D

Doesn't look right the way I did it, but oh well

Thanks for the chop! Shaker IS happening, due in this Thursday.

I was hoping the cam covers would be in by now, but haven't heard anything yet. I'm still going to press on with the Shaker install with or without the cam covers. When the covers do arrive, I'll just pop off the Shaker shroud for the cam cover swap. Hopefully won't be a big issue removing the scoop and shroud.

Daryl, your front bumper stripes came out great too! How did the blow dryer work? Did you use the same method I used or a different one?
And I agree, if we were working with 8" stripes, I think we could have moved it inwards at the nose a bit, but with the 12inchers... forget about it! I'm glad your's didn't hold a constant gap there in a twisted, sick sort of sense. :-D

OKCMustangGT 6/18/06 08:51 PM

Thanks for the chop! Shaker IS happening, due in this Thursday.

I was hoping the cam covers would be in by now, but haven't heard anything yet. I'm still going to press on with the Shaker install with or without the cam covers. When the covers do arrive, I'll just pop off the Shaker shroud for the cam cover swap. Hopefully won't be a big issue removing the scoop and shroud.

Daryl, your front bumper stripes came out great too! How did the blow dryer work? Did you use the same method I used or a different one?
And I agree, if we were working with 8" stripes, I think we could have moved it inwards at the nose a bit, but with the 12inchers... forget about it! I'm glad your's didn't hold a constant gap there in a twisted, sick sort of sense. :-D

Used the same method as you, a little fluid, a little blow dryer, a little stretch. :-D
My son helped me too, and that extra set of hands made things go so much faster and smoother.
Next mod on the way now, I'm canceling my order from MCD for the clear turn signals and placed one with a guy that posted on here and had 4 sets, these are a guarantee should have for this weekend.