General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Explaining the Mustang culture to a non-believer...

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/08 | 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Explaining the Mustang culture to a non-believer...

I believe we have had a thread similar to this somewhere in the past. However, i have gotten into a rather interesting discussion with a person who doesn't think much of the Ford Mustang and doesn't understand why we enjoy them or why we are so loyal to them. How do you explain a life long love affair with a model of automobile to a non-believer?

It is easy for them to say a Mustang owner is a slack-jawed, w.t. and that European (German in particular) or Asian cars are so much superior to the Stang. However, I try to explain that the cross-section of Mustang owners can be from ALL walks of life - wealthy, middle-class and below.

So, back to my original question, how do you explain it to a neophyte? Is it even worth arguing the point?
Old 6/5/08 | 01:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't waste your time trying to change others. I would not want them to try and change me either. Unless you have lots of time to spare. Its all good no matter what people like.
Old 6/5/08 | 02:40 PM
Cobra R Member

To get the point across, I compare it to the devotion that Harley riders have for their motorcycles, or musicians have for another American icon, the Fender Stratocaster. I point out the 40+ years of production and it's place in popular culture as the original pony car (the only pony car IMO). If they don't get it, then take them to a Mustang show; if that doesn't do it, forget about it.
Old 6/5/08 | 04:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Some people don't live to drive their cars. And that person prolly wouldn't understand about a nice Strat or a Les Paul. I happen to play a 69'SG on a 71' tri-stack Marshall when I can't drive my Stang.
Old 6/5/08 | 09:55 PM
V6 Member

A Mustang has soul. Depth. Character. History. Presence. Beauty.

It is a uniquely American automobile that's rivaled only by the Corvette for its signature impact on the American automotive landscape. A Mustang is appreciated by young and old alike. It is the car you wish for when you're a kid, and the car you remember most when you're old. Nobody grows up thinking "When I get old enough, I'm gonna get me a SUBARU!"

Sure, there may be more refined cars out there from Japan or Germany -- but those are fussy cars for fussy people. They bark and dance and dart and whine -- but if they're actually faster than my car I guarantee you they cost a hell of a lot more. That's more money for mods -- or more cherry slushes (my kid's favorite) at the local Sonic.

My car snorts and lunges and whooshes and burbles. It is a rather simple and, yes, crude machine. It is a blunt force; sometimes it's like trying to use a sledgehammer to crack an egg.

But sledgehammers do crack eggs, my friend.
Old 6/5/08 | 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Growing up, I was always told stories about my uncle, who now lives in Floriday, and his '67 Shelby. He was always modding it, racing it, getting tickets etc. I used to love hearing this stuff and vowed one day, I would have a Mustang for myself. A few weeks before my 18th birthday, I had enough cash saved up and a decent, steady job and I knew it was mine. I convinced my parents to help me with the loan and I would make the monthly payments and pay the full car insurance. Safe to say, it's been almost a year I have had this car and I have loved every day of it. 8500 miles later, she still brings me smiles just like the first day.

Sadly, the way the economy is, I might be forced to sell my baby. I make enough money to support myself and my car, but...filling up $70 almost once a week is a little crazy in my opinion. I might be looking for something else within the next year.

I will agree, Mustangs have some deep-rooted heritage in this country and I know, whether I decide to keep or sell mine for the time being, I will always remember this car. It wasn't my first car, but many memories have been installed in me that will last a lifetime.

Thank you Ford Motor Company, because I don't know what the heck I would be driving if it wasn't for you right now!

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 6/5/08 at 10:11 PM.
Old 6/5/08 | 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tell him to go find another American muscle car at the same price that has a respectable heritage that is well featured and never stopped selling nor turned into a mid-life-crisis-status-symbol.
Old 6/5/08 | 10:40 PM
V6 Member

All you have to do is tell those non-believers is to 'get in, hold on, and enjoy the ride'; they'll quickly understand
Old 6/5/08 | 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

agree with xeno xD
Old 6/6/08 | 04:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Mustang is a Legend and it is so because of it's originality and longevity. It has earned it's status. Those non-believers are the same people who think those no talent here today gone tomorrow pop bands are great while the really great endure for decades. You have to endure the test of time to be a Legend. Generally a Legend will retain it's original loyal following while attracting a newer generation who had never experienced it before and are discovering it for the first time. The Mustang is a sort of true love deeply seated among first experiences in life which endures and never fades.

Last edited by watchdevil; 6/6/08 at 04:13 AM.
Old 6/6/08 | 05:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

What asian car is superior to an american muscle car? The only ones that come close are the 350Z and the GTR. Honda doesn't even really make sports cars. Wow...two whole cars.

That's quite a fleet they have.

Last edited by tw0scoops123; 6/6/08 at 05:24 AM.
Old 6/8/08 | 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

The Mustang has been built continuously for almost 45 years now....anything in the automotive world, that's been around that long, has proved it's worthiness to be loved, admired and in some cases worshiped. Beyond explaining that, I wouldn't waste my time trying to convince a nonbeliever....you'd be just wasting oxygen....and they will never get it.

Old 6/19/08 | 05:10 PM

Automobile Obsession is an Emotional Sickness which there is no cure for, and it is also not contagious!!
Putting so much time, energy and money into a transportation device makes absolutely no logical, or rational sense.
But, everyone picks their poison's! Most people have some type of Vice, ours is probably just more expensive, but I have friends and co-workers who spend way more on fishing trips, hunting trips, golf, gambling, drinking, chasing women etc.
For me I need to always have something to wash, tinker with, modify, restore as an outlet and therapy so to speak!! I think I would be bored out of my skull without cars and motorcycles!
Everyone has their own hobbies and interest and will never seem to see eye to eye!!
The best way I can discribe it, and no offence to anyone who enjoys Golf, I am just trying to make a point, but I have never been able to understand dragging a bag full of clubs, around acres of nice, green grass, out in the hot, burning sun, to try and hit a Stupid little white ball, into a Stupid little hole in the ground!!! That is how "I" feel about it, and no amount of pressure, extorting, bantering, name calling etc. is every going to change my mind! It is just not my cup of tea.
I am sure that is how most people view us "Car nuts"