General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ford Ftl!!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/08, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Ford Ftl!!!

Ford has gone and done it now... this is an email I'm sending to a few media outlets. If you enjoy being able to share your enthusiasm for Mustangs on sites like this, I encourage you to help spread the word... Ford has CLEARLY crossed a line here...

cliff notes: we did a Member of the Month calendar on BMC, put it up on CafePress so people could order it, and 4 days later, FORD's lawyers sent a message to CafePress telling them to remove our calendar (among MANY other items) for copyright violations, concerning images of THEIR vehicles! (All the pics in the calendar were privately owned, so wtf?)

read on for details...

I don't know if this is something you guys would consider covering, but I feel there's a significant population of Ford enthusiasts who would like a certain issue be brought to light.

For the last couple of years, Ford Motor Company has been on a rampage, seeking out and destroying any business, club, or organization using the Ford Mustang moniker in their titles. I can understand Ford wanting to make sure that if anyone is making money off the Mustang name, it had better be them.

But here's the kicker. I am a Mustang owner, a graphics artist, a photographer, and a respected member of on of the more prominent forum-based Mustang clubs, BlackMustangClub.com. A few of us in the club decided to make a 2008 Calendar, featuring pictures of Mustangs owned by the club's Members of the Months for 2007. We design the thing, send it off to the press, and quicker than you can say "Go", we receive a letter from the printer saying they were issued a letter from a firm representing the Ford Motor Company, instructing them to remove our calendar, along with MANY other designs, for "use of Ford’s trademarks, including images of their vehicles, infringes upon their intellectual property rights (trademark/trade dress/copyright)." They flagged all the items which had to be removed from the site, which included computer rendered images of the club owner's Mustang! How in the world does Ford think they own rights to someone's personal artwork? Just because it's a Mustang? I don't remember seeing anything in my sales contract when I bought my Mustang that said I would forfeit "intellectual rights" to any photos I might take of MY car. Thousands of dollars say that car belongs to ME, not Ford. Oh, and apparently Ford is having some identity issues, because another one of the items flagged for removal was an image of a Dodge Charger SRT-8! Again, where does Ford get off thinking they own any kind of rights to that??

And what about all the magazines that publish pictures of Mustangs? Do they have to pay royalties to Ford? Or is Ford just out to squash anyone they don't think is bringing them business? Because I'll tell you something; I've known at least 2 people that have bought brand new Mustangs from Ford after seeing mine and other's Mustangs, either in real life or in pictures. So I have to believe that I'm actually doing some advertising for Ford Motor Company. And if that's the case, I want my commission, dammit! Haha!

Again, I'm not sure if this is something along the lines of what you'd normally cover in your respective segments. But maybe you guys could cover the topic, maybe interview a Ford rep and find out a little more about this policy. The company is already struggling financially, so why spend money on lawyers to attack their most hardcore customer base??
I love Ford, I love my Mustang, but I abhor them for telling my I can't publish my own photos of the vehicle I paid for!

They have lost a future customer in me until they change their ways.

Thank you kindly for your time,
Richard Trost
"Black_Bullitt"
Director of Graphics and Troop Support, BlackMustangClub

PS - For more insight into this issue, please visit the ongoing discussion in this thread: http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42402
Old 1/10/08, 03:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is just plain STUPID! That is really disappointing. I guess that is why people say they circled the problem. Luckily my mustang doesnt have ford anywhere on it.
Old 1/11/08, 04:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
It does seem very ignorant considering how loyal Mustang owners are..... good luck with the letter.
Old 1/11/08, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to be a downer, but I think it actually does say something about imaging rights in the fine print. Although I agree that is a little **** of them.

I have a painting of some classic Mustangs all grouped together, done by some dude at an art show. According to the same line of legaleez, that dude is in violation as well.

I'm not sure what the legal bit actually stipulates, but I bet a good lawyer could figure out what the intentions are, and what the limitations (on both ends) are for handling the imaging rights.
Old 1/12/08, 09:40 AM
GT Member

More people need to read about this! here is the link

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42402&page=45

And remember this was pictures of cars they bought and paid for from Ford NOT random Mustang's they saw on the street! They were selling them to members of their club!
Old 1/12/08, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by This one's mine
More people need to read about this! here is the link

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42402&page=45

And remember this was pictures of cars they bought and paid for from Ford NOT random Mustang's they saw on the street! They were selling them to members of their club!
exactly! Thanks for helping spread the word!
Old 1/14/08, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Why would Ford even PAY people to go out and try to sue customers that bought a ****ed Ford vehicle??? One of the oldest business saying in the book is "Any Publicity is Good Publicity!".

Screw You Ford.
Old 1/15/08, 06:01 PM

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42820

Ford has RESPONDED!

Originally Posted by Lisa
*** THANK YOU FORD ***

Get rid of those CENSOR graphics ... the calendar issue (and rights to print images of our own vehicles) has been resolved. After hearing from a few members of the Ford marketing and communications team, I have Ford approval to proceed with printing our 2008 calendar as-is as well as use Danni (and our other vehicles) in BMC logos and all the club marketing materials we have been thus far.

The 2008 BMC Calendar featuring the Members of the Month from 2007 is now on sale! I will not be using Cafepress for printing our calendar or any other materials as (1) they have not yet released our calendar for printing as (2) they are not compliant with Ford, and I do not want to support them for that reason. If you wish to order the now-famous calendar, please ORDER HERE through our own online store, and the calendars will ship in approximately 10 days.

Also, just as you emailed Ford, posted on your local forums and spread the word about this issue when it first arose, PLEASE follow-up with a 'thank you' email to Ford, and PLEASE post a link to this new thread on ALL the forums who have been discussing this issue. I appreciate Ford, and want to be sure we get the positive word out now that this is resolved.

Special thank you to Whitney, who has joined our forums and sent the following message:

My name is Whitney Drake and I work in Ford Communications.
We've been watching this discussion with interest and I'd like to
clarify what is essentially a misunderstanding.

Yesterday we spoke to both Cafe Press and the Black Mustang Club
and explained the situation (about the Black Mustang Club’s calendar) to everyone's satisfaction. Ford has no problem with Mustang or other car owners taking pictures of their vehicles for use in club materials like calendars. What we do have an issue with are individuals using Ford’s logo and other trademarks for products they intend to sell. Understandably, we have to take the protection of our brands and licensing very seriously.

Ford did not send the Black Mustang Club a “cease and desist” letter telling them that they could not use images of their own cars in their calendar. The decision not to allow the calendars to be printed was made by Cafe Press, because we had gotten in touch with them in the past about trademark infringements on products they sold.

The Black Mustang Club, and any other Ford enthusiast club, are free to take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials as long as they don't use Ford trademarks in products that will be sold.

I think it is great that the Black Mustang Club, and any other enthusiast club, would take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a copy to hang in the garage next
to my Mustang (even if mine isn't black).

Thanks for giving us the chance to have our say.

Please take a moment to send Whitney an e-gift here through the forums to thank her for working with us to get this resolved, and for wanting the calendar, too! She's been a great help and I'll continue to work with Whitney and the Ford team, so welcome her to the BMC family!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. I'm enjoyed hearing from all of you who have written with words of encouragement and support. Thank you very much for greatly extending the BMC family this week!

Lisa | BMC Founder
blackmustangclub@gmail.com