General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Convincing my father to let me get a GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/14, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Supersnake04
the burn statement was me being very angry about him talking about selling it, I was basically saying I wasn't downgrading and I would destroy it before I did. It was more of a scare tactic anyway. I wouldn't have actually done it. I would go to jail!

Some times it is more in the presentation than the message!!!

I remember being 17 my son is 16. I have a 2006 Mustang pony with the gt cs trim on it. It is his he just has to get good grades and pay for insurance and gas..

So a search on V6 and turbos.
Old 7/14/14, 10:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
oh pics of Dad and Stepmother?? Call your ins company and see how much ins would be for a GT. Just for the fun of it. Also just drive the 6er until you save up enough cash to buy a GT and pay for ins. Then your parents won't have much to say about it. Did I already ask for pics??
I agree on the save your money part. Also get a job(if you don't already have one) and show them that your responsible. Start saving some money even if its in a place in your room. Then in a year or two when your insurance goes down. Talk to them again. And if they say no then go up in your room and grab the money you've been saving. And show them that you looked into this and you saved up money. Just a thought.
Old 7/14/14, 10:29 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
My daughter is 6 and has an "owl" piggy bank halfway full. She tells me every other week or so that she's saving to buy her pink Mustang for when she's older.

Half of my heart smiles and the other half worries.
Old 7/14/14, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MustangLover2013
I agree on the save your money part. Also get a job(if you don't already have one) and show them that your responsible. Start saving some money even if its in a place in your room. Then in a year or two when your insurance goes down. Talk to them again. And if they say no then go up in your room and grab the money you've been saving. And show them that you looked into this and you saved up money. Just a thought.
I could do that.
Old 7/14/14, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
My daughter is 6 and has an "owl" piggy bank halfway full. She tells me every other week or so that she's saving to buy her pink Mustang for when she's older. Half of my heart smiles and the other half worries.
aw. .
Old 7/14/14, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had lots of cars when my kids were teenagers. I let my son drive the '78 Lincoln Mark V with the 400M that, in just the right light, looked pink. Eventually, I upgraded him into a '88 Mercury Colony Park wagon with woodgrain sides. He got in an accident in that car and totalled it out but it was not his fault. An oncoming car turned left in front of him.

I put my daughter into a '99 Crown Vic. She had a little "incident" with that one so I put her into raggedy 4cyl fox body notchback. 98hp isn't going to get anyone in trouble. LOL. I grew up in my own teen years driving a '78 LTD wagon with the 400M until I got a beat up Mustang II of my own. All things considered, driving a V6 Mustang during your teen years isn't all that bad. For now, suck it up and do what it takes not to drive a truly boring car.
Old 7/14/14, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
I had lots of cars when my kids were teenagers. I let my son drive the '78 Lincoln Mark V with the 400M that, in just the right light, looked pink. Eventually, I upgraded him into a '88 Mercury Colony Park wagon with woodgrain sides. He got in an accident in that car and totalled it out but it was not his fault. An oncoming car turned left in front of him. I put my daughter into a '99 Crown Vic. She had a little "incident" with that one so I put her into raggedy 4cyl fox body notchback. 98hp isn't going to get anyone in trouble. LOL. I grew up in my own teen years driving a '78 LTD wagon with the 400M until I got a beat up Mustang II of my own. All things considered, driving a V6 Mustang during your teen years isn't all that bad. For now, suck it up and do what it takes not to drive a truly boring car.
These days, a 98hp car is more of a hazard to a teen than it is safe. A car that slow can't get out of its own way, or the texting soccer mom barreling towards them in her 5000 pound SUV. I'd say a 200-250hp car is perfect these days, at least to start out. Maybe an SVT Focus or even a Miata - less seats (less friends to egg him/her on, no back seats to "get in trouble", less power, nimble to swerve around said idiot in her 5000 pound SUV.
Old 7/14/14, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
These days, a 98hp car is more of a hazard to a teen than it is safe. A car that slow can't get out of its own way, or the texting soccer mom barreling towards them in her 5000 pound SUV. I'd say a 200-250hp car is perfect these days, at least to start out. Maybe an SVT Focus or even a Miata - less seats (less friends to egg him/her on, no back seats to "get in trouble", less power, nimble to swerve around said idiot in her 5000 pound SUV.
exactly, I even have to have my v6 at wot when turning in bad traffic or getting on the freeway!
Old 7/14/14, 09:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

exactly, I even have to have my v6 at wot when turning in bad traffic or getting on the freeway!
I made do with my 6er, but I remember that feeling too. It's the bare minimum or power IMO. If you haven't already, a cheap exhaust mod is to cut the tailpipe and have a turn down welded on the back of the muffler (angled towards the driver's side). It'll deepen your exhaust for about $50 total. Other than that, I would put zero money into your car other than maintenance. You won't get your money's worth. Save save save. Even if it's just for something like a 94-98 Cobra. The 94-95 are very easy to build up being the older 5.0, and the 96-98 love boost. You're good either way.
Old 7/14/14, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snake, the reason we're all giving you pretty much the same advice is because we've all been where you are now... Hell, we've BEEN you! 17, full of testosterone, wanting to be on the move-- out in the world, experiencing all it has to offer. Patrick (Getportfolio) put it best: you're paying your dues. Some day you'll look back and see how really great you've got it now, and not the least of it is that you've got a family who love you and worry about you. You can't begin to put a price on that. It will all fall into place for you; just give it time.
Old 7/14/14, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
Snake, the reason we're all giving you pretty much the same advice is because we've all been where you are now... Hell, we've BEEN you! 17, full of testosterone, wanting to be on the move-- out in the world, experiencing all it has to offer. Patrick (Getportfolio) put it best: you're paying your dues. Some day you'll look back and see how really great you've got it now, and not the least of it is that you've got a family who love you and worry about you. You can't begin to put a price on that. It will all fall into place for you; just give it time.
This. You should've seen the look on the faces of the dudes that used to talk all the smack in high school because they rolled GTs or Mach 1s (that their parents either outright bought them or helped them buy) when I told them I was buying a brand new factory ordered 2014 GT fully loaded, and they're all still rolling SN95s. Shear envy. I tried to be as humble as possible, but then I started listing off the mods I had purchased before I even picked up the car, and I might have gotten a little carried away your time will come. Now stop ****in off like you say you do all the time on here and start thinking/talking like a man. Heck, I will always be a kid and my dad will always bust my ***** over spending money on car mods when I should be saving, but guess what. It's my money now, and I make enough, at a stable job, to save AND buy mods here and there, so I don't even bother arguing with him anymore.
Old 7/15/14, 07:55 PM
CBJ
V6 Member

Be proud of that v6 man! I owned 4 bangers all my life. I'm 35 and I JUST now own a v6(not counting a highlander). I'll get a GT when I'm ready..but I'll admit when I drove one I could just tell it had power I couldn't use properly or could kill me. You sound passionate so I'm sure a GT will be the first car you will purchase on your own. But like others here said..be patient ..it is a rite of passage. Get a steady check and find that used GT when the time is right.

Last edited by CBJ; 7/15/14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 7/15/14, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

+1 on all the great advice. I would have LOVED to have a Mustang or a V6 at your age. I wound up saving my coin at a weekend job and buying an old no frills 4-banger Chevy which was worth every penny of the $500 I paid for it.

I bought a used v6 camry after I graduated college, and that has been my DD ever since. Between the Camry and Mustang, I now out-cylinder my wife 14-4

Moral of the story: be safe, save your cash, keep your folks happy. In hindsight, I'm glad I stuck with dependable non-sporty cars for so long. I saved money on car payments and insurance - enough to get my dream car at a relatively young age, now that I have the space and spare change to work on her.
Old 7/16/14, 12:34 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Focus, keep your focus. You know what you want and you have gotten some very useful advice from the other posters. We have all been there. I just got my Grabber Blue Mustang. A car and color I've wanted since 1970. I was your age at the time. Having had to go through a wife, 2 kids, minivans and 4 door sedans I truly appreciate the effort and time spent for the end result. And with the situation you describe, you will get your desired result a lot sooner than I got mine.

You, yourself, say that even with the 6er you have nothing to be embarrassed about when driving it to school. I did, but the alternative was to ride the school bus with elementary school kids. I put up with my situation.

One more thing: if your dad's name is on the title-as far as your state is concerned HE is the owner and can do whatever he wants with it. Including burning it in the driveway. You'll have to go to court, sue to prove the intent of your grandfather, for you to be legally considered the owner before your dad signs the title over to you. Good luck in finding an attorney to take THAT case. I'm NOT SAYING that your dad is trying to keep you from getting your due, just the opposite. I'm just saying that by having his name on the title and helping you save on your insurance bill, he can in fact do anything with the 6er that he sees fit. Realize that is the situation you are in. Don't complain. Use it to your advantage, show your responsibility and (dare I say it) maturity. Good luck.
Old 7/16/14, 01:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I’m probably not much help here. I had a 500+hp GT/CS with a 4 speed when I was your age and I’m amazed I didn’t kill myself in it. But, jeez, I sure had fun trying! Only a few other guys at my school had cars that “might” keep up with me but they all crashed. Family life eventually caught up with me and I had to let it go for something more practical. Painful!

As far as waiting goes, I’m not that patient any more. I figure I’ll be dead tomorrow so if I wait… It seems like someone tries to kill me every day at least once! It gets really annoying.

But you are in a situation with your folks and have to tough it out. There’s some good advice above and by playing it cool and responsibly, maybe your day will arrive…if you don’t get killed. Perhaps you could find a way to share with your dad how the stories of his cars as a youth have inspired you and that you hope to have some similar experiences to reflect back on someday…if you don’t get killed. He might share some survival tips too!
Old 7/16/14, 06:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
ok I need some advice here my dad's the title holder on my car (no he didn't buy it) and I want to get rid of the v6 and get an older GT but he won't hear it, saying I'll have to put gas in it (which I already do with the 6) but I think he thinks I'll kill myself. But the old 5.0 has what, 31 more hp? (225 hp) it's getting annoying. I've had it since I was 13 I'm 17 now. And besides he had some pretty fast cars when he was young, (I know he had a pimped nova ss which he claims would outrun his current m3 and later a 5.0) his father let him, so how can he do this to me? What should I say? Or do?
Are we feeling a little entitled or something?

Be happy you have a car AT ALL. I didn't get my first car until I was 19 (in 1975, and it was a 66 Mustang). If your father holds the title (and I'll bet he pays for the insurance), you're pretty much stuck until and unless he signs it over to you. End of story unless you buy your own car with your own money.

What should you say? Try "Thanks dad, for buying a car for me to drive."

What should you do? Try shutting up, respecting your dad's decisions, and appreciating what you already have, and if you want somethign else/better, work hard for it instead of expecting it to be handed to you on a silver platter. Believe me when I say you'll feel a lot better about it, and learn some life lessons along the way.
Old 7/16/14, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
Are we feeling a little entitled or something?

Be happy you have a car AT ALL. I didn't get my first car until I was 19 (in 1975, and it was a 66 Mustang). If your father holds the title (and I'll bet he pays for the insurance), you're pretty much stuck until and unless he signs it over to you. End of story unless you buy your own car with your own money.

What should you say? Try "Thanks dad, for buying a car for me to drive."

What should you do? Try shutting up, respecting your dad's decisions, and appreciating what you already have, and if you want somethign else/better, work hard for it instead of expecting it to be handed to you on a silver platter. Believe me when I say you'll feel a lot better about it, and learn some life lessons along the way.
Bingo!!!

Excellent advice!!!!

Old 7/16/14, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Who would pay for the GT? Who would pay for insurance? You said you will pay for gas, so that's covered, but if your not doing any of the 2 questions I posted, then you pretty much are in mercy of whatever your father says. If your paying for all 3 things, then you got real world advantage, then only thing you need is the permission from your dad that you can keep it on his property.

I'm nor going into the whole " entitlement " blah, blah as who am I to tell his father what to do, he can get him a lambo if he wishes to, their life , not my problem.
Old 7/17/14, 07:30 AM
GT Member

My oldest brother got a brand new Sentra ('86) when he graduated. My middle brother got my great grandmother's '81 Malibu in high school after she couldn't drive it (circa 87-88). I thought I made out like a bandit for getting a then 12 year old '82 BMW 320i my senior year. My dad thought it was a safer choice than the K5 Blazer I was lusting after.

I've almost always seemed to have long commutes since I started working so my '14 GT is the first non-4 cylinder I've bought for myself and I did so at 37. But looking back and thinking about how much money on gas I would have wasted, I'm not too bothered that it took so long.
Old 7/23/14, 12:03 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm 62, and just this year got my first GT, a 2014! My wife and I figured we would have some fun now that the kids are mostly grown and we don't need SUVs to drive the whole family around. We are having a ball, though the price of keeping premium in this thing is just insane.

The point is, EVEN at my age, this thing is so fun....you will have the opportunity to get whatever car you want eventually, and it will STILL be just as fun as if you got it right now.

Christmas doesn't get old, getting a car you want never does either
You got all the time in the world!

TH

Quick Reply: Convincing my father to let me get a GT