General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Engine dies when I hit the convertible top button.

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/22, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine dies when I hit the convertible top button.

2008 mustang. When I hit the button to open the convertible top, the car dies. Sometimes it runs only for about 5 seconds and then it dies. Been to 2 shops and no issues found. There’s a couple of wires that run to the computer that are skinned but nothing is touching them. I’m going to seal them. Best way to find this issue?
Old 4/30/22, 11:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Power probe, multimeter, time, patience and possibly a decent amount of money. Perhaps some wire stripping/cutting tools, and maybe some wire splicing/sealing supplies and tools. Oh and a complete wiring diagram.

That's it. You or someone has to test all the wires involved and find the problem. That you found some skint wiring is a good indicator, but not necessarily the problem.

You may also need a scan tool that can read all the body stuff to see what happens, voltages or something might spike in just the wrong way and cause the issue. A shop manual will also perhaps have the exact diagnostic procedure (and list of items needed)_ to perform the tests to find your issue, even if it's not exactly listed as "Engine dies when operating top."

Hope that helps, and good luck!
The following users liked this post:
soconor (4/30/22)