General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

2 Wheel Towing my 2019 Mustang Premium

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/21, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Wheel Towing my 2019 Mustang Premium

I have a 2019 4cyl Mustang Premium looking to tow it behind my RV (1,000s of miles). I have a dolly I plan to put the Mustang's rear wheels on. Towing the Mustang in reverse sitting on the front wheels with the rear wheels on the dolly. I have been told this is ok with no major issues.
comments? Please Thanxs
Old 1/1/21, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Hang on... learning.... will revise, come back later...

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...US_05_2018.pdf

---

OK, learned.

Page 197 of the above manual is where you need to be. Well, actually page 198. And actually page 201, because reasons I guess, in the PDF itself.

Anyway, I can't link directly there, but I can sum it up:

Emergency towing: The 2019 Ford Mustang can be flat towed (four wheels on the ground and pulled about) at 35 MPH and no more. In neutral of course. Regardless of drivetrain.

Recreational towing, however...
Do not tow your vehicle with any wheels on the ground, as vehicle or transmission damage may occur. It is required to recreational tow your vehicle with all four wheels off the ground, for example when using a vehicle transport trailer. Otherwise, you cannot tow your vehicle.
So no. Not even on the dolly should you do this, forward or backward. A proper flat bed trailer is recommended. The reason is as they describe: Damages. The transmission can accidentally wind up in a gear and that'll ruin your day. No matter how well you think you've got it secured. Further, if it's an automatic, that'll just kill the transmission and/or the torque converter no matter what gear it's in or not. For the manual, it's just the going in gear thing, although running around with the manual spinning about on the output shaft is going to do a little bit of added use wear as one does. IF SOMEHOW you can prevent gear change, even slightly engaging, then hey, go for it, the manual should survive I'd think. I absolutely cannot say a DCT if equipped will, though, they're... weird.

Backwards is all that AND... front fascia can be damaged from slopes. (Probably rear one too, but anyway...) Steering must be unlocked or the steering mechanism will tear itself apart on turns. Steering must be locked or the car/dolly will tear itself from the towing vehicle due to whipping/fishtailing. Catch 22 that one. You should pretty much NEVER tow a car backwards.

Both cases: running lights, brake lights, turn signals, and reverse lights may or may not be adequate without additional lights added to the towed car, not that you should tow the car on a dolly in the first place, but still.

The proper method, sans a flatbed to ride upon, is to take the driveshaft off and tow it front wheels on the dolly. Just remove the rear driveshaft flange bolts, pop the driveshaft off, secure it to the car so it's not going to fall off/out, put the bolts in a baggie and stick that in the car somewhere. Drive off. At destination, put the driveshaft on. Torque wrench is recommended, a wobble extension is good idea, I'd go impact rated on the extension and socket, but the socket may not fit... and Loctite. I'd recommend the new orange stuff, holds like Red, releases like Blue. Nifty, that. Green's a bit much. Also clean the bolts between applications, just a little brushing, I'd recommend a brass brush, cheap at Walmart but does the job. Probably also wanna get a jack and some jackstands to do the work.

I'd get the flatbed, myself.

Welcome to the forums! Hope that helps! I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but safety third and all that!

Last edited by houtex; 1/1/21 at 08:37 PM.
Old 1/2/21, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
Towing this way seems very iffy, like Houtex explained . . . but I think the main issue will be keeping the front wheels straight while you are towing. If you can lock the steering with the front wheels perfectly straight, or close, it might be OK. The manual is written to protect Ford from liability if something goes wrong . . . what could go wrong? LOTS!

Also, remember the mustang is a fairly heavy car so you really should have brakes on the dolly. If you go with a flatbed, that trailer itself is quite heavy; so you need to be aware of the towing capacity of the RV and it should have trailer brakes for sure.

I have been through all this before (with other cars, not a Mustang) and ended up buying a 4x4 pickup truck with a transaxle that could be disconnected (neutral) and towed it 4-down. We also towed a front-wneel-drive car (Avalon) on a dolly one year.

Last edited by Bert; 1/2/21 at 05:44 AM.