General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

anyone know parts that will boost my mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/12 | 10:11 PM
GT Member

anyone know parts that will boost my mpg?

does anyone know some good parts that boost my mpg for my 2006 v6 mustang?
thanks
Old 5/25/12 | 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustangsally_
does anyone know some good parts that boost my mpg for my 2006 v6 mustang?
thanks
Not hammering the throttle down for starters. The big one would be for you to throttle and coast as well as draft semi-trucks. When you throttle up to let's say five mph over, coast back down to the speed limit and repeat over and over again. Drafting (getting behind semi trucks within 1-2 car lengths behind) allows your car to be "pulled" behind them and can make up to 1/3+ your average mpg. As far as bolt-on parts, I'm not 100% on that aspect because as far as I know the car weighing a freakin' ton and having the aerodynamics of a "brick" really works against you. :shrug:
Old 5/25/12 | 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Pete07GT
Not hammering the throttle down for starters. The big one would be for you to throttle and coast as well as draft semi-trucks. When you throttle up to let's say five mph over, coast back down to the speed limit and repeat over and over again. Drafting (getting behind semi trucks within 1-2 car lengths behind) allows your car to be "pulled" behind them and can make up to 1/3+ your average mpg. As far as bolt-on parts, I'm not 100% on that aspect because as far as I know the car weighing a freakin' ton and having the aerodynamics of a "brick" really works against you. :shrug:
Good advice here ^

The best mod you can make for MPG is the driver mod. Use cruise control as much as possible on the freeway. That alone can be good for a couple MPG average. Coast when you can, don't race away from stoplights, etc etc.

Beyond that, a CAI and exhaust system, as well as a good tune can actually increase your MPG by a little bit too, but again, that's only if you can keep your foot out of it.
Old 5/25/12 | 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Take off the steel-toed boots and try running shoes.
Old 5/25/12 | 10:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kevin509

Good advice here ^

The best mod you can make for MPG is the driver mod. Use cruise control as much as possible on the freeway. That alone can be good for a couple MPG average. Coast when you can, don't race away from stoplights, etc etc.

Beyond that, a CAI and exhaust system, as well as a good tune can actually increase your MPG by a little bit too, but again, that's only if you can keep your foot out of it.
Sound advice from this guy, he works on these types of cars for a living so listen to what he suggests and I say this with 100% honesty. I've read his posts and he's as close as they get to being a "local".

IMO getting a custom "canned" tune didn't help me out one bit. I also have a lead foot so I probably shouldn't be driving a V8 but then again I didn't get mine for the gas mileage. I average about 14mpg or so and have a ram-air intake and punched cats. Other than that I'm stock on the engine internals.
Old 5/25/12 | 10:46 PM
NTTAWWT

gearing can also help your mpgs, with a lower gear, your rpms at highways speeds will be lower, and therefore better mileage. Though you sacrifice acceleration.

that being said, and as I tell friends of mine "I didn't buy this car for miles per gallon, I bought it for *smiles* per gallon!"
Old 5/25/12 | 10:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You can lower your car and add a chin spoiler to reduce aerodynamic drag on the car as well
Old 5/25/12 | 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Pete07GT
Sound advice from this guy, he works on these types of cars for a living so listen to what he suggests and I say this with 100% honesty. I've read his posts and he's as close as they get to being a "local".

IMO getting a custom "canned" tune didn't help me out one bit. I also have a lead foot so I probably shouldn't be driving a V8 but then again I didn't get mine for the gas mileage. I average about 14mpg or so and have a ram-air intake and punched cats. Other than that I'm stock on the engine internals.
I appreciate the kind words!

As for the tune/intake/exhaust thing being good for MPGs, that's a real toughie because all those things make it that much easier to burn the gas up if you can't keep your foot out of it! BUT, all things being equal, the engine that breathes better doesn't have to work as hard and should be slightly more efficient.

I wouldn't suggest anybody go out and drop a grand+ on intake/exhaust/tune for the sole purpose of saving money at the pump though.. that logic just doesn't make sense. haha
Old 5/25/12 | 10:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ford20
You can lower your car and add a chin spoiler to reduce aerodynamic drag on the car as well
I will look into that. Thank you!
Old 5/25/12 | 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kevin509

I appreciate the kind words!

As for the tune/intake/exhaust thing being good for MPGs, that's a real toughie because all those things make it that much easier to burn the gas up if you can't keep your foot out of it! BUT, all things being equal, the engine that breathes better doesn't have to work as hard and should be slightly more efficient.

I wouldn't suggest anybody go out and drop a grand+ on intake/exhaust/tune for the sole purpose of saving money at the pump though.. that logic just doesn't make sense. haha
You still need to make it to Rod Run man. As for the "breathing" aspect of the engine, I get that completely. The only bs part is the whole DEQ logic Clark County likes to put us through every 2 years. Worthless IMO but it is what it is. The only "good tune" that I know if is finding someone skilled enough to handle a Dyno Tune on these Blue Oval Machines. That may end up costing more than the end results you're looking for.. :shrug:

Again; listen to Kevin because he knows what he is talking about. An a big "no homo" with the props I'm giving you man.
Old 5/26/12 | 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Keep your tires properly inflated. Don't drive around with unneeded stuff in the trunk/back seat.
Old 5/27/12 | 11:31 AM
GT Member

Don't modify or buy parts for your car. I'm guessing you want to increase your MPG in order to save money. So just guestimate at how much money you would really save if you didn't buy aftermarket parts in contrast to the money you would save with the higher MPG.