General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

3D Carbon GT500 Style Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/13, 08:18 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3D Carbon GT500 Style Rear Spoiler

I am looking into buying the 3D Carbon GT500 Style Rear Spoiler mainly because you dont have to drill holes in your trunk lid IF you have the factory spoiler, which I do.

I am wondering if anyone has this spoiler and if so, hows the fit, finish and paint? They offer the option of painting it for you.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 3/10/13, 05:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have it, and it fits just as well as the GT500 spoiler. I had a local shop paint it though.
Old 3/10/13, 09:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Who's got the best price on one of these?
I'd kinda like one myself, pre-painted since I don't wanna deal with anybody local for that, and I'd have 3D Carbon to blame if anything happened to the paint, like the eBay spoiler that I had on my Charger ...
Old 3/10/13, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
I'd kinda like one myself, pre-painted since I don't wanna deal with anybody local for that, and I'd have 3D Carbon to blame if anything happened to the paint, like the eBay spoiler that I had on my Charger ...
My best answer is use google to shop around. I've had mine for almost a year. I think Amerian Muscle carries them pre-painted, and they will price match if you find it cheaper.
Old 3/10/13, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Im gonna get mine on ebay direct from 3D Carbon, they offer a better on ebay along with free shipping and they paint it to match your Mustang!
Old 3/10/13, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just saw the description on American Muscle's site, and they say that 2 new holes need to be drilled ... I don't like that idea.
Doesn't Ford's OEM GT500 spoiler install using the regular GT spoiler holes with no new holes needing to be drilled?
Old 3/10/13, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Just saw the description on American Muscle's site, and they say that 2 new holes need to be drilled ... I don't like that idea.
Doesn't Ford's OEM GT500 spoiler install using the regular GT spoiler holes with no new holes needing to be drilled?
The "Ford" GT500 spoiler you do drill 2 new holes even though you already have holes from the factory spoiler. Go to 3d carbon's website, their GT500 style spoiler does not require you to drill any new holes. Thats the reason Im buying it because I dont have to drill otherwise I would buy the Ford part instead.
Old 3/10/13, 10:08 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes. If you have the stock lip spoiler then you have all the holes necessary. The pedestal spoiler has a different mounting pattern so ne holes will need to be drilled if you have the pedestal. IIRC that is
Old 3/10/13, 10:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Muscle-Car-Memories

The "Ford" GT500 spoiler you do drill 2 new holes even though you already have holes from the factory spoiler. Go to 3d carbon's website, their GT500 style spoiler does not require you to drill any new holes. Thats the reason Im buying it because I dont have to drill otherwise I would buy the Ford part instead.
Uggh this how false information is generated. You do not drill the 10-up Ford oem or 3d Carbon spoilers unless your car did not come with a factory spoiler. In any cases, it's four holes.

Do a search on gt500 vs 3d carbon in the forum. I wrote a detailed review of both as I have owned both.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 3/10/13 at 10:15 AM.
Old 3/10/13, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Uggh this how false information is generated. You do not drill the 10-up Ford oem or 3d Carbon spoilers unless your car did not come with a factory spoiler. In any cases, it's four holes.

Do a search on gt500 vs 3d carbon in the forum. I wrote a detailed review of both as I have owned both.
Thanks for this ... I actually searched the threads you started and found THE thread of your install here : https://themustangsource.com/f802/gt...poiler-514008/

I think I'd want the OEM piece after seeing that ...
Old 3/10/13, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I got it directly from 3dCarbon and the fit is perfect and the paint quality is excellent. Definitely recommended. You could also go through other places like American Muscle as they sell them painted as well with good quality paint. I'd recommend emailing 3dCarbon if you are looking to go through them. THey may work with you on the price
Old 3/10/13, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not know how true it is but I heard exterior carbon fiber breaks down in sunlight (or should I say UV rays) So get a good protectant for it and keep renewing it.
Old 3/10/13, 12:38 PM

I agree. 3d Carbon has outstanding customer service and products. As I mentioned, I went with OEM because the spoiler sits lower and tighter on the car.

I had the 3d on for a couple of months with no problems... One day I took a trip to the dealership and examined an OEM spoiler that was on a Shelby. It was then that I realized that that was the spoiler I had wanted all along. (Small, curvy, with a subtle raise off the lid.)

You can't go wrong either way. It just depends on how much coin you want to drop.
Old 3/10/13, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
I do not know how true it is but I heard exterior carbon fiber breaks down in sunlight (or should I say UV rays) So get a good protectant for it and keep renewing it.
Good thing these are made of urethane. OEM is plastic.
Old 3/10/13, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
It's not a carbon fiber part.