General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

MGW Shifter installed - thoughts/impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/11, 10:50 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
MGW Shifter installed - thoughts/impressions

UPDATE 12/27/2011: Put on about 350 miles on the MGW shifter. They were right... it does get a little "looser" as the miles get added on. Not sure looser is the right word... but it feels like it snicks into place more solidly, smoothly, and reassuringly. This shifter rocks. Between it and my GT500 ab's, not sure which I love better. The shifter just feels so GOOD to shift... best way I can explain it. Will post more updates once I get more miles on her.

================================================== =========

Well, I finally got my MGW shifter installed... am very pleased with the results. No major issues that I ran into. The toughest parts were installing the 4 bolts that secure the shifter assembly to the clamshell, since I had no allen head bits for my drill. So I had to use an improvised allen wrench with an extension. The dust boot was a pain in the rear to get over the ridge and to sit under the tranny tunnel. But other than that, no other issues. I just drove it up on ramps, and buddy and I went to town.

It took us a total of about 3.5 hours. We were taking our sweet time. I wanted everything done right and to the T. Heck, pulling apart the clamshell took 5 minutes alone. Then suprisingly, during install, I was underneath the car, I had the bottom clamshell held with the shift linkage and bushings in there, then my buddy comes in from inside the car, drops the top clamshell in, and we were thinking this will take FOREVER to get mated up. He gets it done in FIVE seconds. I kid you not. No clue how we did that. The other part that took a long time was bolting up that top shifter assembly. No drill bits for allen took us 1/2 hour, and banged knuckles... grrrrr. Then the DUST BOOT. God that dust boot. Getting it over the assembly lips took FOREVER and more banged knuckles. And getting that boot under that bottom lip was a pain. But we got 'er done. DEFINITELY a TWO person job overall.

Impressions:

1) Appearance
Definitely much better looking that the stock shifter assembly, esp with MGW shift **** installed. It just looks so beefy. I love that part of it.

2) Build Quality
2nd to none. Looks like George (MGW) really took his time with the design of this entire assembly. All studs, bolt holes, lined up perfecty. The MGW clam shell itself is a piece of art. Beefy and with looks to boot. Perfect. Like holding a miniature tank in your hand... lol

3) Feel/Performance
This is where any shifter, esp OEM, can't hold a candle to MGW. After driving the stock shifter, then the new MGW shifter, I now know what "imprecise", and "sloppy" mean. Holy ****. MGW's shifter is so TIGHT and PRECISE, with absolutely no slop. The throws are a tad shorter, and it just SNICKS into place. The snap to center (esp from 2 to 3 shift) is just perfect. I can just FEEL the gears go into place so well now. Best way to explain it, the OEM shifter was vague, imprecise, albeit it short throws. It just didn't give you good reassurance that you were in the right gear correctly. The MGW is complete opposite. It just "bangs" into gear with a very reassuring "snick". You know what I mean? No doubts, no vagueness... it just feels SO right and SO good. It just feels solid.... I think that's the best way I can explain it. Solid, reassuring shifts.... it makes me feel "good" to shift... lol

4) Sound
It definitely sounds a tad louder than stock during shifting... but in normal driving, no sound. Actually seems quiter than stock. Then again, I took special care to place Dynamat in proper places. And come to think of it, I kindda like hearing my shifter snick into place.

Big big improvement from stock shifter. No more vagueness and sloppy feel. It feels very tight now. This is a definite to do item. If you've gotten used to the stock shifter, you need to feel what it's like to have a "real" shifter in there. Those of you on the fence on getting this, without a DOUBT. Get it. You won't be disappointed.

So again, thanks to MGW, and to George. What a standup guy... always ready and willing and able to help customers like me do the install. He even told me to call him at night if I ran into problems during the install. Now THAT'S Customer Service. He's a hell of a guy, and a **** good engineer. That shifter was designed WELL. I think his video was cheating though... doing it all on a bench top LOL... made it look easy. And that dust boot he used, that had to be a really soft/demo piece... because stretching a NEW dust boot is hell on earth. LOL.

Here's some pics of the assembly/**** on my car... about the best I can do for this type of upgrade. Sorry no pics during install. I was too busy swearing at myself and my bleeding knuckles. LOL.

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/27/11 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11/30/11, 10:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job! Good write up man!
Old 12/1/11, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to not call me and let me know you were doing the install. I would of helped! I'm just playing. Install looks great. Congrats.
Old 12/1/11, 07:55 AM
V6 Member

Looks great From.

Is it really that big of a difference over stock? Like, relative to the change from 370 to 5.0 big?
Old 12/1/11, 08:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice! Thanks for the review.
Old 12/1/11, 08:36 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Hytek
Nice job! Good write up man!
Thanks Hytek! I try to do a thorough job writing it up so I can help out my fellow stangers I have learned a lot from folks like you, and many others on this forum, just by reading alone. So I want my posts to help out some people. I try not to be biased, but dang, I just love the parts I have installed on my car That MGW piece is truly a masterpiece.

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Way to not call me and let me know you were doing the install. I would of helped! I'm just playing. Install looks great. Congrats.
HAHA! Sorry Jamie! It was a spur of the moment thing. I just got back from a Cali trip, and I was severely missing my car. Buddy of mine who I do installs with a lot, we said, eh, what the hey, let's make it a late night. So we went ahead and did it. I didn't get to bed till after 1. But it was SO worth it.

I will be sure to call you next time Jamie... what mod should I do next? I will be storing her pretty soon though... supposed to snow shower today, then this weekend Did you get your car btw already? I saw your other thread about mods. You have a 5.0 now???

Originally Posted by Secondhandloser
Looks great From.

Is it really that big of a difference over stock? Like, relative to the change from 370 to 5.0 big?
Thank you sir! That's a funny question you ask. I would say definitely no. The jump from a Nissan 370 to a 5.0 was a MAJOR change. Like night and day. I don't have to go into full detail, but put it this way, I love my 5.0 way better for its back seat, its engine and tranny smoothness, its power, its "mature' feel, its build quality, and now its looks

The OEM to MGW shifter change is major too, don't get me wrong, but just in terms of how it feels to be "connected' to the car. With the MGW, I just feel more in tune with the car. After all, we only interact with a car in 3 ways... pedals, steering, and shifter (if manual). In terms of shifter category alone, it is definitely night and day. Like I said above, you might "think" the OEM shifter is "great".... but try the MGW, and you'll be even more impressed... Nothing wrong with OEM shifter, but for those of you who are like me, and want something much more, MGW delivers, in spades.

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/1/11 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 08:40 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Very nice! Thanks for the review.
Steve, what's up buddy. All is quiet on our Z forum, eh? I don't see you guys posting on our threads there anymore I also don't see Dan on here at all. I thought he was a member?

But anyways, thanks for the props. You might want to consider this mod, if you don't already have it. You will better enjoy how you tackle the dragon with this. hehe.
Old 12/1/11, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
HAHA! Sorry Jamie! It was a spur of the moment thing. I just got back from a Cali trip, and I was severely missing my car. Buddy of mine who I do installs with a lot, we said, eh, what the hey, let's make it a late night. So we went ahead and did it. I didn't get to bed till after 1. But it was SO worth it.

I will be sure to call you next time Jamie... what mod should I do next? I will be storing her pretty soon though... supposed to snow shower today, then this weekend Did you get your car btw already? I saw your other thread about mods. You have a 5.0 now???
It's all good. I understand man. As for getting a 5.0, the answer is negative. Had to put literally all my plans for anything off as of last week. Got my Army contract signed and I leave at the end of January so there's no point in ordering a brand new car. I'll have to stick with my truck for awhile.

As for your next install, I'm thinking the Boss intake, CAI and a tune. Or maybe some struts/shocks/springs.
Old 12/1/11, 10:03 AM
V6 Member

Steve, what's up buddy. All is quiet on our Z forum, eh? I don't see you guys posting on our threads there anymore I also don't see Dan on here at all. I thought he was a member?

But anyways, thanks for the props. You might want to consider this mod, if you don't already have it. You will better enjoy how you tackle the dragon with this. hehe.
I am dan
Old 12/1/11, 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Great writeup - thanks FromZto5. What'd you pay for it? I cannot find a price on MGW's website. Wonder how long it would take a shop to do the install; I'm not comfortable doing that kind of work myself yet!
Old 12/1/11, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the write up, I ordered mine a few weeks ago for my 08 GT/CS Vert
Can't wait for it to arrive and install it.
LJS
Old 12/1/11, 12:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
It's all good. I understand man. As for getting a 5.0, the answer is negative. Had to put literally all my plans for anything off as of last week. Got my Army contract signed and I leave at the end of January so there's no point in ordering a brand new car. I'll have to stick with my truck for awhile.

As for your next install, I'm thinking the Boss intake, CAI and a tune. Or maybe some struts/shocks/springs.
Sorry to hear you won't be getting a 5.0 just yet. Although, I am extremely proud of what you do/are about to do for our country. That takes more pride and heart than anything. Thank you again for your services to our country. God bless.

As for my mods, I would like to stay away from tunes, unless it's FRPP. I don't want to void any warranty at the moment. Eventually, maybe. Also, am thinking about springs. I heard Steeda's are good...

Originally Posted by Secondhandloser
I am dan
Dan!!! I forgot your new handlename here on this forum!!! LOL. Sorry bro. So you're the one who asked whether it's like 370Z to 5.0 big change-wise I was like, "How did this guy know???" Nowwwwww I get it. LOL.

Yeah Dan, not sure how much you love your OEM shifter... but this thing is solid. Spring is definitely stiffer right now, but the snap back to center is great. The slight reduction in throws is great too. I already grinded some when I shifted from 2-3 in the OEM one time. Sometimes, it's hard to wait long enough for the shifter to spring back to center before going to 3. With the MGW, no issue. It really reminded me of the GT500 I test drove... it felt like that, but like 10x better. Well worth the $$$.

Remember my Invidia? Well, I sold that, and with the $, I bought the GT500 exhaust AND the MGW... best deal ever.

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Great writeup - thanks FromZto5. What'd you pay for it? I cannot find a price on MGW's website. Wonder how long it would take a shop to do the install; I'm not comfortable doing that kind of work myself yet!
Thank you sir. You have to call MGW for a price, but it's under 400 if I remember right. Well well well worth the cost. The machined precision/tolerance on this thing is insane. The quality of fitment is bar none. And the design improvement makes you think, "why did Ford do their design like THAT? It should be like this!!!"

As for install, it's not that bad. Grab a lift/jacks/ramps, and go to it. All you need are ratchets, extensions, sockets, voila. Oh, and someone to help out. Grab some beers, and go to it. You'll get to know your car more... and there's nothing like getting to know your car in and out. Heck if I can do it, ANYone can do it. You don't need to be a mechanic to do this. All you need to know is righty tighty lefty loosey Besides, all the money you'd save in labor?!?!?!? I'd say a shop would charge you 3 hours worth... so say, 75 - 100 per hour??? so like 300 max?

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/1/11 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12/1/11, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear you won't be getting a 5.0 just yet. Although, I am extremely proud of what you do/are about to do for our country. That takes more pride and heart than anything. Thank you again for your services to our country. God bless.

As for my mods, I would like to stay away from tunes, unless it's FRPP. I don't want to void any warranty at the moment. Eventually, maybe. Also, am thinking about springs. I heard Steeda's are good...
I've also read great things about Steeda springs. I know alot of guys on here have them. I'd look at either the Steeda Sports or Ultralites depending on how much drop you want. You'll need some caster/camber bolts or plates.

As for tunes, that's personal preference. If don't want warranty issues then stick with FRPP or no tune at all.

Thought about changing wheels and tires at all?
Old 12/1/11, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome review. I can't wait till I get mine and install it this christmas. Sounds like this shifter definitely let's the MT82 shine through all this madness surrounding it.

Enjoy that car! She's a beaut!
Old 12/1/11, 04:13 PM

The toughest parts were installing the 4 bolts that secure the shifter assembly to the clamshell
I couldn't agree with this ^ more. Plus those bolts go on really tight so without the proper leverage on a good allen wrench with a decent handle or an impact drill it was a PITA. I also found this part to be nerve wrecking because I was so afraid of snapping one of the bolts.

I found the best way to get the boot properly seated around the opening in the tranny tunnel was to not fully tighten the rear shifter bracket until the end. In fact, that was the last thing I did before mounting the heat shield.

I'm sure two people makes the job much easier but it is definitely doable on your own. You just need to take your time and be patient.
Old 12/1/11, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

OG Conference Room is where all the action is.
Old 12/1/11, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
The price is $375 for the shifter and $25 for the heat shield (optional). I got it installed for $120. However, it was their first time doing a 2011 install. They were a bit surprised about the number of pieces. That's why the next customer will pay more ($140 - $150).

I would have attempted an install myself. However, I only have ramps and a slightly unlevel garage. Plus no proper lights and no outlets. That makes it worth it to spend that amount of money (time's not free either).

The shifter feels so different from OEM. The shifts are very short and precise. I have to get used to that. As mentioned the shifter makes a bit more noise during shifting, but at least it gives better feedback. Also, the shifts are only one short throw. The OEM felt like there were two stages (especially from 1-2).
Old 12/1/11, 08:40 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by yellowrubiu
I couldn't agree with this ^ more. Plus those bolts go on really tight so without the proper leverage on a good allen wrench with a decent handle or an impact drill it was a PITA. I also found this part to be nerve wrecking because I was so afraid of snapping one of the bolts.

I found the best way to get the boot properly seated around the opening in the tranny tunnel was to not fully tighten the rear shifter bracket until the end. In fact, that was the last thing I did before mounting the heat shield.

I'm sure two people makes the job much easier but it is definitely doable on your own. You just need to take your time and be patient.
You know what... you bring up a good point. I was SO scared of STRIPPING one of those allen head bolts 1/2way through the install. Can you imagine if I stripped the heads on one of those? How the hell would I have gotten that out??? Drill it out? Those were hardened too...

And as far as a one person job??? Holy hell... that would be tough. How would one person do the clamshell snap on? The bottom half has to be from bottom, and top half from top???

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
OG Conference Room is where all the action is.
What is the OG conf room???

Originally Posted by romendo
The price is $375 for the shifter and $25 for the heat shield (optional). I got it installed for $120. However, it was their first time doing a 2011 install. They were a bit surprised about the number of pieces. That's why the next customer will pay more ($140 - $150).

I would have attempted an install myself. However, I only have ramps and a slightly unlevel garage. Plus no proper lights and no outlets. That makes it worth it to spend that amount of money (time's not free either).

The shifter feels so different from OEM. The shifts are very short and precise. I have to get used to that. As mentioned the shifter makes a bit more noise during shifting, but at least it gives better feedback. Also, the shifts are only one short throw. The OEM felt like there were two stages (especially from 1-2).
That's a good term I didn't use in my earlier description. FEEDBACK. Very good point and I agree 100%. The feedback on the MGW is
Old 12/1/11, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

You know what... you bring up a good point. I was SO scared of STRIPPING one of those allen head bolts 1/2way through the install. Can you imagine if I stripped the heads on one of those? How the hell would I have gotten that out??? Drill it out? Those were hardened too...

And as far as a one person job??? Holy hell... that would be tough. How would one person do the clamshell snap on? The bottom half has to be from bottom, and top half from top???

What is the OG conf room???

That's a good term I didn't use in my earlier description. FEEDBACK. Very good point and I agree 100%. The feedback on the MGW is
Are you prem? Check the Premium Member's Lounge
Old 12/1/11, 10:36 PM

I too have installed the MGW shifter and had the most trouble with the boot and the long studs aligning with the bottom of the shifter. I think the best advice (given above) is to fit the boot first and then install the rear bracket. My wife and I performed this install over four days....about an hour or so each day. The result is as described in the above post..........an absolutely fabulous addition to our car!

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter installed - thoughts/impressions