General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Emissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/05, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all. I am new here. When it comes to cars I am a noob but really trying hard to learn. I have an 06 Mustang GT almost ready (build date 8/15/2005).

I live in Illinois where they have emissions testing. I am thinking of putting an Bassani Catalytic X-Pipe and Bassani Axle-back on my car. I know that I should still pass emissions with that setup. My question is if I also put long headers (like JBA) on will that cause me to fail emissions? How do I find out the answer to this question or does someone know for sure?

Thanks for your help.

And when I take delivery of my car I will be sure to post it in the pic thread!

-Ex
Old 8/12/05, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dont know how testing is done in Illinois but here all you have to do is fool the computer. You can do anything to youre car as long as the computer will say its fine. My brothers 01 focus is running a 4-2-1 race header and no cat and since he has a mil eliminator he is able to pass the test. All I can tell you to do is find someone who isnt afraid to tell you want you can do to your car and what you can't do.
Old 8/14/05, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would think the headers wouldn't affect pollutant emissions at all. If I'm correct don't headers of different lengths (long tube, short tube) just change the distance the exhaust travels from the different exhaust ports on the engine to the point where all those pipes connect into the one pipe leading out of the car? And as long as there is a catalytic converter after that point you should be fine. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will post, but I'm pretty sure different headers won't affect pollutant emissions.
Old 8/15/05, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Different headers shouldnt hurt unless you delete one of the cats. On the older Mustangs long tubes would delete the first cats since the car has 4. I dont know how bad that would affect your emissions.