General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Camaro best for the mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/13, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro best for the mustang?

Does anybody else agree that when Chevy brought back the camaro it was the best thing for the mustang? I mean do y'all think that we would have the new 5.0 with out it? I just want to thank Chevy for bringing the camaro back. I love seeing the camaro fanboys get mad?
Old 1/19/13, 03:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I was thinking this exact same thing. Competition always improved the bread. I think that the camaro being such a good car was important too. If the mustang kept outselling the camaro, I would be driving a 4.6 instead of a 5.0.
Old 1/19/13, 07:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

I think the 5.0 would have showed up in the 2014 anyway.
The Camaro just bought it on early.
The Camaro was an obvious choice to re-run because of the fanboys.
It had to happen.
Old 1/20/13, 10:55 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
i kind of think if it were`nt for the 05 stang there would`nt be a camaro at all ..though i`m not sure when the last maro was built or when they came back ..i just dont pay attention to ugly things ...
Old 1/20/13, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I know this is a little off-topic but Camaro Zl1 or Mustang Shelby?
I vote Mustang Shelby, more power, room, etc.
Old 1/20/13, 11:46 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HOSS429
i kind of think if it were`nt for the 05 stang there would`nt be a camaro at all ..though i`m not sure when the last maro was built or when they came back ..i just dont pay attention to ugly things ...
I agree. The S197 opened it all up. And Ford kept improving the Mustang regardless of cashamo & challybigbutt coming so as to draw new buyers and keep existing buyers coming back. The 08 Bullitt topped out the 4.6 line and hit the streets before the Chally did.

And I don't think the 5.0 is that big of a deal from this standpoint - if Ford had put the engineering for better breathing & higher rpm into the 4.6 like they did with the 5.0, would those extra .4 liters/21 cubes mean so much? No.

We've seen what the aftermarket can do with the time tested 4.6 over and over again (without melted #8 piston & chinese transmission problems the '11 & '12 suffered). But the 4.6 had been around a long time in all variations and so while investing in the engineering, to add the 5.0/302 moniker back to the line made more sense than an improved fire breathing 4.6L DOHC 4V.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/20/13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 1/20/13, 04:40 PM

Funny how when I think of this era of muscle i forget about the challenger. And my buddy has one but it's just an R/T. And I do agree with the 05 mustang point of view I have never thought of it like that. And to the Shelby or zl1 def Shelby but I will take my boss over both any day.
Old 1/20/13, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

I agree glad their both around, just wish my friend would understand that. He's so diehard Chevy it's crazy, tells me I spent too much on my 13' GT and that I should have just got a used ls1 to go "fast". Thinks his bolt on 02 ss ran with a 550whp terminator. No logic required.
Attached Images  
Old 1/20/13, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Generous Motors bringing back the Shamoomaro was like bringing a knife to a gun fight! Just pitiful! Plagued with workmanship and poor engineering issues just make the Chevy boys that back them look so stupid! Just to buy one after reading the crying over the problems over at Cam5 proves either people live in denial, or people are just a few bricks shy of a full load!
I guess it is best expressed this way.... the Camaro needed to be a lot better than it was to even make a blip on the radar of quality JUST FOR ITS OWN SAKE.... and quit posing like it was such a 'big success' which it surely wasn't! It's just another lump of GM crap that got shoved down the throat of the American tax payer and the blindly loyal swallowed!

Last edited by red pony; 1/20/13 at 09:40 PM.
Old 1/20/13, 11:44 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
And also outsold the Mustang...just saying!!! I witnessed a 16 year old that loves my Boss but couldn't help himself but to sit in every Camaro at the Philly car show?!? I asked him why he likes the Camaro so much and he replied it just looks cooler! I made him walk home the SOB!!!
Old 1/21/13, 04:52 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving to 'General Mustang Chat' section, but will leave a link for a few hours . .
Old 1/21/13, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
And also outsold the Mustang...just saying!!! I witnessed a 16 year old that loves my Boss but couldn't help himself but to sit in every Camaro at the Philly car show?!? I asked him why he likes the Camaro so much and he replied it just looks cooler! I made him walk home the SOB!!!
Looks are deceiving. A good looking woman can in real life be a huge problem on foot once you look into it. Same goes with the Camaro. Car lots are loaded with them . All of them used cars too. Some six bangers, some v8's but all of them still sit waiting for their next owner. Yet a Mustang hits a used car lot, it doesn't sit there very long! A local Ford dealer has sitting on his lot a 2011 bright red absolutely spotless Camaro SS stick car with low miles that refuses to go away! The price is not that bad, but insurance and resale value make it just another GM car but with an insurance ticket nobody wants!
Old 1/21/13, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco

I agree. The S197 opened it all up. And Ford kept improving the Mustang regardless of cashamo & challybigbutt coming so as to draw new buyers and keep existing buyers coming back. The 08 Bullitt topped out the 4.6 line and hit the streets before the Chally did.

And I don't think the 5.0 is that big of a deal from this standpoint - if Ford had put the engineering for better breathing & higher rpm into the 4.6 like they did with the 5.0, would those extra .4 liters/21 cubes mean so much? No.

We've seen what the aftermarket can do with the time tested 4.6 over and over again (without melted #8 piston & chinese transmission problems the '11 & '12 suffered). But the 4.6 had been around a long time in all variations and so while investing in the engineering, to add the 5.0/302 moniker back to the line made more sense than an improved fire breathing 4.6L DOHC 4V.
Well said
Old 1/21/13, 07:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steven46746
I agree glad their both around, just wish my friend would understand that. He's so diehard Chevy it's crazy, tells me I spent too much on my 13' GT and that I should have just got a used ls1 to go "fast". Thinks his bolt on 02 ss ran with a 550whp terminator. No logic required.
You can't fix stupid lol
Old 1/21/13, 08:41 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteboss302
Does anybody else agree that when Chevy brought back the camaro it was the best thing for the mustang? I mean do y'all think that we would have the new 5.0 with out it? I just want to thank Chevy for bringing the camaro back. I love seeing the camaro fanboys get mad?
The 'muscle' wars are the best things that could happen. This is exactly what happened in the late 60's, early 70's. Ford (Mercury), GM (Chevrolet, Pontiac, Olds, even Buick), Chrysler (Dodge, Plymouth), AMC (Javelin AMX, even the Hornet could be had with a 304 V8!) all battling for the muscle car dollar, and look at the incredible machines and variety that were built. At least 3 companies going at it now is a good thing. Rear wheel drive animals all alive again. I wasn't sure I would see this day again with the push for FWD cars and high fuel costs. Enjoy it before it all goes away again.
Old 1/21/13, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I was a GM guy back in the 70's, so when I heard they were coming out with a new Camaro I was pretty excited. Mainly to see competition I suppose. But when it came out it was a total disappointment to me. It's just an awful car IMO. I detail one for my neighbor twice a year. Every time I bump my head getting in & out of it I realize just how much nicer my Mustangs are. The interior is cheap looking, & it just feels like a big, bulky car.
Old 1/22/13, 04:14 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by mcate
I was a GM guy back in the 70's, so when I heard they were coming out with a new Camaro I was pretty excited. Mainly to see competition I suppose. But when it came out it was a total disappointment to me. It's just an awful car IMO. I detail one for my neighbor twice a year. Every time I bump my head getting in & out of it I realize just how much nicer my Mustangs are. The interior is cheap looking, & it just feels like a big, bulky car.
I highlighted that because that was my exact impression when I test drove a new Camaro at the Motor Trend Greenville Auto Show just over one year ago. The size is indeed bulky and the weight is obvious. My Trans Am is basically the same car as the old Camaro from the 90's to '02 when they quit making them. The difference between those cars and the new one is amazing. My T/A is like a compact car in comparison, and even though a convertible, still about 300 pounds less. That's like hauling an NFL lineman around with you. No thanks. Our new Mustangs aren't exactly 'lightweights' but the feel is much smaller and just better IMO. These Mustangs were done right and is why we own one. A little 'squabbling' in the garage with it's GM mates though.
Old 1/22/13, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Honestly if they didnt go with the 5.0 it would have been cool if they put a 450hp termi motor in the new mustang as standard!
Old 1/22/13, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcate
I worked for GM and retired from their spin-off, Delphi; I can get their special employee pricing on anything they make, if I choose. I'm not rich, but a Corvette (been there, done that) or a Shelby or a tricked-out Challenger is not beyond my means... I like my Mustang.
Old 1/22/13, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
I worked for GM and retired from their spin-off, Delphi; I can get their special employee pricing on anything they make, if I choose. I'm not rich, but a Corvette (been there, done that) or a Shelby or a tricked-out Challenger is not beyond my means... I like my Mustang.
Shelby isn't a GM car though. no specail pricing on that.

Quick Reply: Camaro best for the mustang?