General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Does your Mustang come with a Special Story?

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/21, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Does your Mustang come with a Special Story?

I thought I would start a thread for us people who have a special story to go along with their Mustang, I'll start by telling mine.

I bought my 2011 Mustang GT/CS my senior year of college, traded in my 2005 Roush Stage 1 for it, spent a lot of time under the hood with my friends making it as fast as my wallet would permit at the time. Took it to every car meet and show I could find, and raced everyone who would line up (I didn’t lose often). About two years after I bought it I traded it in for a Mercedes E550 because I thought I needed a car that was more professional as I was starting a career in business. I tried to justify keeping it, but I couldn’t afford two car payments at the time. I missed that car so much, I talked about how I regretted selling it almost every day. About a year and a half after I sold it, I was doing a lot better financially and wanted another mustang. I spent weeks browsing through the car listing sites trying to find the right car, and then it hit me. I wasn’t looking for a mustang, I was looking for my mustang! So I had a dealer friend run the vin and get me the owner’s name, I found him on Instagram and a single photo of the car confirmed that it was mine. I messaged the guy and convinced him to sell it back to me, ended up paying $1,000 more than what I traded it in for, but it was worth every penny to have that car back. Now it’s my weekend toy, my friends still come over and work on it with me whenever it needs anything. I’m never selling that car, I’ll keep it until I die, maybe they'll bury me in it lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by dj050894:
Bigshow14 (7/30/21), houtex (7/31/21)
Old 7/29/21, 04:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,078 Posts
that's a really nice car for a "starving college student" LOL!

Mine was my 50th birthday present to myself; I finally decided that if I didn't hurry up and get myself a fun car, I probably never would.

I had always wanted one when I was a teenager and young adult, but at that time anything I could afford was rusting to pieces. I always thought to myself -- it would be awesome if they would build and sell modern recreations of the classic designs; and finally in the late 2000's they did it!

Last edited by Bert; 7/29/21 at 04:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
houtex (7/31/21)
Old 7/29/21, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
that's a really nice car for a "starving college student" LOL!

Mine was my 50th birthday present to myself; I finally decided that if I didn't hurry up and get myself a fun car, I probably never would.

I had always wanted one when I was a teenager and young adult, but at that time anything I could afford was rusting to pieces. I always thought to myself -- it would be awesome if they would build and sell modern recreations of the classic designs; and finally in the late 2000's they did it!
Haha, I was a college student, but I always made sure I was well fed . I sold cars and did F&I at a small independent car dealership to put myself through college. I went out and found this one at another dealership and paid wholesale for it, so that helped. It was 4 years old and had 15k miles on it when I bought, I think I paid $21,500 for it if I remember right. Good credit made it happen lol. At the time I had a bad habit of getting a new car every couple years, that's where all of my extra money went for a long time
houtex (7/31/21), Jaryd21 (8/2/21)
Old 7/30/21, 04:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
I got into Mustangs at an early age. My grandfather had a 66 mustang since well 66. He eventually turned it into a drag racer. When I would visit my grandparents I would help him work on it and things like that. He is still going to this day in his 80's and the car is still beautiful. This is how many obsession with Mustangs started. This is a picture of him drag racing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jaryd21:
Bigshow14 (7/30/21), dj050894 (7/30/21), houtex (7/31/21)
Old 7/31/21, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Two stories. I got my first Mustang after being hit by one.
I was in high school, and driving a '68 Falcon. (I could tell stories about that car, too.) It was 1976, and I was rear-ended by a blue '73 Mach 1 at a stop light. That totaled the Falcon, and I ended up replacing it with my first Mustang, the '69 coupe.

Me and the 1969 Mustang. Was I ever really this young?

Second story. Fast forward to 2020. Thanks to diligent searching by my bride, we find a 2015 S550 with all the desired ingredients (V8, manual gearbox, convertible.) We drive two and a half hours to get it, and bring her home.

A fond farewell to the '06 GT and hello to the 2015, named "Big Bird".

I look through the car like usual for information (she's used) to learn what I can about previous care and maintenance, etc. I get a copy of the original sticker online.

Turns out she rolled out of Flat Rock in late November 2014, and within a week was titled - to the Ford Motor Company. I have the paperwork - it was still in the glove box. Also included were the maintenance instructions which specified it had to be serviced at Ford World Headquarters unless it was a certain number of miles away. Ford had her for about fifteen months, then sent her to a North Carolina dealership - with roughly 300 miles on the odometer.

My guess is she was a trailer queen to start, going from event to event and getting displayed for the public. That's the simplest solution I can think of that explains the very low miles.

She had one owner before us. When we took her home she had just 51,000 miles on her. Big Bird is, so far, the most enjoyable Mustang I've ever had.

The 2015 GT convertible, "Big Bird".

Last edited by Paris MkVI; 12/29/22 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
The following 3 users liked this post by Paris MkVI:
dj050894 (8/1/21), houtex (7/31/21), Jaryd21 (8/2/21)
Old 7/31/21, 06:59 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,725 Posts
Nice stories!
Old 7/31/21, 03:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I can't explain it, but I'm a Mustang guy since almost birth. Well, that's stretchin' it a bit, but for sure, Mustang has been a thing for a looong time, as I'm sure it's been for many of you.

My first super-detailed model? A '66 Mustang coupe, red with white interior. I spent an entire day spray painting the red paint on that body, doors, hood, complete with 10 coats of color and 5 coats of clear. That body was *smooth* when I got done. All the black/shadow portions of grilled, the hubcaps, even the dash which were all chromed plastic, I figured out how to paint with thinned out black paint and let that fill the cracks/crevices then the thinner would dry up and leave the paint, allowing the chrome to be exposed where needed. I was really proud of that model. I really wish I knew what happened, but we moved and I lost it.

So when I got my first car? '78 II. Orange Hatchback. Not knowing that IIs were supposed to be 'not Mustangs', I just drove and drove that thing, when it would not be broken. It was a looker. But always broken, so it had to go.

Next Mustang was that '66, which I eventually found, resto-modded, and it was great. One of my favorites. But I built her too well and I was always scared to drive her after I finished her up. I reversed the paint scheme, white with red interior. I sold her because I felt she needed a better home than me, sitting around like that. I don't know what happened after that, she was sold immediately after and I lost track.

Next Mustang was the '86 SVO and while it was fun... friends don't let friends get super rare Mustangs if they are supposed to be daily drivers. Yeah. Not a good choice. That had to go. I really liked it, but I hate parts chases for the littlest of things, like a special dang a/c compressor. Goofy stuff like that.

Which brings us to the current Mustang, Awesome, read below. Hands down the best car I've ever owned. And like OP, that car's *never* leaving me. You've read all the stories, maybe. But her story is that I work at a dealership group, and my ol' '97 HoopTBird was about done with life. Not worth fixing by far. Nice car, really. Everything worked, but after the timing cover/oil pressure valve debacle happened, and that transmission started being a bit slippyish, and the cats had let go because the injectors all got mad... yeah. Not worth it, honestly.

I was looking at econoboxes because, well, responsible adulting and such. Save on gas, have a good pick like a Corolla maybe? IDK, but I was tryin' to convince myself it was the right call. Then this white '06 Mustang shows up at the used car lot at one of the campuses and I see it. I said 'Huh. That's pretty." But there was a policy that said 3 weeks before employees could have a go at the car at all, due to some side trafficking of the newly arrived used cars. Dealership didn't like bein' cut outta the profits.

I waited.. not intentionally, but because I'm a little bit of a waffler. Still wrangling the 'new car/used car/what car' thing, but HoopTBird was really not gonna last much longer it felt like. Still, I avoided staring at the pretty lil' Mustang out there at that place...

...until three weeks went by. And then an extra. Again, waffling, but this time it was because "it's still there. I shouldn't. I mean, responsible adult and such, right?"

Then I sorta... snapped. I went into the tower, said "Could I maybe the the keys to this stock number?" And the manager said "Get this man any keys he wants!" Which was nifty, but I only wanted the one set. Went out to the Mustang... Oh, man. Exactly all the options. Well, the upgraded wheels weren't there, but excepting that, excatly how I'd have it... and had played with the configurator to have it. Only other configuration would have been Emberglo with Parchment interior, but apparently they never offered such.

So... 5 speed, V8, GT, all the things(tm)... Lemme go drive it.

I did.

I came back 30 minutes later. I think I even put gas in it. Heh.

And 2 hours later, she was mine, lock stock and barrel. Transferred all the crap outta HoopTBird, and she's been mine ever since.

I have never got in, drove, and bought a car so quickly. Ever. Never been so comfortable in a car right away. All my cars took months to get used to. Me and Awesome? Like a glove. It's like it was meant to be and all that hooey. For sure, though, that was MY car. And what a car, still.

The name didn't come until later. My earlier posts you can see I had other ideas. Some I cringe at. But the name came from the idea of searching for a plate because I'd never had a custom plate before. STUPID was available, and I *almost* did it. Just because I'm weird, but you knew that. Other things came and went as 'oh look, that's there...' Then I found it. I won't spell it, because internet, you can take your stabs at it and get it wrong or right and I'll neither confirm or deny. But the spelling was available, I sent that one and only that one it, and got it. Name tag. Name. And it fit.

She's still Awesome to me. Always will be. But she's retired somewhat, as I've got a worktruck in the Caliber, and getting her out right now is a bit of a pill of shuffling things. But I do get her out and run her around on good roads to ensure she's fine. I need a bigger garage is all, but that's another story or something.

I miss all my previous Mustangs, even the SVO. They were all pretty good steeds. But Awesome, by far, lives up to her name and is my favorite and best car I've ever owned.

So there ya go. Hope that was ok.

---

TL;DR: It was meant to be. All of it.

Last edited by houtex; 7/31/21 at 03:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by houtex:
dj050894 (8/1/21), Jaryd21 (8/2/21)
Old 8/1/21, 04:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Sounds a lot like how I felt about our '06 GT. All cars have some issues. But by and large, Ford hit the target with the S197's pretty dead center.

Now, I think they did it again with the S550's, although they are very different from the 197's.
Jaryd21 (8/2/21)
Old 8/1/21, 10:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I can't explain it, but I'm a Mustang guy since almost birth. Well, that's stretchin' it a bit, but for sure, Mustang has been a thing for a looong time, as I'm sure it's been for many of you.

My first super-detailed model? A '66 Mustang coupe, red with white interior. I spent an entire day spray painting the red paint on that body, doors, hood, complete with 10 coats of color and 5 coats of clear. That body was *smooth* when I got done. All the black/shadow portions of grilled, the hubcaps, even the dash which were all chromed plastic, I figured out how to paint with thinned out black paint and let that fill the cracks/crevices then the thinner would dry up and leave the paint, allowing the chrome to be exposed where needed. I was really proud of that model. I really wish I knew what happened, but we moved and I lost it.

So when I got my first car? '78 II. Orange Hatchback. Not knowing that IIs were supposed to be 'not Mustangs', I just drove and drove that thing, when it would not be broken. It was a looker. But always broken, so it had to go.

Next Mustang was that '66, which I eventually found, resto-modded, and it was great. One of my favorites. But I built her too well and I was always scared to drive her after I finished her up. I reversed the paint scheme, white with red interior. I sold her because I felt she needed a better home than me, sitting around like that. I don't know what happened after that, she was sold immediately after and I lost track.

Next Mustang was the '86 SVO and while it was fun... friends don't let friends get super rare Mustangs if they are supposed to be daily drivers. Yeah. Not a good choice. That had to go. I really liked it, but I hate parts chases for the littlest of things, like a special dang a/c compressor. Goofy stuff like that.

Which brings us to the current Mustang, Awesome, read below. Hands down the best car I've ever owned. And like OP, that car's *never* leaving me. You've read all the stories, maybe. But her story is that I work at a dealership group, and my ol' '97 HoopTBird was about done with life. Not worth fixing by far. Nice car, really. Everything worked, but after the timing cover/oil pressure valve debacle happened, and that transmission started being a bit slippyish, and the cats had let go because the injectors all got mad... yeah. Not worth it, honestly.

I was looking at econoboxes because, well, responsible adulting and such. Save on gas, have a good pick like a Corolla maybe? IDK, but I was tryin' to convince myself it was the right call. Then this white '06 Mustang shows up at the used car lot at one of the campuses and I see it. I said 'Huh. That's pretty." But there was a policy that said 3 weeks before employees could have a go at the car at all, due to some side trafficking of the newly arrived used cars. Dealership didn't like bein' cut outta the profits.

I waited.. not intentionally, but because I'm a little bit of a waffler. Still wrangling the 'new car/used car/what car' thing, but HoopTBird was really not gonna last much longer it felt like. Still, I avoided staring at the pretty lil' Mustang out there at that place...

...until three weeks went by. And then an extra. Again, waffling, but this time it was because "it's still there. I shouldn't. I mean, responsible adult and such, right?"

Then I sorta... snapped. I went into the tower, said "Could I maybe the the keys to this stock number?" And the manager said "Get this man any keys he wants!" Which was nifty, but I only wanted the one set. Went out to the Mustang... Oh, man. Exactly all the options. Well, the upgraded wheels weren't there, but excepting that, excatly how I'd have it... and had played with the configurator to have it. Only other configuration would have been Emberglo with Parchment interior, but apparently they never offered such.

So... 5 speed, V8, GT, all the things(tm)... Lemme go drive it.

I did.

I came back 30 minutes later. I think I even put gas in it. Heh.

And 2 hours later, she was mine, lock stock and barrel. Transferred all the crap outta HoopTBird, and she's been mine ever since.

I have never got in, drove, and bought a car so quickly. Ever. Never been so comfortable in a car right away. All my cars took months to get used to. Me and Awesome? Like a glove. It's like it was meant to be and all that hooey. For sure, though, that was MY car. And what a car, still.

The name didn't come until later. My earlier posts you can see I had other ideas. Some I cringe at. But the name came from the idea of searching for a plate because I'd never had a custom plate before. STUPID was available, and I *almost* did it. Just because I'm weird, but you knew that. Other things came and went as 'oh look, that's there...' Then I found it. I won't spell it, because internet, you can take your stabs at it and get it wrong or right and I'll neither confirm or deny. But the spelling was available, I sent that one and only that one it, and got it. Name tag. Name. And it fit.

She's still Awesome to me. Always will be. But she's retired somewhat, as I've got a worktruck in the Caliber, and getting her out right now is a bit of a pill of shuffling things. But I do get her out and run her around on good roads to ensure she's fine. I need a bigger garage is all, but that's another story or something.

I miss all my previous Mustangs, even the SVO. They were all pretty good steeds. But Awesome, by far, lives up to her name and is my favorite and best car I've ever owned.

So there ya go. Hope that was ok.

---

TL;DR: It was meant to be. All of it.
Good Story, and a funny touch on the plate. I think you'll all get a kick out of my plate

Jaryd21 (8/2/21), shaneyusa (8/2/21)
Old 8/1/21, 09:09 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,725 Posts
Love the plate!
dj050894 (8/3/21)
Old 8/2/21, 03:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
that's a good one.