General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Flooding in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/17, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Flooding in Texas

Wondering, Do we have members on here that live in the flooded areas of Texas? If so, maybe as a group we could lend a helping hand somehow.
Old 8/30/17, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravydog316
My family spent many winters/Xmases & New Years in Houston @ the rodeo since the 70s...
haven't been there since 2010, but personally, my heart is breaking every moment
Yeah, It's been tough to watch. I simply can't imagine what these people are going through, a real rollercoaster of emotions I'm sure. God Bless all those people.
Old 9/1/17, 12:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Houstonian here. Well, I've long moved out of Houston proper and into the Cypress/Katy area, but still... it (siphons with a large amount of negative pressure) here. Not where I live right now, but... yeah. Lot of hurtin' people. And the roads are difficult, the water is just everywhere, and lots of places I need to get to are hours round trip now when they'd take 30 minutes.

Gotta say this: My brother is an HPD officer. My brother in law as well. They're both still in Houston patrolling. They've been every day. Tough job they have right now, but they're awesome. Can't be more proud of them two. The force lost an officer over the weekend. It's got to weigh on them, it does me.

Anyway, all my family is fine, no flooded houses or cars, although my sister had a tornado at the house what took out the fence and flung some patio furniture somewhere else. Still ain't found it, probably not gonna. Couple of roof leaks in a couple of houses, but nothing that can't be fixed. Water got a little closer than I'd like to the house near the end of the event, but the water backed off. Got lucky.

But... I had a storage unit that got flooded, and I lost some fairly irreplaceable items. An entire set of The Children's Hour books, as well as the Science series of books, from, uh, 1969 I think. They've been in the family since I was a wee child (yep, I'm old-ish. ) Yes I can get replacements on ebay or such, but the point is... OURS aren't here anymore. It's not the same.

Nobody's gonna be happy about those two sets. But what're ya gonna do, right?

I also was (still am, just curtailed it a lot) an avid Star Trek collector of certain oddities. Lost that stuff outright. One set of things was only one of 8 ever given out, as I'd won a contest to get to go to Star Trek 30 back when. 8 of us were in the promotions in various cities, I was the Houston one. And now that stuff is in a dumpster. As is the misboxes, the rarities... gone.

I could go on... vinyl records, models, other beloved books (The entire Ender and Bean series! Wind in the Willows! Other Treks...) and I'll have to replace my tenor sax case at some point... I don't think the sax got water on/in it, just the very bottom of the case, so... I can get a case. And all the DVDs that are gone... up in smoke. Or water.

But let me be perfectly clear: It's just stuff. Sentimental, some of value, but all of it now gone, and I'm... ok with it. So many others around this metroplex (and Rockport and Corpus and... just so many!) have lost so much more. I know of two people that their houses are done at my work. And some who's cars are gone. Lots of people I hear are ok, but simply can't escape their house because of the surrounding water.

Yes, me and my family got off easy. So many are havin' it tough right now.

My only daily 'complaints' so far.. I'm real tired of I-10 at Highway 6. Bottleneck. And West Beltway 8 south of 10 is a lake. Traffic is entirely awful... and that's on MY side of town. I can't even imagine what's going on the east side... or somewhere about 59 south... And while my company is open (semi-skeleton crew, but we're open, darnit!) a lot aren't. Heck, none of the Whataburgers are open around me. I want one so bad now... But I understand why, and I wouldn't ask them to open until it's time for them. Such a small quibble of life in comparison, so they're not 'complaints', per se... I just would like them to be normal again soon, y'know?

Overall, I'm in good shape. But man... We hurtin' as a city-plex. Much obliged for my fellow peoples down here for any help/support/well wishes/positive vibes. The city is strong willed, strong spirited, and will definitely bounce back.

If you wanna do something... JJ Watt's doing it: https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofh...eharvey-915053 There's so much coming in far as food, clothing, volunteer work, fuel, that the best thing y'all can do is get money to the people who are going to need it. Houses, cars, furniture.. hell, home rework itself... all that stuff is going to be happening soon for a lot of people. JJ's fund seems to be a good one to pitch that towards, although there's plenty to go around. But definitely whatever y'all feel you can do, however/whatever organization you feel is right, it'll be much appreciated by those in need, truly. Just be sure it'll get here, and not sucked into a corporate entity posing as a charity. Research, people, that's the key.

So thanks for the love, good thoughts, prayers, and whatever help works out for y'all. Help my fellow Houstonians if ya can. Help those in Corpus, Rockport, all along Texas and Louisiana if ya can.

Peace.

Last edited by houtex; 9/1/17 at 12:36 AM.