GT

Granatelli Coils for 2018 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/21 | 08:20 PM

Granatelli Coils for 2018 Mustang

Was looking to install new coils in my 2018 Mustang GT and was looking at Granatelli Coils. My experience with Granatelli Motorsports so far is substandard and disappointing. Are they have issues with their business or coils?? All the reviews I find are real old and looking for some resent feedback. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 3/28/21 | 10:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Welcome to the forums!

Unless you're racing or something requiring some serious upper voltage needs (and therefore that's going to probably want more than just coil upgrades to that harness/electrical, I'm thinkin') the Motorcraft coils are pretty hard to beat. Yes, the occasional one happens to go out here and there, but by and large they're really good stuff.

The question I have is why you're thinking about doing this in the first place?
Old 3/28/21 | 05:38 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan Holmes
Was looking to install new coils in my 2018 Mustang GT and was looking at Granatelli Coils. My experience with Granatelli Motorsports so far is substandard and disappointing. Are they have issues with their business or coils?? All the reviews I find are real old and looking for some resent feedback. Thanks for your feedback.
Personally, I wouldn't install anything from GMS even if they gave them away for free as the reasons you just pointed out lol. Unless there's something wrong with your OEM coils or upgrading to something like a 1000 watt stereo system which would require more voltage, then why bother replacing them, to begin with? as there's very little to be gained by just upgrading to aftermarket coils alone. On the other hand, if your current coils aren't functioning properly and require replacement? it's always best to stick with OEM quality Motorcraft parts for their durability. Anyhow, just saying.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/28/21 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Post Correction
The following users liked this post:
Dan Holmes (3/29/21)
Old 3/29/21 | 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Welcome to the forums!

Unless you're racing or something requiring some serious upper voltage needs (and therefore that's going to probably want more than just coil upgrades to that harness/electrical, I'm thinkin') the Motorcraft coils are pretty hard to beat. Yes, the occasional one happens to go out here and there, but by and large they're really good stuff.

The question I have is why you're thinking about doing this in the first place?
Was looking for a little more power / response with keeping it Califronia complaint. Thanks.
Old 3/29/21 | 10:11 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

What exactly are you looking for more power that requires upgrading to higher voltage coils? I'm not quite understanding where your coming from
Old 3/30/21 | 09:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Dan Holmes
Was looking for a little more power / response with keeping it Califronia complaint. Thanks.
Ah. So unless you tell us more, I'm going with coils aren't the answer. Coils and sparks aren't gonna do anything for that alone. And they're only really called for in 'extreme' setups, mainly boosted ones where cooler spark plugs are needed, and/or such a charge that a higher voltage spark is required. Which is pretty much dedicated race territory, and that doesn't seem where you're headed, with the Cali requirements.

Intake, exhaust and tune are where you can get more power. Maybe some underdrive pulleys, but I wouldn't mess with that, alternator issues. Maybe just the tune. Anything more is getting monetarily fun, and California troublesome. Plenty of shops to go see in the California area, though, so perhaps going to visit them and have a chat.

...assuming you haven't done so already, of course. You're not giving much details here, but that's ok. Hope that helps anyway!