General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Coolant to Water ratio in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/17, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant to Water ratio in Florida

Hey guys, I searched this but couldn't pin-point an answer (there should be a correct answer).

So for my intercooler (under the supercharger) circuit, I use 20/80 water to coolant. It seems to cool pretty well, I don't get heat soaked much at all (on the street). I was wondering what ratio you guys run in the block circuit. I know 50/50 works well, but considering that I'm in Florida, I don't need to worry about the freezing at all. I can only think of a handful of times it's reached 32 degrees, which is only at night and the early morning, and it's much warmer than that in my garage. I do however need to pay attention to the boiling point.

I know the water spends a lot longer of a time in the heat of the engine than the other circuit, so I figure the temps will run much higher and I don't think a 20/80 boiling point will suffice (I do go through drive through's and get stuck in traffic so just to be safe).

Thanks for any input.
Old 3/1/17, 08:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Running the same " Ford " coolant in both the engine cooling system & blower cooling system, on both cars.
Package states 50/50 mixture, so that's what I run.
If you're using something other than Ford coolant, contact the mfg. and ask about mixing ratios.
Old 3/3/17, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
the 50/50 is to control over heating as well as freezing...at least that is what I thought. There is some stuff other there called water wetter that works very good also.
https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10