General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

new york state speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/06, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am new here and I would like some help if anybody had the same situation I had.

About 6 years ago, I was first caught in around Albany on I-87 on my way to go to NYC driving at 117 mph and the state trooper that caught me told me that since I am canadian (I'm from Quebec) he is not allowed to bring me to Jail or impound the car but I was off with some sort of ticket showing the speed I was driving.

All this happened a second time about 6 months later in Chesterfield, NY driving 111 mph and I received a similar ticket from the police officer. Then a few months later I received by mail a letter asking me to go to court with 2 different days and failure to do so would be considered as pleading guilty, and I didn't show up. Then other letter came with the judge's name saying I was guilty and that if I didn't pay the fine (I don't even remember the amount) that I would not be allowed to drive for a certain number of years in New England and that if US Customs caught me crossing the border or I was stopped again I will be brought into custody until I appear in court.

Does anybody had a similar situation and recall the number of years before one can go back into the US? or anybody knows what I can do? I really need to go to NYC in a few weeks and if anybody had any info it will appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 1/7/06, 07:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not familiar with this situation, but I would slow down a bit perhaps in the future :P

Welcome to the site, hopefully someone has some advice that can help you out.
Old 1/7/06, 11:59 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my question is... why would be be driving 110+ mph that often to get caught?
Old 1/7/06, 01:03 PM
GTR Member

I'd just take a plane to NYC if i were you then when you get their, take a taxi
Old 1/7/06, 05:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm with Doug. Don't drive.

Also, the best source for info regarding this would be to call the locality where it happened.

And, Slow Down.
Old 1/7/06, 05:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Go to officer.com and post your question in the "Ask a Cop" forum.
Old 1/7/06, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

You must have your metric/english conversion reversed!
Old 1/7/06, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

wow... i can just about hit 100 b4 being nervous. seriously try a fly in. I'd check and make sure u have it solved cuz i know i wouldnt want to be haveing a warrant.
Old 1/10/06, 09:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Maybe you should contact them, pay the fine, then slow down from now on. Just a thought. :scratch:
Old 1/10/06, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

don't come to america and drive like a friggin donkey named jack thats my suggestion. if you agree raise your right foot...
Old 1/10/06, 12:59 PM

Here is the best solution, cross the border get caught at customs and spend a few days in jail here in good old USA, remember you are a guest in our country and I for one don't need you driving like a complete fool!
Old 1/10/06, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Stay in Canada. Party in Montreal.
Old 1/10/06, 05:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tricksixtyfive+January 10, 2006, 12:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tricksixtyfive @ January 10, 2006, 12:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>don't come to america and drive like a friggin donkey named jack thats my suggestion. if you agree raise your right foot...
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-SCREMNGT
@January 10, 2006, 3:02 PM
Here is the best solution, cross the border get caught at customs and spend a few days in jail here in good old USA, remember you are a guest in our country and I for one don't need you driving like a complete fool!
[/quote]

There are plenty of Americans who drive at speeds higher than what he was doing, as there are many Canadians who do. Please do not create the policical issues/stereotyping. I realize that you are proud to be American, but don't be a jerk to those who are not.
Old 1/10/06, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

As a former New York state resident, New York state is NOT the place to speed!!! Speed enforcement is RELENTLESS. Say what you want, but the troopers are extremely professional and fair. I am pretty sure that as a resident, you would have at the least lost your license, anything 25 mph over the limit has serious fines. At least $600 American, for your offenses. If you want to drive that fast and get away with it try the QEW to Toronto. But in New York, anything over 80 mph is pushing it and if you're not in traffic, 76 mph in a 65 zone can get you a ticket also. I'd fly to New York, it's faster than anything you will ever drive.
Old 1/10/06, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Buy a sport bike, then go 150mph everywhere you drive, that way the police cant catch you.

That or pay your tickets like a man (you did deserve them) and slow down next time.
Old 1/11/06, 11:17 AM

The point here is that if this guy want to disobey the law and then be come criminal by not paying for his decision then why should anyone help him? I respect the laws of Canada when I am a guest in their Country, I don't think it is to much to ask that he does the same as a guest in my Country.

Then again perhaps there are no reasons for laws or consequencies????
Old 1/11/06, 01:16 PM
V6 Member

Here's another vote for "Pay the fines."

You got busted, ingnored a court order, were found guilty. Seems pretty cut & dry to me.

Your question shouldn't be about a statute of limitations but where to send the check.
Old 1/13/06, 06:45 PM

for those who's been saying "just pay the fine", I have no problem with that. The only problem I have is trying to get the amount to pay and how. I tried calling the courthouse and was told to look for the letter that was sent to me, when I said I can't find it, I was told I had no choice but to go there in person and speak to a judge who will tell me how to pay it, thing is as soon as I cross the border, even if it is to pay the fine, I'll be caught and sent to jail.

And I don't want to get into any political issues here but here where I live, I see americans crossing the border through the Lacolle and get into A15 at 120 mph very often
Old 1/13/06, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Let's all be cool here, America needs all the friends She can get! Can the Canadien government answer your questions? Maybe customs? Have you tried looking the courthouse up online and emailing someone your question? Surely someone will be able to see that you are trying to right a wrong and will try to help you pay your fines. Try calling again, maybe you will get someone more helpful this time. Sorry if we Americans have offended you, but we do speak our minds, and LOVE our freedom of speech like nothing else! Good luck to you, and I hope you make it over and spend lots of money! (just kidding about the money!)
Old 1/18/06, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

^Moron :bang:

Quick Reply: new york state speeding ticket