Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

New Mustang for an Old Guy

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/16, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile New Mustang for an Old Guy

My last Mustang was in 1989. The 5.0 I had back then felt quick and I helped the sound along with a few mods. But this car did not do well in the NH winters and I could not afford a winter beater car, so it had to go. 27 years later here I go again. I ordered a new S550 GT Premium the day before Christmas. The deal was I could buy any car I wanted as long as I did not have to take out a car loan. I had saved for a long time and had the case, so I went for it after test driving a 5.0. It was incredibly different from the '89 GT I once had.

This car was a compromise in that it did not feel like raw power (but had plenty) and also had more tech features available than I would have expected. You cannot get this stuff in a Honda V6 if you opt for a 6-cylinder engine with a stick shift, or in a Dodge Challenger if you buy it with a stick shift. But Ford will sell this stuff to you if you really want it. Since I travel highways a lot, I got everything that they had except a convertible top and automatic tranny (even though it would be faster than the stick). I love to control the car. Always have. But when I can, I plan to add something like a Borla Touring Cat Back Exhaust so that I can actually hear the engine better and so that my neighbors will know when I to work in the morning. T he guy across the street has a Toyota Tundra V8 with a VERY loud exhaust system. Time to get even.

It is also nice to find a place where people who love Mustangs can share ideas and experiences. And as for driving this car in snow up here in NH, I plan to get winter wheels and tires and hope for the best.
Old 3/1/16, 03:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up Congrats!!!

Just get good tires next winter and be careful.
The guys I know that drive year round here have good things to say about the traction control, but you need the tires.
That being said, I always have at least one winter car. I just can't stomach the idea of the salt monster killing my car.
Old 3/1/16, 08:07 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Hey congrats on the new car. Love to see some pics.

I too do not drive mine when the snow starts flying. Been waiting for the roads to get a little cleaner. Too much sand, salt, and grit on the roads right now.

OP, Enjoy the new Stang!
Old 3/4/16, 07:03 AM

I am trying to find a way to save for a winter car without my wife murdering me. I have no problem making the Mustang a garage queen over the winter months. Wish me luck. I did drive a 1995 Z28 through 3 winters in New Hampshire. I did survive but do not recommend this to anyone.

I will post some pics when I take delivery. Should be over the next week or so. Getting pretty excited.
Old 3/4/16, 10:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
welcome to TMS. did you test drive other cars before you bought s550. just wanted to know which where you other options and why you picked s550 over them
Old 3/4/16, 11:26 AM

I drove a Honda Accord V6 coupe (stick shift), a Dodge Challenger (stick shift), and several SUVs to satisfy my wife. I wanted to test drive the new Camaro but no Chevy dealer had any or ever called me back when they came in. To be honest, both the Honda and the Dodge were fun to drive, but if you want a stick shift they come with just about zero technology. I drive a lot of highways so wanted all the goodies. So I tried an S550.

I had an '89 Mustang GT and that car was fun but an unreliable piece of junk. The S550 was SO different. Much quicker, better build quality, plenty of power. I did not notice the "terrible lack of clutch feel" or the "notchy" transmission that several auto writers seem to harp on. I ended up really liking this car and got it in the same color as the Corvette I once had (which had only 1 more hp over the S550).

The price on the S550 was a bargain compared to other cars. If I had the money, I would have gone bonkers for the GT350. But the 5.0 GT is a very nice consolation prize. I may get it next week if the ETA holds to March 8. I tend to believe my own senses and impressions and not necessarily the ones of the people on the "video reviews". But as I have seen, most reviewers really like the car. I just wish it had a more aggressive (but not obnoxious) exhaust note. But this will be the first thing I will fix when I can afford it.

The Camaro is quicker and sounds great, but the S550 is better suited to the type of driving I do.
Old 3/9/16, 09:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i had chance to test drive the new camaro and they are now equal good or little better imo. but i think you will be a happy camper in the new s550.
Old 3/9/16, 10:18 AM

I sincerely hope so. The car came in today and I will get it this Saturday.😀
Old 3/9/16, 11:16 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Old guys with Mustangs like you and me are what makes America great!!!

Welcome aboard.
Old 3/9/16, 11:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats on getting back in a Mustang. I'm an old guy with a Mustang or two too. 2015 GT & 88 GT. Love them both.
Old 3/9/16, 11:33 AM

Amen to that, brother. Will post some pics when I finally get her home.
Old 3/9/16, 11:36 AM

I have a vanity plate in my garage which reads "my88gt". I thought that car was quick. The new one is quicker.