General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

BlkCobra09

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/13, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlkCobra09

Anyone out there ever experiance engine light issues. Since upgrades my enigne light comes on about every 500 to 800 miles. My tuner DTC's indicates a lean condition and has been reset and checked by my upgrade supplier for whom i have confident in. He states its the gas the hi content of Ethanol in gas making the tuner setting above the set point of 93 octane. I recencly located a gas station that sells 93 octane gas without Ethanol content and will see if this problem persists.

thx.
Old 1/2/13, 12:04 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I wouldn't blame it on the fuel. Sounds like a tune issue that needs to be corrected. Lean is not good.
Old 1/2/13, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I wouldn't blame it on the fuel. Sounds like a tune issue that needs to be corrected. Lean is not good.
Agreed. Sounds like fishy reasoning from your supplier to me.

Are you using a tune from one of the major retailers like bama or is it a custom dyno tune? Ethanol in the gas shouldn't cause a lean condition.
Old 1/6/13, 02:31 AM

Type SCT Custom Tuner, he states the ethanol content shows a highter octane level as times, I am tempted to go back to the stock tune and air box.
Old 1/6/13, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rcook
Type SCT Custom Tuner, he states the ethanol content shows a highter octane level as times, I am tempted to go back to the stock tune and air box.
I understand that ethanol has a higher effective octane rating than normal gas, but the point remains that increasing the octane rating should not cause a lean condition. To run lean you're either getting more air than your tune is accounting for, or not delivering enough fuel, both of witch are tune related.

When I first installed my CAI before I was tuned I got a lean code a couple times because the engine was getting more air than the computer was accounting for. After getting a tune that took my intake into account I've never had a problem. The gas here has ethanol in it too....

Perhaps it would be helpful to list the mods on your car.

Last edited by Kevin509; 1/6/13 at 04:57 PM.