General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ford Prepaid maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/14, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with the new 2015 Mustang is that there is a 'dual skid plate' under the engine. The factory Rep explained that to change the oil and filter, you have to raise the front of the car up far enough to allow the hinged forward plate to rotate down and forward. For Do-It-Yourselfers, you have to have tire ramps that will elevate the front high enough for you to come up from behind to get to the drain plug and filter.
He felt that the easiest way to change oil was to have your own shop car lift (LOL) or take it in.

Last edited by tsunami; 8/12/14 at 08:09 AM.
Old 8/12/14, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrell
I don't have my receipt in front of me but here's the brochure for the maintenance plans in general:

http://owner.ford.com/Storage/mfMmed...20Brochure.pdf

I know I got 5k mile oil changes and want to say out to 100 or 125k miles?

At the rate I drive, it takes me about 3.5 years to get to 100k miles. Of course, with so much highway, theoretically the clutch should be ok. But on my last Honda, I was getting some chatter already at 60k miles so who knows...
I am trying to decide on what which one to look into. Mine is not my DD and I only drive it on weekends. I have had it for over 2 months and still only have 1000 miles on Her.
Old 9/29/14, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to update. I'd avoided going in for my 3rd oil change b/c I just couldn't find 2 hrs I wanted to throw away and w/ school starting back up, my wife uses her free time volunteering in class and the like so I couldn't get her to go. I'd also called the direct line the service advisor gave me last time I was in. He had said he'd let me know if it was a weekday afternoon with nothing booked so I could get in and out. I had to leave a message with him and never heard back.

So, I waited till I was about 8k into the oil change interval (I was still at like 39% on the OLM) and decided I would waste my Saturday and take my car in. I made sure to mention to the same rep that I'd tried to call him and never heard back. He told me my car would be in and out and that "things slow down once school is back in." Well, I don't know if it was my obvious discontent when I showed up or if things really were that slow but I was out in probably less than an hour. I can handle that...
Old 9/30/14, 01:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, I have gallons of oil in my garage (from my BITOG days) and have changed my own oil since my first car more than 20 yrs ago but I got "suckered" into Ford's maintenance plan when I got my '14 GT. I'd been in Hondas for a while (since I got rid of my '94 Probe) and really enjoyed dealing w/ my local Ford dealer and figured, hey, it's a PITA to recycle oil and with this car taking so much....PLUS the plan covering things like the clutch, it might not be that big of a deal.

Well, then I went in for my first oil change a few months ago on a Saturday morning. Because he had pity on me (since I had to be somewhere for my kids), the advisor bumped me up in line and got me out in like an hour and a half. He told me they have a skeleton crew on the weekends and no shuttle service. He said come by at 4 on a weekday and I should be able to get right in. Only problem is I have a JOB and can't go take my car in on a weekday afternoon.

This week, I scheduled my second oil change and surprise, my wife tells me I have to be somewhere a couple hours later. So, I got to the dealer extra early and already had 6 cars in front of me. I asked if they could have the car ready in a couple of hours and they said if so, it would be VERY close.

So the moral is, I'm going to be stuck spending all saturday in a Ford dealership or lose vacation time from now on out in order to get the value out of my maintenance plan. I hesitate to even ask if there is a way to get this the plan refunded for having you all laugh at me. But IS there?

I'm kind of in the same position as you are... no I don't have a maintenance plan. I would never really be able to take my car in during the weekday and wait for it and would not prefer to take a day off to get it done.

Is there a dealer close by to your office? maybe you can leave it with them for the day and have them shuttle you back and pick it up at the end of your day? that's what I've done in the past with my Hyundai's. I never make an appointment, just drop it off for the day and have them call me when its ready and slip out of the office to pick it up.

I haven't had my first oil change yet on the mustang. I'm hoping that I can do the same thing. There is a dealer about 5min away from where i work. It's not where I bought it, but who cares really.

OR you can go to your local Ford dealer on the Saturday and show up 15min before they open and try to get there before anyone else. We have those "fast lanes" where they do oil changes and basic other services where appointments aren't really required.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 9/30/14 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10/1/14, 01:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the moral is, I'm going to be stuck spending all saturday in a Ford dealership or lose vacation time from now on out in order to get the value out of my maintenance plan. I hesitate to even ask if there is a way to get this the plan refunded for having you all laugh at me. But IS there?
Your car has a Doctor's appointment Bro! Use sick time it's only fair you need to take care of your family right?