General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Hypothetically speaking of course...Question?

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/15, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypothetically speaking of course...Question?

Since my husband is now here on this forum, this is PURELY a hypothetical question!

We have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe - my kid and her boyfriend are in pretty dire need of a car. And then someone posted to me about getting a "project" Mustang....

And that got me to thinking....(sorry honey!).....what *if* I were to replace my Vibe, which I really like since it is a hatch, with a 1978 King Cobra and let the Vibe go to the kid? It has 110k on it.

I know - only 139hp - but then my Vibe is only 130hp - so not much difference. I'm willing to trade off some gas mileage for the ultra cool Cobra on the hood, and the awesome orange pin striping on some of the colors (brown, black) and would love to have T-Tops!

Would you do that? I'm seeing pricing from $1500 for basket trailer cases to about $15,000 for nice examples. Hmmm.......

Found one in Texas for $5500, very nice original with 89k on the clock, but no T-Tops. Anything that is decent seems to get snapped up pretty quickly.

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars...n-tx-249929995

Of course, this is in lieu of buying THIS instead, haha:

http://www.zenauto.biz/2004_Ford_Mus..._237497978.veh

I'm gonna be in SO much trouble. But this was just a hypothetical question, right? LOL
Old 1/2/15, 12:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Don't get the Mystichrome...those are collector cars not project cars. My dad had a 76 Cobra II when he was in high school/going into the Navy. It went through 4 water pumps before he traded it for a Capri lol. You don't see too many IIs around, so it could be a fun project. Maier a Racing (in Hayward) has done a few Pintos and IIs so they are familiar with their suspensions. Would be a nice candidate for a built 347 and dropped on Maximum Motorsports suspension!
Old 1/2/15, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Trouble maker That sounds like a good plan IMO. 1978 king cobra is a lot different than a 2004 Cobra.

Last edited by GrnT; 1/2/15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 1/2/15, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Don't get the Mystichrome...those are collector cars not project cars. My dad had a 76 Cobra II when he was in high school/going into the Navy. It went through 4 water pumps before he traded it for a Capri lol. You don't see too many IIs around, so it could be a fun project. Maier a Racing (in Hayward) has done a few Pintos and IIs so they are familiar with their suspensions. Would be a nice candidate for a built 347 and dropped on Maximum Motorsports suspension!
I was kidding - I really do like the 04 Mystichrome Cobra, but reality is: $30k and deserves to kept as a collector car vs. the around town car / grocery getter.

My first car was a 1975 Mach 1 with the V6, yellow and black, just like this 74, except mine had the quarter window and rear window louvers. That thing went through 2 clutches and 1 transmission while I had it (and no, it wasn't the driver, lol). Ultimately it was t-boned by a drunk driver and totaled.

Old 1/2/15, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GrnT
Trouble maker That sounds like a good plan IMO. 1978 king cobra is a lot different than a 2004 Cobra.
Yeah, I kinda like that plan - just have to find the right car. In very good shape, but not so good it should be parked and rarely driven.

So many colors to choose from too, if you can find them - green, orange, red, white, brown, black.......whoo hoo!
Old 1/2/15, 12:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TheTaminator
I was kidding - I really do like the 04 Mystichrome Cobra, but reality is: $30k and deserves to kept as a collector car vs. the around town car / grocery getter. My first car was a 1975 Mach 1 with the V6, yellow and black, just like this 74, except mine had the quarter window and rear window louvers. That thing went through 2 clutches and 1 transmission while I had it (and no, it wasn't the driver, lol). Ultimately it was t-boned by a drunk driver and totaled.
Wow you're lucky to be alive, having been t-boned in one of those tin cans!

PS, your II needs to end up like this
Attached Thumbnails Hypothetically speaking of course...Question?-image-384373033.jpg  
Old 1/2/15, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually, my ex husband is lucky to be alive! I wasn't driving the car that day, thankfully.

Oh, I like that II, but all I can see is more dollar signs! You are BAD for the wallet, lol.
Old 1/2/15, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TheTaminator
Actually, my ex husband is lucky to be alive! I wasn't driving the car that day, thankfully. Oh, I like that II, but all I can see is more dollar signs! You are BAD for the wallet, lol.
tell me about it...
Old 1/2/15, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
First of all I just want to apologize to Taminator's husband. I'm the one responsible for suggesting the "project car". Sorry buddy, lol.

At any rate. The Pontiac Vibe is really just a Toyota Matrix and the Matrix really just a hatchback built on the Corolla chassis with Corolla power train. So the kid will be just fine given that your typical Corolla runs for about 200K miles with little or no problem so long as its properly maintained. I get the impression that maintenance is not an issue here lol.

With respect to the 78 King Cobra I think its a great idea. Personally I'm not a big fan of the Mustang II years but the King Cobra is actually a nice looking variant of that car. I do know that the front suspension is apparently pretty sorted out and well handled, at least for that era. Personally I would restomod the living crap out of the car. Four wheel disk brakes, upgraded engine and transmission, the whole nine.

If you do decide to pick one up as a project car please be sure to start a thread detailing your progress. We love that stuff.
Old 1/2/15, 05:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow those 11 year old Cobras hold their value well. A bit pricey IMO.
Old 1/2/15, 05:44 PM
V6 Member

I suggest going for the 04 Cobra, the tires appear to be in much better shape. Tell your husband you couldn't afford not to buy it, that's what my wife usually goes with.
Old 1/2/15, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
First of all I just want to apologize to Taminator's husband. I'm the one responsible for suggesting the "project car". Sorry buddy, lol.

At any rate. The Pontiac Vibe is really just a Toyota Matrix and the Matrix really just a hatchback built on the Corolla chassis with Corolla power train. So the kid will be just fine given that your typical Corolla runs for about 200K miles with little or no problem so long as its properly maintained. I get the impression that maintenance is not an issue here lol.

With respect to the 78 King Cobra I think its a great idea. Personally I'm not a big fan of the Mustang II years but the King Cobra is actually a nice looking variant of that car. I do know that the front suspension is apparently pretty sorted out and well handled, at least for that era. Personally I would restomod the living crap out of the car. Four wheel disk brakes, upgraded engine and transmission, the whole nine.

If you do decide to pick one up as a project car please be sure to start a thread detailing your progress. We love that stuff.
Haha, thanks for the apology - and the suggestion. Well, I got an eye roll from him, and head shaking, but no actual "NO"! Maybe I'm in business on this! I'm not worried about sending my Vibe off the kids - it isn't the prettiest thing now after 10 years, but it has been maintained well. Just finished $1500 worth of replaced suspension on it since it was high time (huge difference!). They really just need something for the next two years until they can establish some credit and buy what they want .... since I wouldn't co-sign for them, lol.

I actually liked driving my Mach 1 when I had it, and surprisingly, that thing handled WELL in the snow. We had about 12-18" one year and it just plowed on through.

My friend had a 76 Ghia coupe and she drove the hell out of that thing. It was really "pretty" because it was silver, with the silver vinyl half roof and luxurious burgundy red velvet interior. We were styling back then!

Last edited by TheTaminator; 1/2/15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 1/2/15, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Wow those 11 year old Cobras hold their value well. A bit pricey IMO.
The 03/04 Terminators seem to be the cat's meow as far as older Cobra collecting goes...guess it must be the IRS in them. If I was desperate for the Mystichrome color, they also did that color in 1996 on the regular Mustang - can nab one of those much more reasonably. Of course, kiss many ponies goodbye in the hp dept in comparison.
Old 1/2/15, 07:27 PM

You are not helping! LOL
Old 1/2/15, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 3point7

Stop enabling her! LOL. She get's enough GREAT IDEAS all by herself!
First she needs to win the lottery, finish the motorcycle project she has acquired a zillion parts for, remodel the house, and then support me in the way I would like to be accustomed to so that I can retire! LOL

Last edited by Glover53; 1/2/15 at 07:35 PM.
Old 1/2/15, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I would say an 03 to 04 Mach1. I heard the internals are forged. Not sure if that's true.
Old 1/2/15, 07:56 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
I would say an 03 to 04 Mach1. I heard the internals are forged. Not sure if that's true.

Tom281 knows

I know the manuals have more forged internals than the autos

I know it's the crank but not sure of the rest
Old 1/2/15, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

holy sh_t, this looks amazing.

2016 Mustang.

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 1/2/15 at 08:00 PM.
Old 1/2/15, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Tom281 knows I know the manuals have more forged internals than the autos I know it's the crank but not sure of the rest
a buddy of mine told me this. That's s motor to beat on.
Old 1/2/15, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Glover53
Stop enabling her! LOL. She get's enough GREAT IDEAS all by herself!
First she needs to win the lottery, finish the motorcycle project she has acquired a zillion parts for, remodel the house, and then support me in the way I would like to be accustomed to so that I can retire! LOL

Sorry Rod. I didn't know I swear

Quick Reply: Hypothetically speaking of course...Question?