General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

auto insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/16, 03:26 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
auto insurance question

Hi everyone, I've been a geico policy holder for fifty seven years. No tickets or accidents for thirty years. My ten year old mustang has forty thousand miles on her. I requested an reinsurance quote from Allstate, they quoted me a six month policy with better coverage for. $336.00 less for six months than what geico is charging. Is this just a bait price to get me to switch and six months latter the premium cost will go thru the roof? What would you do jump to Allstate or stay with geico? Thanks
Old 8/8/16, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by southern stang
Hi everyone, I've been a geico policy holder for fifty seven years. No tickets or accidents for thirty years. My ten year old mustang has forty thousand miles on her. I requested an reinsurance quote from Allstate, they quoted me a six month policy with better coverage for. $336.00 less for six months than what geico is charging. Is this just a bait price to get me to switch and six months latter the premium cost will go thru the roof? What would you do jump to Allstate or stay with geico? Thanks
most likely but i would also double check to make sure you have the same exact coverages that you have with geico on the allstate quote.
sometimes its lower but they dont have all the coverages. im looking for a different insurance too but may just end up staying with nationwide because this auto quotes give me a headache lol
Old 8/9/16, 05:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
I was with 1 co. for 20+ years, till I bought my 2011.
That co. wanted 1200+ for 6 months for it & my 2007 Ranger.
Shopped around & found another co. that would do the same coverage for 500.00 less / 6 months......( I only insure with major co.'s )
Now I shop for ins. each year.
Did you know that most co.'s have a " new customer " discount ?

Last edited by 1 Alibi 2; 8/9/16 at 05:53 AM.
Old 8/9/16, 06:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I would ask Geico to give you a better rate. Tell them you got a better rate from a very good company.
Old 8/10/16, 08:49 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Seems like an odd situation to me but every person and state is different.
We were with Allstate for over 30 years and we finally said 'enough is enough' and started shopping around. GEICO saved us 50%. Yes, 50% with the exact same coverage on 3 cars. I wonder sometimes if these companies take advantage of you by being loyal paying customers over so many decades. They doubt you will switch and tack on the $$$. Geico has gone up a little over a few years but not to any great extant. It sure seems funny that you are in complete reversal with our situation. I would worry about 'bait and switch'.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 8/10/16, 08:54 AM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Seems like an odd situation to me but every person and state is different.
We were with Allstate for over 30 years and we finally said 'enough is enough' and started shopping around. GEICO saved us 50%. Yes, 50% with the exact same coverage on 3 cars. I wonder sometimes if these companies take advantage of you by being loyal paying customers over so many decades. They doubt you will switch and tack on the $$$. Geico has gone up a little over a few years but not to any great extant. It sure seems funny that you are in complete reversal with our situation. I would worry about 'bait and switch'.
Good luck with your decision.
Shoot when I had Geico, they went up a lot well to me that is. Especially with me not having accidents, my age etc. They said since other people that bought the same car (when I had the challenger) where young and having accidents, it affected me....meh.....I don't think that should be taken into consideration, it should be based on each individual drivers record. And don't get me started on them basing it off your credit score either....smdh
Old 8/12/16, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing to take into consideration is if you carry homeowners or other policies as a package you get the multi-policy discount. Geico doesn't insure homes. Your homeowners policy could rise if you switch car insurers to Geico.

OP, if you own your home, perhaps check with that insurer also for a quote.

I'm surprised Allstate can beat anyone. Not that they're not a good insurer, but they usually don't compete well pricewise.

Last edited by turbobuick86; 8/12/16 at 05:14 PM.
Old 8/13/16, 05:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have Erie Insurance and my payments have not changed in two years since interception. I had Geico before and the insurance would creep up every year without any claims. Many insurance companies do this, however, since your car is 10 years old it should be at a reduced rate.
Old 8/14/16, 07:22 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Originally Posted by turbobuick86
One thing to take into consideration is if you carry homeowners or other policies as a package you get the multi-policy discount. Geico doesn't insure homes. Your homeowners policy could rise if you switch car insurers to Geico.

OP, if you own your home, perhaps check with that insurer also for a quote.

I'm surprised Allstate can beat anyone. Not that they're not a good insurer, but they usually don't compete well pricewise.
Again, it depends where you live. Geico does insure my home (they are a broker for home insurance companies here in NC) and I get the full multiple discount for home and car insurance.
Old 8/14/16, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Allstate is about $300/year cheaper than USAA, State Farm, Or Geico here in East TN for the same coverages on my 2 cars.
Old 8/15/16, 12:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Again, it depends where you live. Geico does insure my home (they are a broker for home insurance companies here in NC) and I get the full multiple discount for home and car insurance.
Geico may write homeowners policies, however they are not the ones paying any claims. The name may be in very small print on the homeowners policy, but someone other than Geico is the insurer of the home.

As you wrote, they only act as a broker.

Glad to see they provided multi policy discount!
Old 8/15/16, 12:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
as stated above I think the best thing to do is shop around every year or two.
Old 8/15/16, 12:52 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
as stated above I think the best thing to do is shop around every year or two.
That is a smart option but some companies do offer discounts for customer tenure.