The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Mustang of the Decade (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/mustang-decade-479451/)

RED ROUSH WA 1/3/10 09:21 PM

Alot of nice Stangs came out in these past 10 years. I cant really vote on one mustang cause they all are great.
To me it's not all about rarest, the fastest, or the most expensive.
These past ten years are all really good mustangs,
but the one I bought was my Torch Red 2005 Roush Stage 2.
It's not on the list but I really enjoy it and it's mine.
So I guess the best mustang in this Decade is, the one you choose as your own.:nice::flag:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ars-cover1.jpg

zektor 1/4/10 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 5790687)
I have to respectfully disagree. I think the intro of the '05 Mustang helped broaden the market for the Mustang (older fans that liked the 60s cars) but the previous 4th gen was very popular in its own right. The aftermarket and customization of Mustangs was pioneered by the fox body and up Mustangs. The wide variety of customization must have also helped the '05 succeed.

One think I have to admit is that the '05 without question inspired the comeback of both the Challenger and Camaro... so perhaps it may be a little more influential than I give it credit for.

If you look at the sales figures the 05-09 Mustang is right in line with the 99-04 Mustang.

I accept your opinion. But up to when the 2005 Mustang came out, I had two Corvette's. I was about to buy a new Corvette C5 when I saw the upcoming 2005 Mustang. Changed my mind and bought the Mustang instead. Why? Because the new Mustang looks fantastic. Up until the '05 model came out, the previous Mustang's just didn't look as good in my opinion. No doubt 2004 and earlier cars were good cars... they just don't look the part.

If the 2005 Mustang GT was good enough to get me out of buying another Corvette, then in my opinion it is the best iteration of Mustang in the last decade. And it should well and truly be in the list?

I ask why it isn't?

97svtgoin05gt 1/4/10 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by AFBLUE (Post 5789526)
This is my favorite...2008 Shelby GT...but I'm biased.

Holy crap! Is there a car in that picture?????????? :wub:

97svtgoin05gt 1/4/10 07:35 AM

BTW, the Heritage is my fav version although there have been a ton of very worthy products, most of which are on the list. There probably isn't a wrong answer here, just different tastes.

anteyeiabazele 1/4/10 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt (Post 5791222)
There probably isn't a wrong answer here, just different tastes.

I would have to agree!
Perhaps a more accurate question would have been which of the 00-10 Stangs is the best performing one!

cdynaco 1/4/10 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Notch (Post 5789614)
Three '00-'04, and sixteen '05-'10. :screwy:

Yeah... and of the SEVEN 2008's on the list, doesn't even have one of the Two Coolest Cars in America (by Edmunds no less);

Comparison Test: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt
The Two Coolest Cars in America
By Chris Walton, Chief Road Test Editor | Published Apr 29, 2008
"It's no wonder the 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt has our respect. It's the best version yet of the 2005 Ford Mustang, the car that set Detroit on fire again with enthusiasm for good old American muscle."
http://www.insideline.com/dodge/chal...g-bullitt.html

SONICBOOST 1/4/10 01:34 PM

My vote went to the 2003 SVT cobra!

SpencerStangz 1/4/10 01:45 PM

i voted for the '03 Terminator simply because the 2005 wasnt on the list...like others, it inspired me and i think it was the only reason I traded in my customized '04...the retro feel was right and continues to this day...

edumspeed 1/4/10 05:09 PM

Voted 03 Cobra. :nice:

2k7gtcs 1/4/10 05:50 PM

I voted for the 2000 Cobra R. I think it is THE Mustang of the decade, but I would rate the Termis right up there with them. I think the Termis are the best Mustang model of the decade, but the R is the single best Mustang of the decade of that makes sense.

bpmurr 1/4/10 09:18 PM

2010 GT500 for me! :)

CompGT10 1/5/10 12:18 PM

It was a tough choice but personally you can not go wrong with the 03-04 Cobra... that motor is the basis of ALL that has happend in the Shelby and SN195 and beyond... no matter what you throw at that motor it'll just giggle and ask for more. My only qualm with the car is the independent rear suspension throwing all that extra weight around. Besides all that it's one of the greatest 'Stangs Ford produced since the late model Fox. The Cobra R is an amazing car but it's not practical for every day use.. now you can put at least twice the power on the street. Not to mention the car is just SEXY haha

mustangman1960 1/6/10 10:38 AM

2008 Shelby GT Convertible

cocojoe53 1/8/10 08:43 PM

The best balanced Mustang ever made was the 2001 Bullitt...I have driven most of this list, and for the most part are understeering to a point that turning should be a last resort

1999 Black 35th GT 1/10/10 09:24 AM

03 Cobra. I think it was the Mustang that broke all of the boundaries and started Ford off again to what they are now.

BA Mustang 1/10/10 09:32 AM

Steeda Streetfighter

cntchds 1/11/10 12:28 AM

Seems like we can't go a week without a new "limited edition" S197. I chose the 2000 Cobra R. Everything else here is going in the wrong direction if you ask me. Too much weight in the S197, and the car is huge. I wish Mustangs were still a smaller rather than Ford hitting the "Resize to 110%" for each generation... I quite simply can not understand it.

That all being said, I love the idea that you can drive the car to the track kick some bootay and drive home on the streets in it. Just too cool.

DaddyJ 1/11/10 05:53 PM

While the '05GT arguably reignited the pony car wars so has significance well beyond Ford, the Terminator got my vote. The legends, myths and actual feats of the car are particularly part of every facet of the culture. it showed Ford (any American company) could build a care capable of challenging the "ultimate" American icon - the Vette. For those of us who just missed out driving in the '60s, the past ten years have been a GREAT time to be into cars.

edumspeed 1/11/10 06:00 PM

:agree: Amen!

ford4v429 1/12/10 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 5789601)
Mustang of the Decade is the 2005 Mustang GT. Most of the others wouldn't even be around if not for that car. I'm personally not a fan of the Saleen's, Roush's, etc.

If I had to pic a more limited edition car for MOTD, it would have to be the new Bullitt. I think that car brings together more than any other, the ties to both the past and the future of the Mustang.

I couldnt agree more John...thats why I didnt vote.

the 05 GT set the ponycar craze back on track, was possibly the best mustang bang for the buck EVER offered, all wrapped up in a beautiful looking body at a price a working guy could afford...

look at the pricing of other cars in 05- the basic gt was right there pricewise, with better 'everything' than anything else out there- yes I'm Biased, but IMO if Ford hadnt hit the nail on the head like they did with the 05 mustang, I seriously doubt the camaro/challenger would have existed other than concept cars at a auto show- if even that... I really think the 2005 Mustang GT was the single biggest reason performance cars didnt die altogether- even with gas near $5 a gallon, the performance cars kept coming...the GTO being a great example of what didnt work- great car, heck yes, but it didnt have the looks- the 05 Mustang did, and even if the GTO was a 'better' car by some yardsticks, it didnt sell, and its brand still died. Looks ARE important, sales/pricing ARE important- in that regard I think the 05 GT was perhaps THE single most important/best bang for the buck/etc of all time.

how many folks were on TMS prior to 2004 when the 05 came out? how many % wise drive a car still based off the 05 mustang- not knocking the awesome cobras/shelbys/bullitts/CSs/mach1s...but what single model had the biggest 'impact' on the big picture?