General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

2005 mustang 4.6 auto I did a donut and every since I barley get in my car or even

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/22, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 mustang 4.6 auto I did a donut and every since I barley get in my car or even

When I barley get on my car or in neturel past 5k rpm the abs light comes on and the lights cut off ?? Any ideas please help
Old 4/5/22, 06:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,029 Posts
barley is for brewing beer, not baking donuts

but seriously, I'm thinking the computer is still freaked out by the donuts . . . I think I would "reboot" it by disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes or so, and see if the problem goes away . . . if that doesn't do it, then it seems there is some problem in the traction control system (which I believe is integrated with ABS so they work together) but I am not sure exactly what that would be
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (4/5/22)
Old 4/5/22, 06:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Find someone with an abs scanner and see what pops up.
Old 4/5/22, 07:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
Find someone with an abs scanner and see what pops up.
yeah might be a good idea to do that before rebooting the system, I am not sure if the codes will be lost in the reboot . . . but be aware, the basic scanners that they have at auto parts stores generally will not scan these "body codes" ; you need a good scanner that can see the "body codes"
Old 4/5/22, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Originally Posted by Mustangguy99
When I barley get on my car or in neturel past 5k rpm the abs light comes on and the lights cut off ?? Any ideas please help
Question: By 'lights cut off' do you mean headlamps? Or what? The ABS coming on then going off might be a different story than if the ABS comes on then goes off and that's all you meant. So please give more details so we can help you better.

That said... you slowly accelerate to go and the ABS light goes on AND the lights cut off (I can only assume headlights or other non-related lighting here for the moment), and this also happens in neutral and just gunning the engine to 5K+ RPM. I know I just repeated your post, but I'm being sure here.

This a wiring issue brought on by bad engine and/or transmission mounts, on the face of it, as a guess by a guy who rides a flying pig in a green dog suit and is an insane robot, in his computer chair, waaaaaay over here. But the reason I say that is both of these 'tests' would be torquing the engine/transmission combo enough that a wiring could come slightly disconnected, either a ground issue or a harness issue. The car is after all 17-ish years old and however many miles on it, plus whatever environments it's lived and worked in. Things eventually break. The donuts just finally torqued things outta whack, but it was likely gonna happen at some point anyway.

Again, this is a guess. It could also be an ABS wire got caught up in something during the donut, or a wheel speed sensor got messed up, or any number of things could be the case. I agree with Glenn that a scan tool would be a better move than using the internet to get strangers to advise you various shotgun solutions until you stumble across it. Also, getting the car in the air so you can crawl under it and have a gander to see what's what would be highly advised (and probably will come with a scan tool if you take it to the right place too.)

One other thing. I happen to have personal experience with such silliness, except it wasn't donuts or anything. It was the fact that the front tires and rear tires were two different makes of tires... think fronts were Goodyears and backs were Michelins. Something like that. Guy put that on his Mark VIII back when and was complaining the ABS/Traction Control was going nuts and shutting the car down, similar to what you're expeirencing. I also drove a Mark VIII back then, and the wheels/offset/etc were just so for that car. I was working IT at the dealership and they asked me if I could loan them the wheels/tires off the car, and I said sure, why not, be fun to know. Sure enough, my full set of BFGs on the same rims as the guy's fixed his problem. And it did turn out the fronts were smaller diameter than the back ones, even though they were the same size tires. About 1/2" diameter difference. Enough to confuse the car into thinking the wheels were spinning out from under the car and do crazy stuff to fix it.

Not sayin' that you have this issue, but I am saying it could be a thing. Mixing/matching tire brands is not always advised.

There ya go. Go forth and good luck, hope it helps!
NC14GT (4/5/22)
Old 4/5/22, 02:19 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
I'm getting hungry.

Bert (4/5/22)
Old 4/5/22, 03:11 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
"What They Said"