General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

coyote swap new edge cam problems,

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/23, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coyote swap new edge cam problems,

Hey I just got my coyote swap running but I am getting two camshaft codes saying both banks are over advanced (P0011 and P0021). I've tried replacing the VVT Solenoids but didn't fix it. Its weird that both banks are throwing codes so maybe the timing is actually off but i got the motor with 67k miles and doubt the timing was messed with. My uncle is mechanic and had a BMW with same issue and said he tried replacing a bunch of different things to fix the issue as well but found out he just had to drive the car for a while so the computer could adjust or something like that. I'm hesitant on trying that because I don't want to damage the engine incase there is something actually wrong with the cams. Does anyone have any experiences like this or information that could help?
Old 2/18/23, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0021
The P0011 is the same page just edited for the bank in question.

I don't know what was done to this engine before/after the swappening. I am... somewhat skeptical, let's say, about your Uncle's experiences, but then, that's a BMW. Ford doesn't do like that. It's either right or it's not and the ECU will definitely let you know it. Ain't no 'learning' involved in this TiVCT system, it's 'hard set' when done correctly. I am also waaaay over here, so there is that to be taken into consideration, but I am speaking from replacing the entire timing setup on my 4.6L myself, so I know what's going on with the Coyote as well. Differences are the two extra solenoids and sensors for the two added cams vs the 4.6L, the little chains thereto connecting the exhaust cams to the crank driven intake cams, and the rear mounted crank sensor. Beyond that they are virtually the same timing system for both, same chain systems used from the crank to the intake cams. Modular family is what it is.

So. With that in mind, it's really down to these are the four things:
  • Incorrect camshaft timing
  • Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system
  • Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
  • Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
And past that, I have no real input. Like I said, the way it is supposed to be, if everything is in line/timed, and the sensors are all good, and the wiring thereto, the computer's good, the VCT solenoids are working and the sprockets aren't junked... it just works, and you don't get these codes at all. It's that cut and dry a system.

To that end, I recommend a shop manual for whatever closest year Mustang GT so you can get your hands on the diagnostics and follow them through. You (and we) will otherwise be shotgunning this situation. Or take it to a Ford mechanic. No offense to your uncle, but that's a BMW and those are way different aminals regarding this computer controlled stuff. You need the proper tools, or someone who has them, to diagnose the car and get it right.

---

Now, having said that... again, not knowing what happened before/after the swap to this engine, it's origins, all that... And looking up a handy chart on another Mustang site with a 6 in it...

The two codes you have are for the INTAKE cams' timings. Not the exhausts. Which I find interesting. This means the intake cam sensor on both sides are reporting something is wrong in accordance to where the crank sensor is and/or the exhaust cam is located. Aka, the exhaust cam is fine.

Other codes you could be possibly getting: P0020 - intake cam sensor circuit malfunction, P0022 - intake cam retarded; and P0023-25, which are the same codes but for the exhaust cams. And then sub the 002 with 001 for the passenger side, as P002x are for the driver's side cams.

But you aren't getting those. Just the two intake cams. Seeing as how the intake cams are driven using small chains from the exhaust cam, and the exhaust cam is driven from the crank on their chains, it appears the intake drive chains have jumped time, or the VCT sprockets are junk. I do not know if it can be done to somehow put the crank into 'keyway at 9'clock' position, take the valve covers off and see if the two cam sprockets are in time up there on the left (driver's) side, nor the crank 'keyway at 12 o'clock' position for the right side. And honestly... I might be looking to do the entire timing over again with all new stuff. Timing setup on that Coyote's a little more involved on the chain installs than the 4.6L, that's for sure with that movin' of the crank. You don't do that on mine or the 5.4L. And I'd wager that means it's only all lined up every so often...

So. That's what I got. I'm hopeful it's not a bigger deal to fix that intake cam situation than I'm thinking, but there ya go. Maybe someone else will chime in with better info/advice. In any event, I hope that helps, and good dang luck to you.
The following users liked this post:
DavidQ707 (2/20/23)
Old 2/20/23, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the information! I’ve got the engine exposed now, cam covers and the front cover off so we were just checking all the timing marks and when we finally spun the crank so that all the marks coming from the crank chains were all lined up we saw that the smaller chain’s marks that just go around the exhaust and intake cams were on opposite sides of each other. So we were just going to spin the crank clockwise all over again so the front marks line up again and then see if the small chain marks line up this time. But now that I think about it I may just replace the timing components with the Boss 302 components. I’ll keep you posted on any updates.