General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

How are you mounting your cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/14, 11:13 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
How are you mounting your cell phone?

Just got a Droid Razr Maxx yesterday (so far, so good) and want to have a mount for when I use it as a nav device. Vent mount? Suction cup? Also I've seen every price from $5.99 to $85. I hope to keep it between $20-$30. What's been working for you?
Old 2/25/14, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I used a type that has spring loaded pads that clamp to the sides of the phone and is mounted to a suction cup on a flexible arm about 9" long. I no longer use my phone as a nav device so no longer use the mount.
Old 2/25/14, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a simple holder for my iPhone that attaches to a vent on the dash...perfect location to monitor the phone or use it to Nav if you have to.
Old 2/25/14, 06:12 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
I have a simple holder for my iPhone that attaches to a vent on the dash...perfect location to monitor the phone or use it to Nav if you have to.
Thinking of something like that. Any problems with the vent grills being damaged and are they strong enough to prevent jiggling?
Old 2/28/14, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by junkman9096
Thinking of something like that. Any problems with the vent grills being damaged and are they strong enough to prevent jiggling?
Vent is definitely strong enough...no problems and it holds the phone steady. No movement at all.
Old 2/28/14, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-..._leftorright=0

/end thread
Old 3/1/14, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I myself use the Gripper as seen on tv. Works great for me and instead of the disk on dash I stick it to windshield. Has worked great for my droid, wife iphone, and now my S4. Cost $10.00, can't beat it. Bought mine at Walgreens but anywhere that carries "As Seen On TV" section they should have it.
Old 3/1/14, 11:45 AM

Go to Steelie.com. It's a very small magnet that sticks to the back of your device and it also comes with a little chrome ball that you stick on your dash with their two sided tape. It swivels in all directions and is extremely strong. I love it!! No big ugly clunky grip holder's. Check it out on their website and then buy it way cheaper on Amazon.
Old 3/1/14, 11:47 AM

http://www.niteize.com/mobile.asp#/c...ccessories.asp
Old 3/1/14, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaBearDoug
I myself use the Gripper as seen on tv. Works great for me and instead of the disk on dash I stick it to windshield. Has worked great for my droid, wife iphone, and now my S4. Cost $10.00, can't beat it. Bought mine at Walgreens but anywhere that carries "As Seen On TV" section they should have it.
My iPhone fell off this one as soon as I stepped on the gas pulling out of the parking lot from where I bought it. I turned right around & got my money back.

So far, every phone mount I've tried drops the phone as soon as the boost kicks in.
Old 3/1/14, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
My iPhone fell off this one as soon as I stepped on the gas pulling out of the parking lot from where I bought it. I turned right around & got my money back. So far, every phone mount I've tried drops the phone as soon as the boost kicks in.
I'll take a pic of what I use...it attaches to the vent and holds my iPhone securely. Bought it at walmart for low $$
Old 3/1/14, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
My iPhone fell off this one as soon as I stepped on the gas pulling out of the parking lot from where I bought it. I turned right around & got my money back. So far, every phone mount I've tried drops the phone as soon as the boost kicks in.
That's either low marks for the holders, or high praise for your pony
Old 3/1/14, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rhonda14
Go to Steelie.com. It's a very small magnet that sticks to the back of your device and it also comes with a little chrome ball that you stick on your dash with their two sided tape. It swivels in all directions and is extremely strong. I love it!! No big ugly clunky grip holder's. Check it out on their website and then buy it way cheaper on Amazon.
Looks pretty nice. Does the adhesive get less sticky if you remove the chrome ball too many times or do you just have to basically leave that part mounted in your car?
Old 3/1/14, 10:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ER12883
That's either low marks for the holders, or high praise for your pony
I like to think it's a little bit of both.
Old 3/2/14, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Here r a couple of pics of my mount.
Attached Thumbnails How are you mounting your cell phone?-image-530992648.jpg   How are you mounting your cell phone?-image-551918714.jpg  
Old 3/2/14, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by junkman9096
Just got a Droid Razr Maxx yesterday (so far, so good) and want to have a mount for when I use it as a nav device. Vent mount? Suction cup? Also I've seen every price from $5.99 to $85. I hope to keep it between $20-$30. What's been working for you?
I don't mount my cell phone now that I don't wear a uniform, I carry in my pocket. My GPS, if I carry it, sits on the dash on a no slip pad mount.

But if I were using one of the modern small lap top type phones with map displays, etc ..... I believe I'ld use a mount just like I used to mount my older XM SkyFi in this thread .... it's intended for cell phone or other accessory as well. Just get a cradle to fit your device and mount it to the plate that adjust on the ball.
Old 3/2/14, 02:06 PM

You can actually purchase as many chrome ball attachments as you want so that you can use it in multiple car's. You get one when you purchase the kit. The kit comes with a primer, magnet for the back of your mobile device and the little metal ball that mounts pretty much anywhere you want it to. My phone hasn't fell once since I've been using it.
Old 3/2/14, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I have a reg nav unit and I put my phone in the trunk when I drive.
Old 3/3/14, 12:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories

i found this to be real suited to my needs as all the ones i have tried sticking to the windows fail few months of Texas Sun... this one there is no sticky part. simple n effective...
Old 3/13/14, 08:47 PM
Legacy Tms Member

After all the input I got the Arkon SM410 mount. I liked the Mountek but being in the CD slot still put it lower than I wanted, too much time away from what was going on in front of me.

It's a bit clunky but mounts very securely to the vent gills with no wobble or bobble while crossing over uneven pavement and RR tracks. Height is just right for keeping your eyes on the road. Just under $20 w/free shipping. I'll post any problems if they pop up.

Last edited by junkman9096; 3/13/14 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: How are you mounting your cell phone?