Curated Content Articles 2015-2023 Youtube & Photo Gallery Magazine Type Articles With Pictures By IB / Youtube & Photo Gallery

S550 Ford Will Take the Mach 1 Global: Here's What to Expect

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/21, 03:27 PM
IB Staff

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
S550 Ford Will Take the Mach 1 Global: Here's What to Expect

Ford Will Take the Mach 1 Global: Here's What to Expect
By Robert Bacon

European Mustang lovers rejoice.

Old 3/5/21, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
>...the Mack 1 will be sold throughout Europe and the UK.

So they're changing the name too?!
The following users liked this post:
shaneyusa (3/6/21)
Old 3/6/21, 07:21 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 995 Likes on 614 Posts
I'm just happy to hear that they are selling gas powered cars over in Europe still.
I wish this electric car thought process would disappear. Where does electricity come from? Where does the material come from for the batteries? I've seen photos of the mines in Canada. How is that environmentally helpful?? The heavy trucks and trains needed to haul that stuff all over the continent runs on what?? It's all too crazy.
Old 3/6/21, 01:31 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,102 Likes on 798 Posts

So electric vehicles have a lighter carbon foot print, but what about the destruction of the earth from mining of batteries, copper, and whatever other special minerals are required for the electrification and electronics. Then there is the discarding of the batteries once they are no longer able to hold a sufficient charge to operate the vehicle? Those lithium batteries are not environmentally friendly.

Love the Mach 1 and will be looking into making a change. Will have a tough decision about the possible move away from my S197. Probably will be staying where I am though. Ford has built a nice car at a better price and possibly more dependable than the GT350.
The following 2 users liked this post by shaneyusa:
NC14GT (3/7/21), SpectreH (3/6/21)
Old 3/7/21, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
https://youmatter.world/en/are-elect...ehicles-26440/

So that's an interesting article on all your points. All of it can be researched separately and found true or not. I have done some and by and large the article is fair, balanced, reasonable about the whole thing, so I post it solely and hope it meets some form of approval of not being biased or such... but I'm bettin' you'll find fault anyway.

It boils down to this:
  1. They're not greener in many respects, truth, regarding their initial manufacture.
  2. They ARE greener in the long run, in as little as 6 months and on, but much depends on where you get the energy from, not the car itself.
  3. They do save money for you in gas and maintenance overall, but their up front cost is considerable.
  4. And one shouldn't get one unless they were buying a new car anyway for cost reasons, unless they were going to blow that money anyway.
  5. There's no incentive to recycle the batteries, but that'll change, just like the tires, oil, and batteries did for the cars.
So yeah. There's issues, just like there's issues with ICE cars. But the longer term is better for the environment. Which I know some of you don't believe in, and while I'd ordinarily say 'that's fine', I really can't, because it's not. This isn't about you, or me, or any of us today. It's about my kids. Your kids. The kid's kids. And so on.

Of course, humans are just that kind of special, so with all the wars that keep happening, the power/money grabbing going on... what's really the dang point?

The point is to keep trying. One day we'll get there. But if we don't try... well, the Earth is going to cast us all back into the dark ages, almost literally. Maybe Logan's Run or something. Or Elysium. I don't know. Neither do you.

---

Now... the environmental issues you speak of? Yeah. Well, this is going to be harsh, but it needs saying: Hypocritical thinking/information going on. Strip mines happen for iron (for steel) and aluminum, as well as the copper, lead, palladium, rhodium, platinum, chromium, iridium, titanium, nickel and so much more used in the cars we're driving today. Some of that is rarer than the lithium, and you think that's more environmentally friendly than the lithium mining, not to mention the items themselves? Oh, and surely the oil we pump outta the ground is itself really friendly for the environment, species of the earth... yup. So much good things happen when it's spilled... Not to mention the fluid they been pumping in after fracking seems to be a real fun thing. Nor is the fracking of the earth affecting anything... nosir, not a problem there... And the processes to use any of those ores can be really nasty on top of it all, so what's the difference if we use nasty methods on iron, copper or lithium to make the cars, when you get down to it? It's happening ANYWAY, and it's all the ICE car's fault as much as it'd ever be the Electric car's.

The above posts has these questions, directly or implied. You can replace 'IT' with any of the above substances, and more:
  1. Where does IT come from? The ground.
  2. How do we get IT out of the ground? With nasty equipment.
  3. And how does IT get transported? With nasty diesel trucks and trains.
  4. How do we refine IT? With nasty foundries and plants.
  5. What uses electrics and electronics? US. We people. But in this case, any car, so no difference.
  6. Discarding of the batteries? Yes, that's an issue, but it'll get solved like the tires, oil, and batteries we use in our ICE cars. And please note this: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...da-gigafactory So it's being done. New overall industrial shift, work in progress, and definitely it'll be a law soon enough.
So yeah. Doesn't matter on the manufacture, or the acquisition of the materials. Recycling is still a thing we don't do with a LOT of other things that need happening. How many people just blow their refrigerant out of their cars to fix their A/C? Or dump oil in the ground or sewers? The answer is going to be frightening, except nobody'd admit it. So the arguments against the electric car all fall flat to me at the end of it, because we don't do good enough on the cars in the first place, so what's the real difference at the end, ICE vs electric?

The CO2 emissions, long term, coupled with less or no dependence on OPEC and others. Potential energy independence, which wouldn't you want that? It's a GOOD thing, it really is. And if we clean up the energy manufacturing with the various ways that aren't coal or natural gas, or continue to improve their emissions, either way... better for the CO2 emissions.

Because the end result is the thing: CO2 reduction must happen. You can try to say it's not a problem, but it's a problem. It may be too late. Like I said before, I don't know, and neither do you. But NOT trying is NOT an option.

For the kids. And their kids. And so on.

Try to fight it, but it's a losing proposition. You might win short term, but long term, this is the way. It's happening. It has to. Like it or not. Your ICE machines won't be gone, they'll just be... sidelined for fun or archives.

Sorry.*

---

But this is a thread about the Mack 1, so back on target?

/Ha, as if that's gonna happen now...
// * - Says the guy who's never selling his gasoline powered 2006 Mustang GT, so yeah. Hypocritical, indeed.
///but the soonest he can get an electric car that works for him in all the ways, happening, and that right quick, thereby saving the Mustang for fun.
////I got a small CUV that's better on gas and hauls things better for commutin' and totin', so she's being saved anyway, but still. It may be a Caliber, but it works ok.
/////The real issue is humans. Too many. Too needy. Need a cullin'. But that's silly talk, and I am not recommending that one bit.

Last edited by houtex; 3/7/21 at 07:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shaneyusa (3/8/21)
Old 3/8/21, 09:44 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,102 Likes on 798 Posts
Nice write-up @houtex .

I would buy a Mack 1, but I might get laughed at and I would have to go out of the US to find it. So I will look at the mach1 instead. I do like the mach1, at least what I have read about it. But in the end I will likely keep my good old 2014 fossil fuel spewing ICE car until it starts giving me serious issues.