General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Looking to Purchase a 1966 Coupe.

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/23, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to Purchase a 1966 Coupe.

Hello,

Looking for a 1966 coupe. I am a fan of the 289 but would not be opposed to a beefed-up car. I am not much of a mechanic so I would prefer. one that is ready to drive. I live in COMMIE FORNIA so smog could be an issue. Nit worried to much about the paint and interior that could definitely be something I could do. The engine and tranny are the most important. Also not opposed to a newer V-8. I am hoping this is a good place to start....
Old 2/3/23, 06:00 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by treifel@kminc.com
Hello,

Looking for a 1966 coupe. I am a fan of the 289 but would not be opposed to a beefed-up car. I am not much of a mechanic so I would prefer. one that is ready to drive. I live in COMMIE FORNIA so smog could be an issue. Nit worried to much about the paint and interior that could definitely be something I could do. The engine and tranny are the most important. Also not opposed to a newer V-8. I am hoping this is a good place to start....
I put My Suggestions in the Other Forum. But as Far As your Smog Question.1966 Will Not Require any Smog Control. It's 1976 up Here.

KC

California Vehicle Emissions Inspection Laws

The following article will give you the basics of “smog” laws in California. Below you can find out how smog checks are performed in the state of California, and which vehicles can be exempt from the laws.
Emissions (smog) inspections are required for all vehicles registered in the state of California, with vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program required to undergo testing for every other registration renewal. Vehicles in these areas are exempted for the newest eight registration model years, but are required to pay an annual “smog abatement fee” during those years.

Diesel vehicles model year 1998 and newer or vehicles with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs or less are required to be tested. Gasoline vehicles are exempt if model 1975 or older.

Exemptions:
  1. New vehicles for the newest eight (8) model years (must pay an annual “smog abatement” fee)
  2. Pre-1976 model year gasoline vehicles
  3. Pre-1997 model diesel vehicles
  4. Vehicles registered as “specially constructed” that have received an emissions waiver
  5. Motorcycles and electric-powered vehicles

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/3/23 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2/4/23, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am new to this forum. You say your suggestions are in the other forum. Can you help me with that?
Old 2/4/23, 09:44 AM

I am new to this forum. You say your suggestions are in the other forum. Can you help me with that?
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...8/#post7072861

KC
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (2/6/23)
Old 2/4/23, 01:47 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
OP! Also just for future reference, it is unnecessary to submit duplicate threads about the same topic in multiple sub-forums, as doing so can often lead to misinterpretation as you just found out for yourself... Anyhow, just a heads up.
Old 2/5/23, 10:16 AM

@treifel@kminc.com

On a Totally Different Direction. The Thing That got a Lot of Us Old Timers Here on TMS Was the Then New for 2005 Mustang. Many of Us Had the Older Cars Back in the Day and The 05-09 Cars Really Captured a Lot of the Feel for the Old Cars But With all the Creature Comforts in New Modern Car. I would Suggest Just for Giggles Go & Look & Drive a 05-09 Gt and See if you Get that Old Car Vibe you Crave but in a much Easier to Drive & Maintain Platform. If you Really want to Fly an 05-09 Gt-500 Will Get you There! That's My Forever Car! If you Like This Route Make Sure you Get an Unmolested California Smog Legal Car!

I Did a Search in the Taft Area & Here is a Nice Example to Check out. Just a Thought. Remember The Memories are Through Rose Colored Glasses & The Old Cars are Not as Comfortable as we May Remember!

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Ebay Listings For 05-09 More of an FYI Than Anything Else!

https://www.ebay.com/b/Cars-Trucks/6...5%252E9L&mag=1

Older 65-66 Stangs on Ebay Listed By Distance Closest to Taft. I did not Know if you are Still in Taft So I Used That Zip Code! You Can Change if Needed. Pricing is All over the Map! I would Say Ebay Cars Can Be a Real Crap Shoot! I would Not Buy a Car This Old Without Checking it Out in Person. Also I think Some Will Be Overpriced!

https://www.ebay.com/b/Cars-Trucks/6...=93268&_fcid=1
KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/5/23 at 04:07 PM.
NC14GT (2/5/23)
Old 2/6/23, 06:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I agree with Casey, and also suggest that buying a classic online is a crap shoot. The wrong one could cost you more money than you can imagine. Take your time, do your due diligence on any car you find before you purchase. And if at all possible buy one that you can inspect before any monies exchange hands. Good luck, and be patient. The right Mustang is out there just waiting on you.

If you are new to classic cars I'll give you an expample of the unknown cost. My Dad gave us his '67 Camaro for a wedding present. Over the years it finally needed a restoration. After speaking with the paint shop I chose we figured on 6/8K for the new paint. 16K, and 16 months later I got the car back. The car had been gargage kept since new, and there was no rust to be found until he got the car stripped. The rust had formed where the outer rear wheel wheels, and the rear quarters were pieced together. Dust and dirt in the joints had drawn moisture, and the rust took over. Of course that wasn't the ony thing I had to replace as things progressed. It's just one of those things you expect when dealing with old cars With that said, on a beautiful day, cruising with your bestie is the best blood pressure known to man.

'67 Camaro Rally Sport, numbers matching car. 2 speed powerglide tranny, no air, no power brakes,and no power steering. It's not a luxury car by any means, but it is fun. The older these cars get, the more they are a car show everywhere to go. The conversations at the gas pump are always happening.

Last edited by wanted33; 2/6/23 at 07:08 AM.
NC14GT (2/6/23)
Old 2/6/23, 09:15 AM

Jim,

Thanks for The Words of Wisdom!

Pretty Paint often Covers Many Scars on Old Cars!

On the 05-09 Cars Jim Certainly Does Qualify as a Big fan! Check Out His Recent Purchase!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-07-gt-549447/

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/6/23 at 09:18 AM.
wanted33 (2/7/23)