General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Cooper (Zeon RS3-S) Went Bad

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/15, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cooper (Zeon RS3-S) Went Bad

I own a 2014 Roush Stage 3 Mustang and it has the upgraded 20" Cooper (Zeon RS3-S) tires. I found out today two went bad. I have just shy of 4000 miles and lately I have been feeling a vibration throughout the car at 55 plus MPH. Today I brought the vehicle to Preston Ford in Maryland and they road forced balanced the tires. At the conclusion of the balance all four tires were out of balance, the two front tires were slightly out of balance and the rear were so bad they need to be replaced. Thank goodness Preston Ford is a dealership who cares and immediately ordered two new tires. Thank goodness all labor and tires are under warranty even though the vehicle is over a year and half old. Just wondering if any others have had bad experience with the Cooper (Zeon RS3-S) tires? Does anyone believe I should have pushed four all four to be changed even though the front tires came within specs when road balanced? The four tires look brand new and I am very disappointed with them. Thanks
Old 12/24/15, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Do you store the vehicle for long periods with the tires on the ground?
Old 12/24/15, 12:42 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
That's weird.
There are great reviews on that tire. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I have a lot less mileage than you do. Good luck!
Old 12/24/15, 01:13 PM
V6 Member

I bought the car at Preston Ford on October 7th with 1811 miles on it. I have put close to 2000 on it since then. Maybe the original owner who traded it in had it stored.The original owner had the vehicle for more than a year and since the mileage is low he could have let sit with the tires on the ground. When I bought it I did not feel any vibration at first because I babied the car and rarely excelled past 65. Recently I have drove it to work on occasions and started feeling the vibration through the seat at speeds higher than 65. Maybe the vibration was always there and never had the opportunity to feel it until recently.
Old 12/24/15, 01:53 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by ejpatrone
I bought the car at Preston Ford on October 7th with 1811 miles on it. I have put close to 2000 on it since then. Maybe the original owner who traded it in had it stored.The original owner had the vehicle for more than a year and since the mileage is low he could have let sit with the tires on the ground. When I bought it I did not feel any vibration at first because I babied the car and rarely excelled past 65. Recently I have drove it to work on occasions and started feeling the vibration through the seat at speeds higher than 65. Maybe the vibration was always there and never had the opportunity to feel it until recently.
That could very well be the reason. Especially if you haven't had the car past 65 MPH.
Good luck Ed.
Old 12/25/15, 07:09 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
I would have pushed for 4 new ones. Now they are out of sync as far as longevity. The fronts will need to be replaced before the rears, and so on. I always start fresh with new rubber on used cars. You never know how the original owner treated his car, what curbs or potholes he hit, or anything else. I don't like doubt in my mind, especially with a sweet car like yours. Get two new ones for the front too. Start fresh.
** just wanted to add: If for some reason the Coopers aren't that great for you, it's not the end of the world to start fresh even again with a new set of Goodyears or whatever top quality brand you like. Just avoid the Chinese stuff, and I don't care what anybody says.

Last edited by NC14GT; 12/25/15 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12/25/15, 08:27 AM
Cobra R Member

^ You do realize Goodyear has plants in MANY other countries, including China, yes?
Old 12/25/15, 09:51 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
^ You do realize Goodyear has plants in MANY other countries, including China, yes?
Plus,........Goodyear tires aren't that great. At all.
Old 12/25/15, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Plus,........Goodyear tires aren't that great. At all.
Also that... I'm not sure why people willingly buy them.
Old 12/25/15, 03:46 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Also that... I'm not sure why people willingly buy them.
Yeah,...they did make a great tire a while back, but now they are just junk, in my opinion.
Old 12/26/15, 04:13 AM
V6 Member

Tire buying can be difficult with so many options out there. Some people have great luck with a certain brand and another as myself is not. I will see how the dealership responds when asking for all new tires, hopefully they can be convinced. Preston Ford is usually a Dealership who are customer orientated and take pride with themselves. They are the biggest dealership on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and want to stay this way. There are others who are close, but Preston always comes out on top. I will let all of you know if it remains as two new tires or convince them to give four. I have to add the front tires wear is very minimal and even with two new tires the difference will be marginal. Thanks for everyone's input and hope all of you had a Merry Christmas! I had to work, wife was not happy....
Old 12/26/15, 07:11 AM

Thank you! I always had to work on Christmas too. Nice to be retired.
Quality tires are sometimes put down by people that can't afford them. It's not right to put them down when it comes time for wise decision making. I've been on mostly Goodyears for over 40 years and they are the best tires IMO, along with Michelins, that you can buy. The GS-D3 set I had on my T/A were incredible in all conditions except the cold (not designed for that). My Eagle GT's on my Mustang were made in the USA by the way, and Superb!! No wear issues, no tramlining, no road noise, no serious issues. Cross country driving to local spirited curves here in the mountains. For those that dislike them, what happened to your Goodyears personally? None of this "I heard from friends" stories. Why do you dislike them? I'd like to hear, and what model? Bottom of the line in any brand is always troublesome. You get what you pay for.
I can't imagine Goodyear or Michelin having their top of the line tires made in China. China = CHEAP.

Last edited by NC14GT; 12/26/15 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12/26/15, 07:24 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
For those that dislike them, what happened to your Goodyears personally? None of this "I heard from friends" stories. Why do you dislike them? I'd like to hear, and what model? Bottom of the line in any brand is always troublesome. You get what you pay for.
I can't imagine Goodyear or Michelin having their top of the line tires made in China. China = CHEAP.
On my old truck, which I bought brand new in 2005, it came with Goodyear Wranglers. About 4 years later, with not much mileage at all, I could see the sidewalls starting to tear or rip. The traction on those tires weren't that great as well. Not bad, but not that great. (And just so it be known, every time I washed the truck, I did the Zaino tire shine/protectant, so it wasn't from tire rot.) Also, I posted online about it on the Ram forums and I wasn't alone. People were complaining about them a lot. MY mechanic, whom is over a 20 ASE certified mechanic, and my cousin whom worked at Firestore tire both agree that the Goodyears are garbage. They called them, Goodyuck tires. lol
I have the same tire on my brand new 2016 Ram. Not too excited about it, but we'll see how well these ones do. Hopefully better.
Good luck!!
Old 12/26/15, 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

I've never driven on a Goodyear that was good from an enthusiast's standpoint. No grip, poor hydroplaning resistance, mediocre (at best) tread life....just nothing good to say about them, especially for the price. The all seasons

I can get better performing tires for less money, that will last just as long. Maybe their "everyday driver" tires that are just supposed to last forever and be quiet are much better, but I've yet to find a goodyear summer or winter tire that stood out.
Old 12/26/15, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I would have pushed for 4 new ones. Now they are out of sync as far as longevity. The fronts will need to be replaced before the rears...
Funniest thing I've read in a long time!

Seriously? You have RS3 and you think the fronts are going to wear out before this new set of rear tires? If you're doing it right, you should go through at least 2 sets of rear tires before the fronts need replacing.
Old 12/26/15, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a set of Hankook on my 2012 GT. Have had no problems. I also have a set on 2002 XTerra. Again no problem.
Old 12/29/15, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Stage_3
On my old truck, which I bought brand new in 2005, it came with Goodyear Wranglers. About 4 years later, with not much mileage at all, I could see the sidewalls starting to tear or rip. The traction on those tires weren't that great as well. Not bad, but not that great. (And just so it be known, every time I washed the truck, I did the Zaino tire shine/protectant, so it wasn't from tire rot.) Also, I posted online about it on the Ram forums and I wasn't alone. People were complaining about them a lot. MY mechanic, whom is over a 20 ASE certified mechanic, and my cousin whom worked at Firestore tire both agree that the Goodyears are garbage. They called them, Goodyuck tires. lol
I have the same tire on my brand new 2016 Ram. Not too excited about it, but we'll see how well these ones do. Hopefully better.
Good luck!!
Thanks for the reply. I have no experience with their truck line of tires so that is interesting to hear, although I wouldn't hold much credence to the opinion of a rival that works with Firestone. Your own opinion and experience I'll definitely note.
Old 12/29/15, 02:51 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Thanks for the reply. I have no experience with their truck line of tires so that is interesting to hear, although I wouldn't hold much credence to the opinion of a rival that works with Firestone. Your own opinion and experience I'll definitely note.
Yeah, definitely. Did you read Joey what's posts as well? He's driven on the Goodyuck performance tires and they sucked as well.
I'm not trying to sway you away from Goodyucks. If you want them and your heart is set on them, go for it. I'm just telling you from personal experience as well as Joeywhat's experience.
Good luck!