General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Army Vet and Wife Killed Trying to Buy '66 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/15, 10:53 AM
TMS Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Army Vet and Wife Killed Trying to Buy '66 Mustang

What the hell is wrong with this world? A vet, looking to buy a replica of the '66 Mustang he bought upon returning from Vietnam, is killed alongside his wife, allegedly by the guy who was claiming to sell them the car via Craigslist.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 1/29/15, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Tragic that we have to share this world with crazies. Even worse that we just never know when we will cross paths with these crazies.

Rest in Peace.
Old 1/29/15, 11:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Dang, I heard about this story. Too sad.
Old 1/29/15, 12:15 PM

This rips my beating heart out and trampled all over it, man what kind of sicko freak does this. That man provided the blanket of freedom that man sleeps under. That lowly piece of crap aught to die by military execution. A few less taxpayer dollars to put off death for him, military exercise would be a swift end, that could not come quickly enough
Old 1/29/15, 12:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
**** Craigslist. It's the psycho hangout.
Old 1/29/15, 12:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
That makes me so pissed and sad to have read this.

The clock for this world will soon be timing out. That's all I will say if you get my drift.
Old 1/29/15, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
That is a tragic shame for all the families, both the victims, and the perp's.

RIP to the victims, and condolences to their family.

I am glad to hear the guy turned himself in, and glad the family prodded him to do so. That's a rarity, seems.

However, this goes to show one thing... Craigslist meetings are not to be a the seller's place... nor the buyers, for that matter.. unless you have a GANG with you. Otherwise, pick a public place (I'm particular to the front of a bank branch so that cameras and people are there) to do the exchange. Restaraunt, grocery store, whatever.

Be careful out there, plenty of stupid is out to kill us all, sad to say.
Old 1/30/15, 07:34 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
**** Craigslist. It's the psycho hangout.
I've been posting that same message for years and all I get is negativity with responses saying CL is great. It's funny I've never heard of the 'Auto Trader rapists' or 'Hemmings murderers'. Put the CL in front of any crime and you probably will find it through a Google search. If anything is FREE, it's generally a bad thing. I avoid CL like the plague. I find my cars where it costs the seller money. It also indicates that the seller isn't cheap. Cheap ad = cheap car in many instances.
I just feel horrible for that nice couple. I wish they had been more aware of the pitfalls with CL ads. Now it's too late.
Old 1/30/15, 08:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I've been posting that same message for years and all I get is negativity with responses saying CL is great. It's funny I've never heard of the 'Auto Trader rapists' or 'Hemmings murderers'. Put the CL in front of any crime and you probably will find it through a Google search. If anything is FREE, it's generally a bad thing. I avoid CL like the plague. I find my cars where it costs the seller money. It also indicates that the seller isn't cheap. Cheap ad = cheap car in many instances. I just feel horrible for that nice couple. I wish they had been more aware of the pitfalls with CL ads. Now it's too late.
These events are isolated. The site *does* make it convenient for psychos to lure unsuspecting victims right to their door, but that's the problem. It's f-ing 2015! Why are people still unsuspecting??? Especially knowing what has happened with CL in the past?? I've bought and sold tons of stuff on forums, CL and ebay. I've only been burned once, and my gut told me not to trust the guy but I did it anyways.

I helped my buddy sell his 2006 Acura RSX Type-S on CL. It sold in 3 days and the guy ended up being a Tesla employee who worked with my old coworkers. No low balling (actually paid over KBB value, thanks to my quick detail before they met up hah), and the very next day my buddy bought a 01 Ranger off CL too. That guy was ex-Air Force and obviously knew how to avoid scams - he asked for a picture of my buddy's DL before he agreed to show him the truck. Now my buddy is of the same mind set as I am, and we both didn't really feel comfortable doing that, but his ID happened to have an address that he hasn't lived at for years on it, so he said what the H and sent the pic. The guy's grandfather had passed the truck down to him when he was in high school and he kept it through his deployments and through college. We had all that back story before meeting up with him, yet we still came armed. You can never really trust people that you just meet.

If you're smart about it, CL works for people. If you see the car of your dreams and throw caution out the window, this is what happens. It's terrible and disgusting, but that's reality, and the reality is this kind of thing happens every day, everywhere, whether the encounter begins on CL or not.
Old 1/30/15, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AdPock

What the hell is wrong with this world? A vet, looking to buy a replica of the '66 Mustang he bought upon returning from Vietnam, is killed alongside his wife, allegedly by the guy who was claiming to sell them the car via Craigslist.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
This is absolutely disgusting.....
Old 1/30/15, 12:14 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I've been posting that same message for years and all I get is negativity with responses saying CL is great. It's funny I've never heard of the 'Auto Trader rapists' or 'Hemmings murderers'. Put the CL in front of any crime and you probably will find it through a Google search. If anything is FREE, it's generally a bad thing. I avoid CL like the plague. I find my cars where it costs the seller money. It also indicates that the seller isn't cheap. Cheap ad = cheap car in many instances.
I just feel horrible for that nice couple. I wish they had been more aware of the pitfalls with CL ads. Now it's too late.
Right - I don't hear about "The Nickel" murders either. But Craigslist keeps coming up with crimes attached to its "service" .

Yet for some unknown reason, people will defend it.

Originally Posted by laserred38
These events are isolated.

If you're smart about it, CL works for people.
Old 1/30/15, 01:18 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
That is a tragic shame for all the families, both the victims, and the perp's.

RIP to the victims, and condolences to their family.

I am glad to hear the guy turned himself in, and glad the family prodded him to do so. That's a rarity, seems.

However, this goes to show one thing... Craigslist meetings are not to be a the seller's place... nor the buyers, for that matter.. unless you have a GANG with you. Otherwise, pick a public place (I'm particular to the front of a bank branch so that cameras and people are there) to do the exchange. Restaraunt, grocery store, whatever.

Be careful out there, plenty of stupid is out to kill us all, sad to say.
They're so brazen now, that a public place doesn't even bother them. Had one in the area a while back where someone was selling ipads I think. Seller agreed to meet up in a very busy supermarket/strip mall parking lot. Buyer got there alone and the seller showed up with a buddy. They showed the items, seller showed the cash. They pulled a gun on him and forced him into the back of the car.

Unfortunately for the seller, buyer was a concealed carry holder. Capped both of them with a .40. One died right there in the car, other one fled on foot but collapsed down the street.

Parking lot of the local police station/sheriffs office would probably be the best bet. Someone intent on doing something unsavory probably wont even show up when you mention meeting there.
Old 1/30/15, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
They're so brazen now, that a public place doesn't even bother them. Had one in the area a while back where someone was selling ipads I think. Seller agreed to meet up in a very busy supermarket/strip mall parking lot. Buyer got there alone and the seller showed up with a buddy. They showed the items, seller showed the cash. They pulled a gun on him and forced him into the back of the car. Unfortunately for the seller, buyer was a concealed carry holder. Capped both of them with a .40. One died right there in the car, other one fled on foot but collapsed down the street. Parking lot of the local police station/sheriffs office would probably be the best bet. Someone intent on doing something unsavory probably wont even show up when you mention meeting there.
This. This is actually exactly where I offer to sell things LOL. Most of the time they agree.

Like I said (Charlie...) if you're smart about it, CL works for people. If you're dumb about it, bad things happen.
Old 1/30/15, 02:31 PM
Post *****

Like I said (Charlie...) if you're smart about it, CL works for people. If you're dumb about it, bad things happen.
My question is why?? Trying to be a hero? Trying to prove you're smarter than a nut job?

Why go into a high potential ****ed situation when there are so many other avenues for buying & selling - that don't have the outstanding reputation of whacko's scanning the list day in and day out?

My moron commie neighbor from Boulder brought ****ing creeps into our quiet little hideaway a few summers ago via Craiglist. She's a single idiot gal, ran an ad to 'trade' - someone doing chores in return for a free stay in her travel trailer. Great. Like I want some dickwad stranger roaming through my roads at night casing the area. Especially a Craigslist follower. She's a moron.
Old 1/30/15, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wish we had quick justice in this country.
Old 1/30/15, 03:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
My question is why?? Trying to be a hero? Trying to prove you're smarter than a nut job? Why go into a high potential ****ed situation when there are so many other avenues for buying & selling - that don't have the outstanding reputation of whacko's scanning the list day in and day out? My moron commie neighbor from Boulder brought ****ing creeps into our quiet little hideaway a few summers ago via Craiglist. She's a single idiot gal, ran an ad to 'trade' - someone doing chores in return for a free stay in her travel trailer. Great. Like I want some dickwad stranger roaming through my roads at night casing the area. Especially a Craigslist follower. She's a moron.
Well, that's a a little different lol. Really, it's about convenience. It's such a pain to pack and ship stuff to sell (i.e. using eBay or selling through the forum). You reach people locally. It's no different than selling stuff in the Classifieds in the newspaper years ago. And in actuality, being able to face your buyer/seller leaves a lot less room for the possibility of shipping your item and losing the item AND your money (which happens a lot with PayPal/ebay/Amazon).
Old 1/30/15, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Very sad story. Never bought anything of CL and never will. Too many nut jobs.
Old 1/30/15, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Sad thing here is this nut job didn't kill himself first and also sad he didn't kill himself afterwords. Sad all the way around. Craigslist has had a million good deals. You only hear about the worst cases as with any other high profile news stories you see these days. You don't hear about all the lives policemen save every year only the ones they are forced to take.
I have used Craigslist several times and I always meet at my local Walgreens. I've always felt pretty safe with all but one couple that wanted me to meet them at some credit union in a not so safe area to complete a car sale. I declined.
You have to be safe no matter where you place an add or buy from it could happen with ebay, autotrader anyplace.

Heck I sold a car once to this lady that traveled 300 miles with her young daughter to buy it. I thought she was out of her freakin mind.

Last edited by Glenn; 1/30/15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 1/30/15, 08:15 PM
Post *****

Well, that's a a little different lol. Really, it's about convenience. It's such a pain to pack and ship stuff to sell (i.e. using eBay or selling through the forum). You reach people locally. It's no different than selling stuff in the Classifieds in the newspaper years ago. And in actuality, being able to face your buyer/seller leaves a lot less room for the possibility of shipping your item and losing the item AND your money (which happens a lot with PayPal/ebay/Amazon).
Originally Posted by Glenn
Sad thing here is this nut job didn't kill himself first and also sad he didn't kill himself afterwords. Sad all the way around. Craigslist has had a million good deals. You only hear about the worst cases as with any other high profile news stories you see these days. You don't hear about all the lives policemen save every year only the ones they are forced to take.
I have used Craigslist several times and I always meet at my local Walgreens. I've always felt pretty safe with all but one couple that wanted me to meet them at some credit union in a not so safe area to complete a car sale. I declined.
You have to be safe no matter where you place an add or buy from it could happen with ebay, autotrader anyplace.

Heck I sold a car once to this lady that traveled 300 miles with her young daughter to buy it. I thought she was out of her freakin mind.
So... in other words you guys are saying you're really psycho whack jobs since you are CL loyalist's?

Old 1/30/15, 11:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've bought and sold on CL for quite a few years with no negative experiences. I'm also a CCW holder and do carry when I go to meet people.

I heard about the above story as well and hope that guy gets whats coming to him. What a scumbag.

Quick Reply: Army Vet and Wife Killed Trying to Buy '66 Mustang