General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

5.slow

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/20, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.slow

i have a 2014 mustang with 3.33 gears bone stock and race stars 15x8 with 275x60x15 drag radials and is fast of the line but slows down for some reason someone told me is the tire... can some one help find the best wheel for me
Old 8/16/20, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
They could have a potential correctness, but it's more a context problem here. What you describe I interpret as this: That someone is full of nonsense. Only way the tire would slow you down is if it's flat. Or it's slipping on the tire (bead isn't secured on the wheel). Or it's slipping on the track. All of which have nothing to do with any wheel, unless the wheel is busted. Your setup seems fine to me. Maybe get 285s or 305s back there, but I think those are already a fine width for a stock car...

BUT.... the thing is, tire pressure could be the issue, and if that's what they meant, yeah, it can maybe cause this. If you're running stock pressure, the tire can't flex, and it will slip on the track. Car will launch, but you're not getting full power traction. That might cause the slowdown. Take some air outta those tires back there and let them tires flex as they hook up. Excepting this, no, I'm going with the above, ain't nothin' wrong with those wheels/tires, unless the tires themselves are junk/worn out.

My bet is the car's bogging maybe, or the gearing (transmission and axle together) is not good for the top end. I assume '5.slow' means you have the Coyote in it... And 3.33 axle isn't bad, but 3.55 or 3.73s would be better... or 4.11s if you wanted... hell, go higher, it's a 1/4 mile thing... but you won't like it so much in cruise for RPM and MPG. RPMs will go up, MPGs will go down.

In any event, something else is up, I'm thinkin'. Ain't no tire gonna slow a car down if it's properly inflated for the conditions, the track is right, the tires are hooked and the car's otherwise in good order and gettin' it done.

You might need a speed shop/dyno to help you out on what's going on. You can ask around the interwebs, but real-world hands on is going to be needed to fix the car to do what you want.

And all that? From a armchair dragracer what has been watching wayyy too much Cleetus McFarland, Boosted Boiz, and drag racing in general.

Good luck and all! Hope it helps in some way. Don't ditch them wheel/tires just yet! And welcome to the forums!

Last edited by houtex; 8/16/20 at 03:56 PM.