General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Dynotest Video - Granatelli Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/07, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynotest Video - Granatelli Coil Packs

We did a dyno test video on some Granatelli Coil Packs, it *was* on a 2003 SVT Cobra and not a 2005+ Up S197, but the results will be similar for a supercharged or turbo application..

http://www.nmratv.com/index.php?stre...flv&playlist=1

Let me know your thoughts... we were pretty impressed
Old 8/4/07, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Seems interesting, although there has been reports by forum members of these products failing......

Nice vid anyway.
Old 8/4/07, 05:37 PM

really, are you referring to the coils?

Could you point me to one of those threads?

Thanks
Old 8/4/07, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MSD ones are the only ones i would spend money on.

Richard
Old 8/4/07, 07:16 PM

MSD is a great company and one of our clients as well. I will say from what I've seen that the MSD Product and Granatelli product are not that similar. Take that for what you wish.
Old 8/4/07, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by nmrajames
really, are you referring to the coils?

Could you point me to one of those threads?

Thanks
I searched and couldn't 1 negative thread on the GMS coils.

Check out http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...anatelli+coils

That's about all I could find.
Old 8/4/07, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Check out this thread on Modfords.... is this the same product?

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...ses-86072.html
Old 8/4/07, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
Check out this thread on Modfords.... is this the same product?

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...ses-86072.html

That's the same product. If you read the thread, 90% of the people posting don't even have the coils. That's part of the problems with forums in general.

Some picked up and some didn't - power wise.

In any case, we did the test and it did pick up power, but I'm sure every application is different.
Old 8/4/07, 08:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's the same product. If you read the thread, 90% of the people posting don't even have the coils. That's part of the problems with forums in general.

In any case, we did the test and it did pick up power, but I'm sure every application is different.

I would think the 3 out of the first 4 posts is enough.... one guy lost 100+ hp with the COPs, another guy's COP failed, and the 3rd guy lost 60 hp with them......

Maybe they work better on the '03-'04 Cobras compared to the new 3v?
Old 8/4/07, 09:03 PM

I would think the 3 out of the first 4 posts is enough.... one guy lost 100+ hp with the COPs, another guy's COP failed, and the 3rd guy lost 60 hp with them......

I can't really speak as to others.

I have had 2 experiences with the GMS coils. 1 was this dyno test, the second was my best friend's Whipple'd Mustang which makes 600 rwhp. It was having a problem with spark blow out and hesistation before the GMS coils. When he installed the coils, the car picked up power and it performed and ran fine.

I can't speak as to other's issues, although there are ALOT of variables involved in any performance part, or tune up, especially something like a coil which doubles the spark energy.
Old 8/4/07, 10:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i could see this for a car with a power adder like nitrous or forced induction but i do not know if it is right for a N/A car
Old 8/4/07, 10:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I can't really speak as to others.

I have had 2 experiences with the GMS coils. 1 was this dyno test, the second was my best friend's Whipple'd Mustang which makes 600 rwhp. It was having a problem with spark blow out and hesistation before the GMS coils. When he installed the coils, the car picked up power and it performed and ran fine.

I can't speak as to other's issues, although there are ALOT of variables involved in any performance part, or tune up, especially something like a coil which doubles the spark energy.

Really seems like it would be especially beneficial at high boost levels, to help avoid spark blowout.
Old 8/4/07, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a recent article (Sept 2007) issue of 5.0 magazine that shows a MSD COP and 6-Mod box making 40 rwhp on a blown 04 Mustang. Would be interesting to see if these COP systems make any power in N/A applications.
Old 8/5/07, 12:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I think the idea of an "upgraded" ignition system is a throw back to the days of breaker points. What I mean is, in those days an aftermarket ignition could offer a huge improvment over stock but just about anything built in the last 20 years have very good ignition systems and particularly in the case of coil on plug systems there are little too no improvements that can be made. I will call BS on any hp power claims on a modern car over 2- 3 hp.
In my humble opinion a waste of money.
Old 8/5/07, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by 281GT
I think the idea of an "upgraded" ignition system is a throw back to the days of breaker points. What I mean is, in those days an aftermarket ignition could offer a huge improvment over stock but just about anything built in the last 20 years have very good ignition systems and particularly in the case of coil on plug systems there are little too no improvements that can be made. I will call BS on any hp power claims on a modern car over 2- 3 hp.
In my humble opinion a waste of money.
I just don't think the facts back this up, based on my experience.

It really depends on the vehicle and particular manufacturer and model. Remember there is *no reason* for an OEM to design an ignition system to support, say 500 hp on a 300 hp car.

GMs LS1 coils (and LS2, LS6, LS7) have an excellent reputation and are good to 900 hp. The GM Truck Coils are good to 1,600 HP.

The Ford coils are another matter. They clearly aren't as good. How good, I cant tell you specifically, but the Ford coils certainly have problems based on many people's experiences.

James
Old 8/6/07, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor

Seems interesting, although there has been reports by forum members of these products failing......

Nice vid anyway.
While there is never any excuse for a premature failure of a part, it should be stated that over 70% of the complaints have stemed from product purchased through RPM outlet. RPM outlet sells MOTOblue and while the parts stem from GMS they are not the same. RPM Outlet/MOTOblue sells a different set of coils - you can only get Granatelli 60kw coils from Granatelli or an authorized dealer ( RPM oultet is not). They purchase a private branded version that has 50% less output. Either way as it specifically relates to failures. If only one coil fails or has an issue, it makes the other 7 look bad. All too often a simple fixable part gets the blame for a much larger issue that really is no issue at all.

So what did I just say? GMS can exchange 1 coil or all 8 if that is the requirement. We are now averaging over 6000 individual coils a month. If one coil has an issue then all 8 get blamed. But remember Only Granatelli has a 1 year warranty - so you can see we do stand behind the product
Old 8/6/07, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
The MSD ones are the only ones i would spend money on.

Richard
The MSD coil is nice if RED is what you seek. They are no where near the output of the Granatelli coil. They are simply a red OEM replacement based on output and they are still forced to use the stock style spring wires which are the major draw back to all other designs. While it looks like I am picking on MSD, I am not trying to be too harsh. IN fact MSD sponsors our racing effort and they have always made a great product and supported it well.

In the case of these coils though, they are just "me too" in red. They lack GMS output, GMS warranty and GMS patented Stainless Connector cables
Old 8/6/07, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor

It also says the guy lost 100 hp - that is goofy talk.
Old 8/6/07, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor

They work on 2v, 3v, and 4v. We offer specific applications for all of them. You can't loose 100hp or even 60hp. These guys have something else wrong or they installed them wrong. Not passing the buck but we would not be selling 6000 a month if they lost power. We all have our bad days but I can't help but think these guys are either gapping the plugs wrong or something?

Stone stock 3v with just 500 miles on it - picked up 7hp and 9 ft/lbs

Saleen Extreme - factory blown 3v 16.2 hp gain and 12.2ft/lbs

Ford GT (GT40) 16.2hp gain and 28 ft/lbs

These tests were all video taped and continuesly watched by the customers and video people. HP TV had 2 witness as well. The parts do thier job
Old 8/6/07, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i could see this for a car with a power adder like nitrous or forced induction but i do not know if it is right for a N/A car
See directly above

Quick Reply: Dynotest Video - Granatelli Coil Packs