General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

New Mustang Turn Offs

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/07, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mustang Turn Offs

1. I was very into the new Mustang. I poured over the brochure over the weekend. Here's what I didn't like.

I don't know if the Shaker 1000 is worth extra money or not, but none of the new Mustangs have HD Radio, so they would have to be replaced.

I loved the look of the California Package and that would bring me in, but it's only available in the Delux model GT. The Deluxe model GT is a Shaker 500 radio option. What's that about? What does the California Special package have to do with the radio?

I have to throw the radio out because it isn't an HD Radio so to get the California package, I have to pay for and then throw out the 'deluxe' portion of the car. Now, that's bad enough, but it wouldn't stop me. But here's what turns me off.

The reason that the Ford Radio isn't an HD Radio is because they are committed to pushing Sirius subscription radio, with Howard Stern. They percieve HD Radio provides a less expensive, non-subscription alternative to Serius. So Ford is using the California Special package to push an antiquated radio option because they are acting for the best interest of Sirous radio and Howard Stern.

I hate Howard Stern and I would not buy a Serious Radio product if it was free.

So, I'm not getting one.

2. The interior color set up is terrible. It's all dark. Why can't Ford offer a light color interior instead of just a few inserts and the rest of the interior is all dark? I don't like dark interior. It always looks like its dirty and it doesn't provide a contrast to the dash. In the '60s, interiors were available in a lot of different light colors.

Ford could, they just don't want to so as to tick me off.
Old 1/22/07, 11:04 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jamo
1. I was very into the new Mustang. I poured over the brochure over the weekend. Here's what I didn't like.

I don't know if the Shaker 1000 is worth extra money or not, but none of the new Mustangs have HD Radio, so they would have to be replaced.

I loved the look of the California Package and that would bring me in, but it's only available in the Delux model GT. The Deluxe model GT is a Shaker 500 radio option. What's that about? What does the California Special package have to do with the radio?

I have to throw the radio out because it isn't an HD Radio so to get the California package, I have to pay for and then throw out the 'deluxe' portion of the car. Now, that's bad enough, but it wouldn't stop me. But here's what turns me off.

The reason that the Ford Radio isn't an HD Radio is because they are committed to pushing Sirius subscription radio, with Howard Stern. They percieve HD Radio provides a less expensive, non-subscription alternative to Serius. So Ford is using the California Special package to push an antiquated radio option because they are acting for the best interest of Sirous radio and Howard Stern.

So, I'm not getting one.

2. The interior color set up is terrible. It's all dark. Why can't Ford offer a light color interior instead of just a few inserts and the rest of the interior is all dark? I don't like dark interior. It always looks like its dirty and it doesn't provide a contrast to the dash. In the '60s, interiors were available in a lot of different light colors.

Ford could, they just don't want to so as to tick me off.

My take on your post...don`t get me wrong...just my take.

1.) I will not pay money for Radio. Period. I did not grow up paying for radio , I will NEVER pay for it now. That is what CD`s , Cassetts and 8-Track tapes were for.The Shaker 500 is great for me as it sounds just fine and the Shaker 1000 is just a added Boom Box subs.

If a radio is going to stop you from purchasing a Mustang , You really do not want a Mustang. Period.

2.) Ever look inside of a 1967 Mustang? You had pretty much 3 choices...Black , Red or Tan. Not any different choices there...Just the standard fare. A little chrome on the seats and dash , but that was it. The Mustang is a throw-back to that. You are considering purchasing a 1967 Mustang with a new body and all the latest saftey features. It has a Tremec Racing Transmission <Manual> and a Posi-Track <live> rear axel. It is not a Lexus , Cadillac or Crown Vic. You may have enjoyed it for what it is.

Sorry you arn`t going to get one.
Old 1/22/07, 11:20 AM
GT Member

So, I'm not getting one.
Siriusly?
Old 1/22/07, 11:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm sure you grasp the whole reason that most of us have purchased these cars.
Old 1/22/07, 12:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
I'm sure you grasp the whole reason that most of us have purchased these cars.
To get chicks?
Old 1/22/07, 12:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't buy it then.
Old 1/22/07, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

i never noticed mine had a radio until you mentioned it.
Old 1/22/07, 07:48 PM
Number Cruncher

Originally Posted by neil07gt
i never noticed mine had a radio until you mentioned it.
Old 1/22/07, 08:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

I paid the extra bucks for the Shaker 1000 and I won't need to replace or upgrade, ever. I completely agree w/KdF, I will not pay for radio. Is HD radio that important to you ? Isn't there CDs or an iPod that can replace the radio with a much better selection and no wacky-morning-DJs.....I for one would not consider the Shaker 500/1000 outdated by any means, is it an aftermarket radio, no. It's a really good stock unit, IMO, yes.

As far as the interior being too dark, did you see the Graphite and the Chamois options, hey I know it's only two, but I don't see how they can be called dark but any stretch.

But like most people I certainly didn't buy this car for the radio or the expansive color selections. To each his own I guess. I'm no psychic, but I stayed at the Holiday Inn last night, but it sounds like you are finding any reason not to get one. If that's the case then any and every chance you get once you do buy one, if you do, you will find reasons to be disappointed. Why go through the hassle, just buy a Chevy I'm sure they have something to compete with the Mustang now.
Old 1/22/07, 08:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by atomicvibe
To get chicks?
Bingo.
Old 1/22/07, 08:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by atomicvibe
To get chicks?
yep, and to go fast
Old 1/22/07, 08:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

You said you just looked at the brochures, but did you actually drive it? You might be feeling differently if you had driven the car. I certainly did! I loved the car before I drove it, and I couldn't live without it after!!!
Old 1/23/07, 06:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
the day I got my car I took it home and bashed the radio in with a hammer no hd WTF lol
Old 1/23/07, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey! "To get chicks..?" What about all the women who buy Mustangs. Saw a large F-150, driven by a great looking blond with this on the rear window: "This is not my boy friend's truck!"
Old 1/23/07, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
You said you just looked at the brochures, but did you actually drive it? You might be feeling differently if you had driven the car. I certainly did! I loved the car before I drove it, and I couldn't live without it after!!!
^^^+1 , now on to your post.

not to attack you but seriously your going to decide on a car based on a Radio? I don't think you want a Mustang, bacuase if a Radio (that you have to pay for ) is a big deciding factor then hop on over to Toyota pick your self up a Scion TC. OK one more thing here I have no clue what your talking about with this HD radio stuff (who knew you needed static in HD).

There are alot of local stations that play in my area that say "we are playing in HD radio" and I never notice a difference between them and the other stations (even in on different more expensive after market units) Also the Shaker 500 is good enough head unit, the 1000 is not worth getting all mad over. Oh and I can ashure you Ford does not give a rats *** about Sirius or Howard Stern, it's a popular option that many car companies have adopted before Ford did.

Also your problem with the interior is really stupid there are plenty of options to choose from. Don't like dark then get the tan interior with the silver IUP and your car will be plenty light enough.

As for your GT/CS package problem, I don't get that either as I am on the Ford website right now and I can put the GT/CS option on a Premium GT, and with a Premium GT the shaker 500 is not an option it's included. Thats OK that your not getting one though, one less to hold up my order.
Attached Thumbnails New Mustang Turn Offs-priceandbuild.jpg  
Old 1/23/07, 01:41 PM
V6 Member

Thank you all for your responses. I really was just venting. No, the radio probably is not going to stop me if I want the car, but I am turned off that they connect the California Special option to a radio upgrade, and a radio upgrade that isn't that far up. HD Radio is really a big improvement, if you listen to radio, and you don't have to subscribe.

I thought it was high class of you guys not to swear at me too much.

P.S. With the C/S package you get black doors and black leather seats with only light 'inserts' optionally. You can't get a light interior.
Old 1/23/07, 09:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wouldn't want the C/S personally, it would drag HORRIBLY on my driveway entrance. My current regular GT is close (about 3/4 inch) from dragging as it is!
Old 1/23/07, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Also, if HD is a big deal to you, get the Shaker 500 option, and then get an aftermarket HD head unit. Crutchfield makes some easy swap options that look decent and are pretty painless to install. Everyone says that with a good aftermarket head unit, the shaker 500 REALLY wakes up and is an excellent sounding system.

So in closing, you could have a much better quality sound system with HD for just the extra cost of the head unit.
Old 1/23/07, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thank you all for your responses. I really was just venting. No, the radio probably is not going to stop me if I want the car, but I am turned off that they connect the California Special option to a radio upgrade, and a radio upgrade that isn't that far up. HD Radio is really a big improvement, if you listen to radio, and you don't have to subscribe.

I thought it was high class of you guys not to swear at me too much.

P.S. With the C/S package you get black doors and black leather seats with only light 'inserts' optionally. You can't get a light interior.
You know, they actually require the Shaker 500 up here in Canada, so its not too big of a deal i guess. I have no idea what HD radio is anyway so it doesnt matter.
Old 1/24/07, 02:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

listen to the v8 engine. it sounds better than any radio i've ever heard.

Quick Reply: New Mustang Turn Offs