General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Are Mustangs Fun Without Modding?

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/07, 10:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Mustangs Fun Without Modding?

So much of the conversation turns on this modification and that modification. Mustangs are great for modification because the parts and technology and knowhow is readily available and the reward is great in terms of squeezing performance from a V8.

But if you just wanted to keep it stock, would you be happy with Mustang? Would a Mazdaspeed3 or a WRX or something else be a more rewarding ride?

I guesss it's a stupid question, never mind. I mean, they are clearly ***** o'fun, no matter what. I guess what I'm asking is how does modability change Mustang's appeal.
Old 2/23/07, 10:10 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd take any mustang, stock or custom. It just depends on personal taste. I externally modded mine cause there's not much you can do with a 2.3L other than an engine swap. And no, I'd wouldn't be caught dead in either the mazda or the wrx!
Old 2/23/07, 10:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO the Mustang is great as it is. I am doing some modifications to mine, but really not much compared to alot of people. Of course I want to squeeze as much HP out of it as I can afford, but I did that with my previous car. I don't think it's a "Mustang" characteristic. I think alot of us see the S197 as a blank template to make it 'our own'.

Would a Mazda or WRX be more rewarding.??? I dunno, what's rewarding to you. Your car is what YOU make it. I would bet there are just as many people on boards modding WRXs and maybe Mazdas as there is here.

For me, Stock, the Mustang has been the funnest, fastest and best handling car I've owned for the price. It's got it's flaws yes but the 'fun factor', for me, completely overrides the flaws. Modding the S197 just amplifies the fun
Old 2/23/07, 11:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've had mine for about 1.5 years and 38K miles, totally stock and I couldn't be happier with it!! It is by far the most fun to drive car I've ever had, and LOVE driving it EVERY DAY. There are only a handful of things I would do to it if I had the $$. Some things, like suspension, I am totally happy with. I loved it when I was cruising on the interstate @70 a week ago around midnight and a Hemi Ram tried to race. 3rd gear, rear end squats down, front end lifts up, and he was seeing taillights all the way to 140 when I was about 1/8 mile ahead of him. I slowed down and he was just giving me the biggest grin and a huge thumbs up. Loved it!! A better (aftermarket) suspension wouldn't let it squat or lift as much, but it wouldn't look as cool either!
Old 2/23/07, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
I hope so! I'm gettin my V6 in May! Won't be modifying it anytime soon.
Old 2/23/07, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

well i've been driving it stock and it's been fun
but will modding make it even more fun?

is that even possible...
Old 2/23/07, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have (2) 2006 Mustangs. One is for modding and one is for the wife (mostly stock). The only thing we had to do with both was a CAI and DiabloSport Tuner. Once you have driven a car with an intake and tune, the stock one is a dinosaur. It's not so much a power difference as it is a response difference.

I also have a bone stock 1995 Subaru Legacy Lsi 4 banger. When you have 4" of snow, this is a Great car. Although it is not fast, or flashy, all wheel drive allows for high speed turns and some winter drifting!

To each their own, but I couldn't own a "performance car" without squeezing the performance out of it.
Old 2/23/07, 09:50 PM
FR500 Member

Kind of depends on what you consider "fun" and if the vehicle in question has characteristics/strengths in that area. Seems the reason for the Mustang's creation was fun in the 1st place.
Old 2/24/07, 12:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Fun Heck Yah , but like Shaun had said exactly with a CAI even its so much more responsive, I would really like to get a tuner but do not really know a whole lot about them. Heck I can drive untill my eyes start to shut, Yes they are that much FUN ! I Promiss.
OH I've only had my GT/CS for what just over a week and time for first oil change soon ! I do it 1/2 tops take it in well over 1 hr, so my son will learn how it is done. Mobil 1 here I come.
Old 2/24/07, 12:58 AM
Bullitt Member

to me it keeps the car (any car)feeling new..I get bored quickly and also the saving and researching for the next mod ..a motivationg goal i guess you could say is another reason I like modding
Old 2/24/07, 01:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member Eu Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car is stock AFAIK, and I'm having fun with it

Considering minor things, such as a CAI, flowmasters and a chiptune, but none of those are set in stone. So it might just stay stock (Doesn't help that actually buying the mods costs more over here due to shipping )
Old 2/24/07, 02:24 AM
GT Member

Mustang=Fun

Modding is just a way to have even more fun.
Old 2/24/07, 05:32 AM
V6 Member

I have had my GT/CS for 2 months now and have been thinking about modding but I have been enjoying it as is . I have been using it as my primary car but I am going to look for a cheap used car to start putting miles on it instead. After that I am definately hitting the modding scene.
Old 2/24/07, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
The only "mod" I've done to my 05 GT is better floor mats. I like to keep my car stock. I take good care of it and it looks as good now as when I picked her up. The interesting thing is that when you go to some car shows like Barrett Jackson, many of the favorite cars are restored to their stock configuration. For example, I think that some of the coolest Mustangs I've seen are the 65s that are like new and restored to stock condition. You see alot of these type of cars at Barrett Jackson and they are beautiful. But the thing about Mustangs are that whether you mod it or keep it stock, you still have a great car to drive and enjoy. By the way even though I replaced my floor mats with better ones, I did keep the originals.
Old 2/24/07, 09:01 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't think it NEEDS to be modded.
The car is fun right off the truck.
That being said, I didn't change a thing for the first hour I had it.
It was at least 3 or 4 hours before I started really taking things apart.
I can't help it. I have been fiddling with cars for 30 years.
I really don't want to change much on the car, but I want some things my way.