General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ambient Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/12 | 11:02 AM

Ambient Lighting

Want to add to my 2011. Anyone add this after sale? Was quoted $379. Is it worth the price?
Old 9/22/12 | 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WilliamG2436
Want to add to my 2011. Anyone add this after sale? Was quoted $379. Is it worth the price?
'Worth it' is subjective. I have it in the GT premium (and the old V6 premium), but I don't think I'd pay anything to add it after the fact.
Old 9/26/12 | 09:01 PM
V6 Member

Light

It's cool, but personally, I don't think I would pay to add it if I didn't have it.
Old 9/26/12 | 11:10 PM
Banned

id pay for it if its like the 2013 one like in the cup holders, the pedals, the door sills, the gauges and what not. I think it's awesome and it adds so much more personality to your car and you can always change it !
Old 9/27/12 | 12:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by WilliamG2436
Sounds like you are being quoted the Ford Genuine Accessory Ambient Lighting package which is nothing like the Factory Ambient Lighting package. There will be no lights in the door map pockets, no lighted door sills nor rear footwell areas. There will also not be any lighted cupholder rings. What you will get is some RGB light tubes for under each side of the dash to light the front footwells and a single small round RGB LED for the cupholder. There is a switch to control the system that has to be added somewhere in or on the console and an RGB controller which is installed hidden inside the console.

In order to retro-fit a factory style system, it involves numerous expensive original equipment parts that well exceeds $379. If you can find a salvage car with the ambient lighting package then you are way ahead of the game to buy some parts from that. However keep in mind that the factory ambient lighting system is quite elaborate and is controlled using the info/setup/reset buttons below the headlamp switch and has a display in the driver information center that displays the color setup and configuration. The entire system is well integrated into the car's electronic control modules.

On my former 08 car I very inexpensively pieced together my own ambient lighting package by purchasing several single LED bulbs, a couple of LED strips and some LED light pods. It's in the write up well documented under 05-09 interior mods. I just picked blue for the light color because I was not interested in changing colors. However, you can buy color changeable RGB strips or tubes with a controller to change colors. They are found on eBay or other internet sales sites.

My 2010 Mustang Premium and 2012 Focus Titanium are both factory equipped with ambient lighting.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/27/12 at 12:26 AM.
Old 9/27/12 | 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
Sounds like you are being quoted the Ford Genuine Accessory Ambient Lighting package which is nothing like the Factory Ambient Lighting package. There will be no lights in the door map pockets, no lighted door sills nor rear footwell areas. There will also not be any lighted cupholder rings. What you will get is some RGB light tubes for under each side of the dash to light the front footwells and a single small round RGB LED for the cupholder. There is a switch to control the system that has to be added somewhere in or on the console and an RGB controller which is installed hidden inside the console.

In order to retro-fit a factory style system, it involves numerous expensive original equipment parts that well exceeds $379. If you can find a salvage car with the ambient lighting package then you are way ahead of the game to buy some parts from that. However keep in mind that the factory ambient lighting system is quite elaborate and is controlled using the info/setup/reset buttons below the headlamp switch and has a display in the driver information center that displays the color setup and configuration. The entire system is well integrated into the car's electronic control modules.

On my former 08 car I very inexpensively pieced together my own ambient lighting package by purchasing several single LED bulbs, a couple of LED strips and some LED light pods. It's in the write up well documented under 05-09 interior mods. I just picked blue for the light color because I was not interested in changing colors. However, you can buy color changeable RGB strips or tubes with a controller to change colors. They are found on eBay or other internet sales sites.

My 2010 Mustang Premium and 2012 Focus Titanium are both factory equipped with ambient lighting.
The factory ambient lighting which I have in mine with the illuminated sills is awesome! Def worth it! I don't know what you're getting in your add on and if it will be worth it