General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

83 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/12, 08:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 miles?

It's finally here!!! I picked up my new 2013 GT today (I'll try to post pics later). It really like it so far. However, one thing puzzled me. I ordered this car and patiently waited almost 10 weeks. When I took delivery today, there was already 83 miles on the odometer. Is that normal? I was all excited to have a brand new/specifically ordered for me car and had visions of there being like 8 miles on it when I took delivery.

The salesman told me that Ford does quality control checks and randomly pulls vehicles to "test" on their test track. Well, maybe so, but I am kind of doubting they would "test" it for 80+ miles.

I know 83 miles isn't that big of a deal, but it just kind of burst my bubble. Plus, I am a little skeptical as to where these 83 miles came from.

Any insight/ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Old 9/6/12, 09:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The car delivery carriers will drop off many vehicles at a designated location. Respectfully, your car most likely rode on a car carrier with other mustangs, fusions, and focus that were to be delivered to different dealerships in your state.

It wouldn't be practical for the carrier to drop single cars off in different locations or set out on a journey with just one car in back. Sometimes there's not enough cars going to one dealership as well so several dealerships may often combine a load.

Translation, someone drove you car from this drop location to your dealership. The only quality control issue is your salesman not being truthful with you.

83 miles "quality control" my @ss.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/6/12 at 09:30 PM.
Old 9/6/12, 09:24 PM

Btw it could be worse.

My wife ordered a new fusion but the car she wanted had to be delivered from a town about 90 miles away. Long story short: The car showed up obviously driven and smelling like old farts. (nearly 125 miles on the odometer)

In return, she made the dealership replace the front bumper because she specifically told them to not put the front license bracket on.

Shes the strong silent type. I have a feeling she was disappointed in the miles on her "brand new" car. The license plate thing was her way of evening out the playing field.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/6/12 at 09:25 PM.
Old 9/6/12, 10:13 PM
V6 Member

Thanks

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
The car delivery carriers will drop off many vehicles at a designated location. Respectfully, your car most likely rode on a car carrier with other mustangs, fusions, and focus that were to be delivered to different dealerships in your state.

It wouldn't be practical for the carrier to drop single cars off in different locations or set out on a journey with just one car in back. Sometimes there's not enough cars going to one dealership as well so several dealerships may often combine a load.

Translation, someone drove you car from this drop location to your dealership. The only quality control issue is your salesman not being truthful with you.

83 miles "quality control" my @ss.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I really didn't think it was Ford "testing" my car for quality control.
Old 9/6/12, 10:41 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts

Translation, someone drove you car from this drop location to your dealership and hammered the living **** out of it.
Fixed.
Old 9/6/12, 11:07 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Ford does pull cars and test them on their track for quality control.

I believe in the past though they always put a sticker on the car near the window sticker statin such. Maybe the dealer removed it prior to your delivery.
Old 9/7/12, 12:03 AM

Good point. You're correct, they are legally required to disclose this to the customer.

My S281 had 17 miles on it when I got it. It had a little saleen sticker in the drivers window with a markered in number.

This was in 2000. I hope track testing was the case with the OP.
Old 9/7/12, 12:11 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Check for french fries and straw paper under the seats.
Old 9/7/12, 12:25 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Check for french fries and straw paper under the seats.
And use a depth gauge to compare how many 32nds of tread are on the rear tires compared to the fronts.
Old 9/7/12, 07:44 PM
V6 Member

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I kind of agree with the general consensus that the dealer is not telling me the whole story.

So, what's my recourse? Is it worth pursuing this, or do I just put my tail between my legs and go home?

Again, I know it's only 83 miles, but it really kind of rained on my "I ordered a new car" parade.
Old 9/7/12, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think dealer is lying. Did salesman take it home for weekend?

Ford puts a sticker on car if the used it for quality testing.

I think as part of the dealer prep process they do have to test drive it. My car had 7.6 miles on it and it was dropped off by the auto carrier in the dealers parking lot.
Old 9/7/12, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Btw it could be worse.

My wife ordered a new fusion but the car she wanted had to be delivered from a town about 90 miles away. Long story short: The car showed up obviously driven and smelling like old farts. (nearly 125 miles on the odometer)

In return, she made the dealership replace the front bumper because she specifically told them to not put the front license bracket on.

Shes the strong silent type. I have a feeling she was disappointed in the miles on her "brand new" car. The license plate thing was her way of evening out the playing field.
Patrick, did you mean that the car had been driven by some cretin who regularly indulges in White Castles, or by some OLD guy like me?
Hmmmm. Where do I sign up to get a job delivering peoples' brand new cars? Sounds like a cush job... and I don't eat White Castles!
Old 9/7/12, 10:27 PM

Lol I didn't mean old farts as in old people. I meant old farts as in the aftermath of a long and "windy" ride.

Btw, I got my numbers a bit mixed up. My wife's Fusion was ordered in Indianapolis but originally was dropped off/in stock at a dealership Chicago. It was then driven from Chicago to Indianapolis. As I mentioned, no special carrier for this "brand new car." I asked her about it and she told me tonight that there were nearly 225 miles on the new car! Then she just made a face and went upstairs.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/7/12 at 10:33 PM.
Old 9/7/12, 11:22 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I meant old farts as in the aftermath of a long and "windy" ride.
That literally made me lol.
Old 9/8/12, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
I ordered mine too and it showed up with 27 miles on it right off the truck.

No special sticker anywhere on the car to say it's been quality-control tested, and it had a broken passenger side mirror. Broken right off. As in, the mirror assembly was in the back seat and the car was smooth on that side.

Had to order a new mirror and cover, have the cover painted, and when the mirror showed up it didn't have the integrated spotter mirror, had to order another mirror.

Delayed the delivery by a week.

And I'm still wondering where that 27 miles came from ....

General Manager of the sales dept said Ford must've road-tested it ...
Old 9/8/12, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Driving is not part of dealer prep. My car rolled off the truck with 1.8 miles on it. Dealership drove it to gas station filled it up and gave me the keys. Ford will put a sheet in the car, that is signed, with the total mile they put on it during the building process.
Old 9/8/12, 01:26 PM

1.8 miles. Holy smoke!
Old 9/8/12, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
Driving is not part of dealer prep. My car rolled off the truck with 1.8 miles on it. Dealership drove it to gas station filled it up and gave me the keys. Ford will put a sheet in the car, that is signed, with the total mile they put on it during the building process.
this is all very good info to know just in case the dealer gives me the runaround. I would report them if they try to scam me or pull some BS lies.
Old 9/8/12, 01:53 PM
GT Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Lots of misinformation here, but will try and clear it up.

1. Cars are not dropped off at one Dealership and then driven to another due to a light load.
2. Vehicles are sometimes checked at the factory, and there can be a window notation , but not always.
3. Driving a car is part of PDI with virtually all manufacturers. Does not have to be a long distance, though.

Regardless , I completely concur with everyone that the Dealer is lying. Having worked in the business for 22 years, I have never seen a car with over 50 miles on it from the factory and it was noted on the window .

83 miles is not much , but after waiting 10 weeks it is obvious someone drove your car at the Dealership and that is uncalled for.
Old 9/8/12, 01:55 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
Pennsylvania (crap state) requires that the state inspection include a test drive. I watched my car roll off the transporter, then someone else got to drive it first. I hate Pennsylvania.

Quick Reply: 83 miles?