General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Do You Drag Race?

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/04, 02:35 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
How many times have you taken your Mustang to a drag strip and raced a quarter-mile?
Old 3/23/04, 02:48 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Took my first Capri 3 times, best of 13.9. (5-speed, 1993 Cobra long block, but 2.73 gears)

Took my second Capri 6 times, best was 14.9. (Auto, stock engine)

Haven't taken the "new" Capri. Waiting to install the 3550 Tremec, which should be sometime late spring/early summer. Acquiring pasts as I type!

I always have a good time. Test & Tune on Friday nights. 3-runs for $20 bucks. If I am not running I can sit in the stands and have a few 'cold ones' they sell at a little concession stand. Very nice track. Edgewater, OH outside of Cincinnati.
Old 3/23/04, 04:12 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
wow i'm the only one with 100+.
Old 3/23/04, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scothew@Mar. 23rd, 2004, 5:15 PM
wow i'm the only one with 100+.
Not any more scott I know I've been more than 100 times
Old 3/23/04, 05:53 PM
GT Member

8 occasions for 26 runs down the quarter mile. Quickest time below.
Old 3/23/04, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

a lot but don't have exact numbers without counting timeslips...
Old 3/24/04, 07:33 PM
GT Member

At Least 50+ times that i know of!!
Old 3/25/04, 07:52 AM

I didn't run the quater mile in my old Stang, and bought my new in the off season so haven't had a chance to run it yet....
Old 3/25/04, 07:58 AM

I know 21 votes is about the smallest sampling you can take, but Hau Thai-Tang said 30% of Mustang owners are drag racers. Most Mustang owners aren't enthusiastic enough to join an online Mustang community like this one, but if 30% is true, shouldn't the results of this poll be reversed? So far, about 50% of people enthusiastic enough about their Stangs to join a forum have never drag raced.
Old 3/25/04, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just one epiphany that came to me. My dad is a long time Mustang owner, 66,69FB, 72Mach, 93?cobra, and now a 73 Mach. He as been to the track more then I have. He's 53 now and still goes. Seems like alot of guys at the local track are around his age. He couldnt log onto the internet even if you sat there and walked him through it. I imagine there are alot of people like him that own and drag stangs but dont ever use the net. But I agree, I would have thought the pull would have had more drags.
Old 3/25/04, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by jarradasay@Mar. 25th, 2004, 9:21 AM
Just one epiphany that came to me. My dad is a long time Mustang owner, 66,69FB, 72Mach, 93?cobra, and now a 73 Mach. He as been to the track more then I have. He's 53 now and still goes. Seems like alot of guys at the local track are around his age. He couldnt log onto the internet even if you sat there and walked him through it. I imagine there are alot of people like him that own and drag stangs but dont ever use the net. But I agree, I would have thought the pull would have had more drags.
But Hau Thai-Tang's concern isn't with guys that drag race 30-year old Mustangs; he's concerned with how to build the '05. I don't think he should be concerned with how drag racers will feel about this car in 30 years; he needs to cater to the masses now, and the masses buy Mustangs for a daily commuter.
Old 3/25/04, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@Mar. 25th, 2004, 3:25 PM

But Hau Thai-Tang's concern isn't with guys that drag race 30-year old Mustangs; he's concerned with how to build the '05. I don't think he should be concerned with how drag racers will feel about this car in 30 years; he needs to cater to the masses now, and the masses buy Mustangs for a daily commuter.
Exactly. And if the cost of the mustang with an IRS increases the cost by less than $1,000 per unit for the consumer, I think it would have been a great hit. Plus you can still have the exclusivity of the SVT market by having a tuned IRS for the power and performance. Win-Win in my book

At least let the IRS be a factory option and let the people decide.
Old 3/25/04, 09:30 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Why do I see another IRS debate coming out of this thread.
Old 3/25/04, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I disagree, I bet he is very concerned with what people are doing with the originals. the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. In looking at a car designed for now he said he looked at what the favorite mustangs of all time were and what were the favorite aspects of them. Live axle was one of those traits.
The majority of the people that buy mustangs are not 20-25 year olds. Many are older late thirties to early fifties who have the disposible income, kids are leaving, insurance is cheap. I know this is just one example, but my dad is floored about the new mustang. He is goint to buy two. One to race the other to put around in. They are catering to the right market if you ask me. People who lived with the originals. People who grew up street racing these cars. Now they want the same type of performance but in a car they dont have to worry about. The poll is now over 50 percent that have dragged their car. Hau Thai-Tang looks correct when you consider we are enthusiasts. More of us are likely to drag. (20% more according to the poll). Other factors may be affecting the poll. I know my nearest track is 2.5 hours away. others may have even farther to go. Would people drag them if a legal track was nearby.
Hey I love IRS and wish they put it on the stang too. But I know my father hates it. I guess that is why the cobra will have it.
And if the cost of the mustang with an IRS increases the cost by less than $1,000 per unit for the consumer,
In the Motor trend article Hau Thai-Tang says that IRS was going to push the mustang out of the price rang that they wanted it. There is a lot to an IRS rear end, From A arms to CVs, to knuckles and ball joints. I dont think they could have done it for 1000 bucks. But I have no data to back that up.
Old 3/25/04, 04:43 PM
GT Member

Again I don't see how the numbers that people are using are true! If only 30% of the people that buy a mustang dragrace it then why is ford not listing to the other 70%!?!?!? You will never make me believe that only 30% of the people that buy a mustang dragrace it, the numbers just don't add up!!
I have said it before and I'll say it again...If you want a car with IRS then go buy you a cobra!
Old 3/25/04, 05:09 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I see this thread going out of control

another IRS vs. Solid fued..

I am gonna buy an '05 GT, because I don't want to spend the money on a cobra. I have seen quite a few times, especially on BON, a cobra owner wanting to swap their IRS for a solid for free. The minute a deal like that comes along in my area, I hit it... and then everyone is happy (at least me)

the flipside of no IRS is affordablility. I don't ever want to see the mustang become a rich boy's toy...

now, the rear suspension is how it is.. we can't do anything about it

I have been to the track once, took my buddy's car down four times, with my best time being a 14.6

I plan on taking my '05 to the track every once in a while...
Old 3/25/04, 05:35 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

You guys are forgetting that the pics we have all seen of the new rear suspension setup is going to be a 3-link type setup. Its going to handle amazingly well right out of the box compared to the old 4-link setup we've had since 1979. It will be a good match between handling and straight line performance directly out of the box.
Old 3/26/04, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by scothew@Mar. 25th, 2004, 6:38 PM
You guys are forgetting that the pics we have all seen of the new rear suspension setup is going to be a 3-link type setup. Its going to handle amazingly well right out of the box compared to the old 4-link setup we've had since 1979. It will be a good match between handling and straight line performance directly out of the box.
ding ding ding! we have a winner!
Old 3/27/04, 04:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hey Brad, you should have put in an over 200 number, I can probably come pretty close.
Old 4/22/04, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I baught my 88 GT Hatch about a month ago.... Im doing some minor upgrades begore I take her out.... I dont want to be too depressed with my 1/4.

Quick Reply: Do You Drag Race?