General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Asking For Insight From the Community.

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/19, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking For Insight From the Community.

Should I buy a mustang convertible?

Hey everyone,

Long story short, I spent last week in Phoenix and I was given the keys to 2008 GT mustang convertible. To keep it short, I fell in love. I am about to buy one immediately but just want to know what everyone who has one thinks about it.

First off, I’m a full time single dad to my 11 year old. I also have a 3 &5 year old who I don’t get much time with. So my 11 year old will be with me all the time. Is this a concern having a convertible and two small kids in the back? Really appreciate any insight to this question.

Next, I just bought a 2017 GMC Terrain in really good condition. So I am going to take a hit on trading it in, but I’m ok with that.

My other questions are, do all the mustangs have those shaker speakers? Those things are insane and super clear! Also do any of the older versions have a usb or auxiliary input to run a phone through it for music? This is actually a really big deal breaker for me as loud music is really important.

How many miles is too many when buying a mustang?

Is the difference between a V8 & V6 really that different? Which do you prefer and why?

Is insurance a major increase?

Is there anything else I should look out for? I don’t want to get one and have problems. I am just a dad who wants to enjoy life and not have set backs because of lack of wisdom.

I really appreciate any advice, especially with having the kids in the backseat. I’m not going to be driving it crazy, or trying to max it out 24/7. I just want the experience of the convertible and some freedom on the road. I also drive more than most do around the east coast and sometimes head inland and even into Canada. My sons mother lives several hours away from me. The only reason I got the terrain was so I didn’t have to worry about breaking down.

Just trying to to throw some questions out and have some honest answers.

I appreciate anyone’s advice as I want to buy one as fast as tomorrow.

Thank you,

daniel
Old 5/9/19, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I had 3 kids when I had my convertible. There is a decent amount of room in the back seats kids will fit. I would buy the lowest mileage car I could afford but these will last well in to the 200k mile range. Big difference between the v6 and the v8 ..... get the v8 if you can.
Old 5/11/19, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I had 3 kids when I had my convertible. There is a decent amount of room in the back seats kids will fit. I would buy the lowest mileage car I could afford but these will last well in to the 200k mile range. Big difference between the v6 and the v8 ..... get the v8 if you can.
here is my new 2014 mustang. 49 k miles, it’s super fun and I’m so so addicted! Thanks for you advice and support!

Here
Old 5/12/19, 09:13 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
You should be all set to go. Our '07 has been mostly a highway miles car and extremely reliable. We've been to San Diego and up to Alberta on recent vacations. This year we are off to Yellowstone. Excellent vacation car. Nothing like putting the top down along the coast or in the mountains, just not the interstates. I imagine your 7 years newer model would be even better. No kids here but I sure like my 'verts. I have three so I'm a bit biased. Best of luck with it!