General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Broken Metal rod at the bottom of Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/21, 02:58 PM
PST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Metal rod at the bottom of Mustang

Hello Guys,

Need suggestion about this metal rod hanging at the botttom of the mustang and what part is it and what will it take to get it fixed. This came out yesterday night while driving. Any pointers would be really helpful, appreciate in advance.

Thanks,
PST

Old 1/14/21, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Can't tell it definitely has a spot on the end of it like it slides I to something. Need more photos. Also is it driving fine, also is the ebrake working?
Old 1/14/21, 06:49 PM
PST

Unfortunately I have only 1 photo that I clicked yesterday putting the phone down with flash on to see what it looks like. Yes driving is fine apart from this rod makes noise with road during bumps and uneven surface. Braking was like before. Engine is making a bit loud noise is a slight difference I noticed. Not really sure what it could be.

Thanks for replying Jaryd21.
Old 1/14/21, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
What year Mustang? I'm thinking a piece across the driveshaft tunnel maybe?
Old 1/14/21, 10:40 PM
PST

It's a 2016 EcoBoost Premium.
Old 1/14/21, 11:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

(edit: I see you answered, I'm pleased I got this right!) That'd be a 2015-2020 Mustang, given the big resonator and that flex coupler. And it also looks to be an Ecoboost, as it looks like there's only the one exhaust runner into the resonator.

Engine is making a bit loud noise is a slight difference I noticed
And that kinda points me in the direction of maybe, MAYBE... it's the rod that connects the wastegate of the turbo to the wastegate controller. Theres a long rod that sticks back from a vacuum bellows that's activated and pulls the rod to open the wastegate and dump boost on deceleration. If that's fallen off (however in the heck that happens) then that would explain the noise difference... and you might also not get the deceleration you used to possibly... And/or this is somewhat dangerous and you need to get it fixed pronto.

Need more pics, top and bottom, to be sure, because this piece otherwise has no place in the car. There's no rod in that area under the car. And the only one I can figure out would even be close, given where it is and how it's oriented, is that wastegate rod.

That said, my other story is it was a lonely piece of road debris. A poor, unloved, abandoned rod that just wanted to see the world. Your car and it met, and it got the rides of its life, but now it's destined to be unceremoniously removed and tossed away like yesterday's trash. If not part of yesterday's trash, I don't know your life. But anyway, take heart because even though you're going to dump that thing without any feelings involved, you made that rod's dream come true, whether you like it or not, and it'll expire a happy rod.

We all should be so lucky. Fare well, rod. And thank you.

But I'm not so sure the story of rod is quite right now... Kinda thinkin' the wastegate control rod...

Hope that helps, pics if you can get them!

Last edited by houtex; 1/14/21 at 11:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by houtex:
NC14GT (1/15/21), tbear853 (1/14/21)
Old 1/20/21, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Just checking in to see if you got it figured out.
Old 1/20/21, 10:58 AM
PST

Originally Posted by Jaryd21
Just checking in to see if you got it figured out.
thanks Jardy21 for checking, I tried to push it iside or take it out, but didn’t move much, clicked couple of more pics. I plan to take it to Ford Service center once I get time, I will update the actual cause then.

Old 1/20/21, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
I can't see the ends of it in the pictures, which would be key information -- if we can see how the end is "attached" to the car, we can tell if it belongs there or not.

Right now, from what I can see, I'm thinking Houtex' other story is on target:

Originally Posted by houtex
. . . my other story is it was a lonely piece of road debris. A poor, unloved, abandoned rod that just wanted to see the world. Your car and it met, and it got the rides of its life, but now it's destined to be unceremoniously removed and tossed away like yesterday's trash. If not part of yesterday's trash, I don't know your life. But anyway, take heart because even though you're going to dump that thing without any feelings involved, you made that rod's dream come true, whether you like it or not, and it'll expire a happy rod. . . .
Old 2/14/21, 11:16 AM
PST

Originally Posted by houtex
Welcome to the forums!

(edit: I see you answered, I'm pleased I got this right!) That'd be a 2015-2020 Mustang, given the big resonator and that flex coupler. And it also looks to be an Ecoboost, as it looks like there's only the one exhaust runner into the resonator.

And that kinda points me in the direction of maybe, MAYBE... it's the rod that connects the wastegate of the turbo to the wastegate controller. Theres a long rod that sticks back from a vacuum bellows that's activated and pulls the rod to open the wastegate and dump boost on deceleration. If that's fallen off (however in the heck that happens) then that would explain the noise difference... and you might also not get the deceleration you used to possibly... And/or this is somewhat dangerous and you need to get it fixed pronto.

Need more pics, top and bottom, to be sure, because this piece otherwise has no place in the car. There's no rod in that area under the car. And the only one I can figure out would even be close, given where it is and how it's oriented, is that wastegate rod.

That said, my other story is it was a lonely piece of road debris. A poor, unloved, abandoned rod that just wanted to see the world. Your car and it met, and it got the rides of its life, but now it's destined to be unceremoniously removed and tossed away like yesterday's trash. If not part of yesterday's trash, I don't know your life. But anyway, take heart because even though you're going to dump that thing without any feelings involved, you made that rod's dream come true, whether you like it or not, and it'll expire a happy rod.

We all should be so lucky. Fare well, rod. And thank you.

But I'm not so sure the story of rod is quite right now... Kinda thinkin' the wastegate control rod...

Hope that helps, pics if you can get them!
Thanks @houtex , I went to Ford Service center and your other story is bang on, it is indeed a stray rod that got ride of its lifetime. Nothing was punctured or damaged, they just removed it. I tried to move it or take it earlier to debunk the theory, but it was stuck so tightly that it couldn't move.

Thanks everyone for taking a look at this and providing your opinion
Old 2/14/21, 12:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts

My question is, did they indeed dump the thing without feelings involved? Because that's important, y'know.

Ow. What? I mean, it's part of the story, it needs to be accurate!

OW. Ok, fine, geez, I'm leavin'...

/Glad it's fixed up and not a big problem!
Old 2/14/21, 10:45 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,139 Likes on 818 Posts
Wow, I just say WOW, Sounds like you were pretty lucky no one got hurt by the projectile. Glad everyone and the car are doing fine.
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (2/15/21)