General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Battery/Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/11, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery/Alternator

I have a 2007 GT/CS and I put a new battery in it a few months ago. 3 days ago i heard a strange sound coming from the engine. I saw my battery light come on and a warning saying check charging system. Brought it to the shop and they told me my alternator needed to be replaced. I found a replacement alternator on American Muscle for way less than anyone was quoting me. My questions is Has anyone ever heard of a battery causing a alternator to go? I read up about it and heard that the battery can cause the alternator to go. I have the right type of battery in the car. But can't really afford the high performance ones like they sell on American muscle so had to buy a regular type for my car. Could that have made the alternator go? even though it is the right one. I have never has problems with my car and it just seems strange to have an alternator go so early in a 2007?
Old 5/8/11, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mellied10
I have a 2007 GT/CS and I put a new battery in it a few months ago. 3 days ago i heard a strange sound coming from the engine. I saw my battery light come on and a warning saying check charging system. Brought it to the shop and they told me my alternator needed to be replaced. I found a replacement alternator on American Muscle for way less than anyone was quoting me. My questions is Has anyone ever heard of a battery causing a alternator to go? I read up about it and heard that the battery can cause the alternator to go. I have the right type of battery in the car. But can't really afford the high performance ones like they sell on American muscle so had to buy a regular type for my car. Could that have made the alternator go? even though it is the right one. I have never has problems with my car and it just seems strange to have an alternator go so early in a 2007?
Also it only has 47,000 miles on it.
Old 5/8/11, 09:44 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you have your battery checked too? I have seen where a battery was bad and low on volts in which the alternator didnt produce the correct amount of voltage that it is supposed to.

For example if the battery had 10 volts in it then the alternator was putting out 10-11 volts according to the tester.

Also did you get the correct battery for the car? If you didnt get the correct one then that could have burnt something up in the alternator too.

Last edited by BoogieNights; 5/8/11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 5/8/11, 02:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
FYI

There haven't been a lot of them, but a few alternators have died before 50K.
Not necessarily a battery problem.
You aren't the first.
Old 5/8/11, 08:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Made by Humans = Not infalliable, and sometimes premature failures happen.

But I would also check the battery, as constant attempts to charge the dead one will kill the alternator, as will having too powerful a sound system...

/My Mark VIII alternator died twice after I put in the 400 true watts of amps in the back of it.
//Until I got me the '96 Cobra alternator instead. WAY better alternator design, system never failed after that.