General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

I'm friggin tired of remakes, build something new!

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/06, 01:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm friggin tired of remakes, build something new!

Is anyone else getting really sick of all of the remakes that it is "necessary" to have on this bodystyle (even the previous ones)? Like I mean, a Boss or a Mach 1 is great and all...BUT did they copy the past back in 69 and 70?

NO

Why can't Ford build a special editon that did not exist in the 60s? Make it something that theyll be wanting to remake in 40 years.

Heres what we have so far:
1) 07 GT500 - Remake
2) 07 GT/CS - Remake
3) 07 GT-H - Remake
4) 07/08 Shelby GT - Sort of remake (a crappy SE at least)
5) 03/04 Mach 1
6) 02/03 Bullitt

Isn't good business about having new and great ideas? I really want to see something new and exciting for a change.
Old 8/9/06, 02:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ideas
1) Sell FR500C replicas
2) 475HP Hurricane edition Mustang
Old 8/9/06, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's less risky to go with a proven winner. Why do you think they keep remaking movies and adding sequels with numbers in the title? They know it'll sell based on past performance. Plus, there is a certain nostalgia with things past that makes them seem better than what they really were back then. You know, the "good ol' days" syndrome, and plenty of people in a mid-life crisis mode to latch onto it. Something new would be nice, though. I really liked the P51 Mustang photoshop of a year or so ago, and I kinda like the idea of a high-powered plain-jane sleeper. Maybe thirty years from now, these will be the good ol' days?
Old 8/9/06, 03:34 PM

I agree, retro's fine, up to a point. However, beyond that point, it really does start to intimate a dearth of any good new ideas. I do think the Stang needs to create some new heritage and legacies rather than just purely living off old ones. What are we to presume; that there really hasn't been a decent new Mustang models for over third of a century?

An FR500C edition with some real, race-bred engineering content (street version of crate motor 5.0?) is so obvious it hurts. Sure, I love the old Bosses, Machs, Bullitts, and Shelby's, but balance that off with some fresh blood too. Moreover, the Mustang lineup wouldn't sound like Al Bundy reminiscing about scoring four touchdowns in high school.
Old 8/9/06, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

So, along the same lines, Chevy shouldn't offer a Z28 when the Camaro is reintroduced and Pontiac shouldn't offer a Trans Am or Formula if they get a version? Just asking.

-Chip
Old 8/9/06, 04:15 PM

Sure, some retro models are fine, just leaven them with some fresh names too. Hopefully, what with the other pony cars soon to be on the market, fresh Trans-Am'esque competion between the makes, ala late sixties, early seventies, will once again happen.
Old 8/9/06, 04:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ipchay61
So, along the same lines, Chevy shouldn't offer a Z28 when the Camaro is reintroduced and Pontiac shouldn't offer a Trans Am or Formula if they get a version? Just asking.

-Chip
Ok but its worse than that with the Mustang, at least to me. We've had an unbelieveable amount of "SEs" in the past 5 or 6 years whilst the F-body Camaro stuck with the Z and 1 year of the SS. The F-body Firebird had the Ram Air version throughout most of its lifetime as well. 1 or 2 remakes, ok thats cool, but like 4-5+ is starting to push it for me.
Old 8/9/06, 05:09 PM
V6 Member

I, for one, disagree. I love that they brought/are bringing back the old special editions for the s197s. I wasn't around when the original/SEs stangs were released, but i grew up loving them. I never, ever, ever x 1000^100, ever thought that the stang would ever bring back the retro look(no bag on the 1973-2004 stangs, just was never my thang, the SEs never really fit with them to me either). Our S197s brought the retro look to the modern era, why not do the same for all the SEs? it's well deserved.

Maybe when they release the 2010 stang they should come up with a new SE, but with these stangs, at the moment, the old SEs should be living it up.
Old 8/9/06, 05:57 PM
FR500 Member

When are they going to do a re-make of the Fox-body? I felt they did just fine and didn't copy anything from previous generations - at least on the exterior. An FR500C replica (w/DOHC 5.0 of course) would make a good "modern" SE. Heh-heh, maybe they can re-use the "5.0" badges again!
Old 8/9/06, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
6) 02/03 Bullitt

First Thing. The Bullitt was 2001 only.

Second Thing: The Bullitt was not a "remake" as the there was no previous Bullitt.

The Bullitt Mustang was developed as a way to commemorate the 1968 cop movie "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen. In the movie Lt. Frank Bullitt (McQueen) drove the streets of SF in a highland green Mustang GT. Ultimatley the movie's chase scene made the Mustang a star in the movie as well.

This car was developed by a small group of folks at Ford, and initially sketched out on a napkin.

Remember all of these recent "remakes" all owe something to the success of the Bullitt. without that success, I think it would be pretty safe to say there would be no Mach 1's, GT/CS and the like.

off soapbox now.

Old 8/9/06, 08:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

so many of you agree with my FR500C replica idea?
Old 8/9/06, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Anomalus1
I, for one, disagree. I love that they brought/are bringing back the old special editions for the s197s. I wasn't around when the original/SEs stangs were released, but i grew up loving them. I never, ever, ever x 1000^100, ever thought that the stang would ever bring back the retro look(no bag on the 1973-2004 stangs, just was never my thang, the SEs never really fit with them to me either). Our S197s brought the retro look to the modern era, why not do the same for all the SEs? it's well deserved.

Maybe when they release the 2010 stang they should come up with a new SE, but with these stangs, at the moment, the old SEs should be living it up.
I totally agree

If the Mustang's heritage was successful and a lot of people buy into it than Ford would be dumb to not embrace it. If they exhaust all the old SE's and nothing sells than by all means they should come up with something new. But if the old stuff sells, then why not keep building it. Sure they keep coming out with different ones, but it's not like they are all out at the same time. I'm sure if they release a Boss or Mach 1 the GT/CS or Shelby GT won't be around much longer. So it's just the same as the Camaro's Z28 and SS and the other pony cars. Just a couple of the passed down nameplates to keep the soul of the car alive......and capitalize on it on the side a bit too...

There's also no guarentee that any new SE's will strike a cord, with today's car market a new SE could just go unnoticed and never gain any following. It won't have the built in following, sales and identity of the old SE's.
Old 8/9/06, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I am sure that with the muscle car market blowing up the car compannies are trying to bite into that by releasing muscle car remakes.
Old 8/9/06, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

I don't mind "honest" remakes that may reuse the name but still stand on their own as an impressive model too. Like the Bullitt Mustang, it would have been a cool car even if it was called something else. The thing that drives me crazy is pasting a classic name on an unworthy poser, in particular I'm thinking about the GTO!
Old 8/9/06, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the retro themes now. Old styles refreshed with new lines and technology. I dunno, I like it.
Old 8/9/06, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1
so many of you agree with my FR500C replica idea?
Yes. I think that would be very neat indeed, but I think they'd have to kill the GT500 first.
Old 8/10/06, 06:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
Is anyone else getting really sick of all of the remakes that it is "necessary" to have on this bodystyle (even the previous ones)? Like I mean, a Boss or a Mach 1 is great and all...BUT did they copy the past back in 69 and 70?

NO

Why can't Ford build a special editon that did not exist in the 60s? Make it something that theyll be wanting to remake in 40 years.

Heres what we have so far:
1) 07 GT500 - Remake
2) 07 GT/CS - Remake
3) 07 GT-H - Remake
4) 07/08 Shelby GT - Sort of remake (a crappy SE at least)
5) 03/04 Mach 1
6) 02/03 Bullitt

Isn't good business about having new and great ideas? I really want to see something new and exciting for a change.
Totally agree.

Problem is, the entertainment business today (and let's face it - buying a Mustang is more about entertainment than practicality) is less about new and innovative ideas than about providing a flashback for all the baby boomers trying to re-capture the excitement of their youth, as well as their kids. This is true of music (ya gotta BUY new music now - satellite radio - free radio is all classic rock and manufactured pop stars), movies (Starsky and Hutch, Charlies Angles, Shaggy Dog, Scooby Doo, etc.), cars (stang, GTO, camaro, challenger, charger), etc. The demographics with the most disposable income are boomers and adolescents, so everything is created to appease them. Anyone in their twenties has to search hard for innovative entertainment.
Old 8/10/06, 03:26 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I would like to see some new models.
Old 8/11/06, 06:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by hi5.0
When are they going to do a re-make of the Fox-body? I felt they did just fine and didn't copy anything from previous generations - at least on the exterior...
At the time the '79 Mustang was introduced, Motor Trend implied Ford copied the Mercedes SL. There was some similarity in the greenhouse, to be sure. Motor Trend also reported that the Fox-bodies were going to be called the Mustang III for a time, BTW.