Announcements What You Need to Know

TMS Vendors and Side-bar

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/10, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
TMS Vendors and Side-bar

Guys…

We’ve talked about how getting vendors on the site is really important and can be a great benefit to the members as well as the vendors. Nathan and I have been discussing the best way to do this over the past couple weeks.

Our plan is to offer companies to become Vendors for much less than what was asked in past (approximately 1/10th the cost). We feel this will attract more vendors which is, obviously, a great thing. They’ll be able to post their specials, deals and group-buys in a specific section for all members to see. In addition, if they want to advertise with a static ad, they’ll have the ability to do this as well.

In order to do this cost effectively though, we will need to add a side-bar to the right side of the forum. We realize this may not be the most popular thing being done, but it does allow us to offer Vendor advertising at a greatly reduced price that should attract more vendors than were here in past. Given where we are in the economy we think a lot of companies will want to use this cost-effective way to advertise as opposed to more costly methods (which were done in the past). We've had a lot of trouble recently retaining vendors or attracting new vendors at past prices.

Please let us know if you have any questions, or want additional information.
Old 7/8/10, 09:45 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To be honest the side bars make the site look to flashy but at times they are needed. Now me personally dont see anything wrong with the side bars just as long as they are Mustang related. We really dont need any advertisements for camaros or trucks on this site.
Old 7/8/10, 05:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleted - Double Post

Last edited by Ranger; 7/8/10 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Delete - Double Post
Old 7/8/10, 05:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

I fully realize that changes are needed to help insure the continued financial viability of this site and if sidebars helps in this - ok. I'm assuming that if a member should have an issue/complaint with an advertising vendor, they will still be able to post their experience/gripe as long as its is done in a professional manner. Appreciate this opportunity to give feedback.
Old 7/8/10, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ranger
I'm assuming that if a member should have an issue/complaint with an advertising vendor, they will still be able to post their experience/gripe as long as its is done in a professional manner.
Definitely. We want members to give honest feedback whether it's good or bad.
Old 7/8/10, 07:07 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good, more vendors on the site means the potential for more deals that we otherwise might not find out about.
Old 7/10/10, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I've created the Vendor Showcase forum. https://themustangsource.com/f811/

This will be where Vendors can post their specials and deals and also tell about their products. We had our first sign up yesterday, so check it out!
Old 7/10/10, 08:46 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonf
I've created the Vendor Showcase forum. https://themustangsource.com/f811/

This will be where Vendors can post their specials and deals and also tell about their products. We had our first sign up yesterday, so check it out!
Already found it
Old 7/12/10, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
To be honest the side bars make the site look to flashy but at times they are needed. Now me personally dont see anything wrong with the side bars just as long as they are Mustang related. We really dont need any advertisements for camaros or trucks on this site.
To further Boogie's point, I'm not sure why I'm bombarded with Dodge Ram ads. This is a Ford Mustang Site... I could see an F-150 ad as making sense, or any Ford/Lincoln product, but not competing brands. It's not something I'd ever click on short of being drunk and missing the "New Posts" link in my stupor. Ads of cleaning products or aftermarket parts etc, are cool. Ads of gimmicks or men's "performance enhancers" like in the back of some of the car mags, are not.
Old 7/15/10, 12:23 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
Ads of cleaning products or aftermarket parts etc, are cool. Ads of gimmicks or men's "performance enhancers" like in the back of some of the car mags, are not.
I'm completely with this one. I'd like to see ads which are related to things I may actually be interested in. I am not interested in products for other vehicles or things which aren't even related to the Mustang world.

I am a vendor on a few local forums, and one of the pros to that is having my own vendor section. I'm not saying TMS should have a forum for every vendor like other forums do, but at the same time it may be a good idea to list the vendors somewhere. Even after 700 posts i'm STILL discovering vendors, which is amazing. Right now the only con I see is not being able to see who's a vendor from what company.

Hope that helps!
Old 7/15/10, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

We have created the "Vendor Showcase" forum. This is the area where all our Vendors will be posting their specials, deals, group buys, etc...

Vendors can post in other areas, as long as they are on-topic and not blatant advertisements. But you should regularly check that forum, as that is where they have been instructed to post their deals.

As far as the non-mustang related ads: In an ideal situation we would love to have just mustang ads on the site. What we have realized (and Brad did as well), is that the turn in the economy has really made vendors cut back on what they are willing to spend on advertising. We'd have a very hard time supporting the site, with just mustang ads. That is why we are running the google ads, which will but up different manufacturers ads. That beings said, there still should not be any obnoxious ads for drugs, girls, performance enhancers, etc... If you see any of these please report them to me and we can get rid of them.

I hope this gives you some insight into why we have taken the steps we have. Running google ads, also will allow us to offer vendors much more reasonable pricing for their advertising spots. We are hoping this will attract a lot more vendors.
Old 7/19/10, 05:05 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Although it is polite to share and take the time to explain the site's plans with the membership, it is actually not necessary. Most members are not interested and are oblivious to what it takes to keep TMS floating since in the end it is a business. Therefore, it is a matter of understanding the reality of the site's finances. We can ignore but we are aware.

Do what's needed to be done and we will adjust, sit back, and enjoy it.
Old 7/30/10, 01:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
What we have realized..., is that the turn in the economy has really made vendors cut back on what they are willing to spend on advertising.
Then maybe buying the site wasn't a good investment. If the site were forced to shut down, then I'd look for another one...but it the site turns to crap like most others, then I'm gonna look for another one anyway. I guess it took me a little bit to find this thread, but I'm against anymore ads (especially google ads and ads along the side...and I'm done if I have to dodge words...).
Old 7/30/10, 05:43 AM
FR500 Member

I am ok with the ads on the sidebar, PROVIDED that there aren't any flash(y) GIF's. Those **** me off.
Old 7/30/10, 06:12 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by PTRocks
I am ok with the ads on the sidebar, PROVIDED that there aren't any flash(y) GIF's. Those **** me off.
Old 7/30/10, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
We have a specific rule that all those ads are non-animated and static, meaning no flashy gifs or anything.
Old 7/30/10, 09:29 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

We have a specific rule that all those ads are non-animated and static, meaning no flashy gifs or anything.
Thanks you! That has to be the most annoying thing about those side ads.

I for one hardly notice the difference, but I am fortunate enough to have wide screen monitors on all of the computers I use.
Old 7/30/10, 09:32 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts