Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

New Member -- From 370Z to 5.0 GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/10, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Member -- From 370Z to 5.0 GT

Hey everyone,

My name is Steve and I currently drive a 370Z Coupe. It's a fantastic car and I love it, but the 2011 GTs are very hard to resist. I am a car guy through and through, but I have always bled Ford blue. I've owned two Mustangs in the past and always knew I'd be back in one, it was just a matter of when Ford put out a model that I actually liked again. The 2011 is it!

I have an order spec sheet here in front of me that I'm working on. Hopefully in the week or two I'll put my order in for a Kona Blue GT Premium with MT, Brembos, and 3.73s. I just need to make sure I can coordinate the parting out and sale of the Z in that time.

In an ideal world I would keep my Z and buy the Mustang, but since I can only choose between one at this time I think I'm going to change things up and give the Mustang a run. I've owned the Z for over a year now and it's been great. I'm sure the car doesn't get that much respect amongst the Mustang crowd (nothing abnormal about that, I spend half of my time over on the Z boards defending the Mustang! ) but it truly is a great sports car for the money. I chose it over a lightly used Cayman S which says a lot for what Nissan has done with the Z.

That said, I'm very excited about getting back into a Mustang. It's a better street car than the Z in most all aspects. It's more comfortable, it's more practical, and more suited to daily use than a two-seater sports car. Maybe one day I'll scoop up another 370 to build into a track vehicle.

I look forward to jumping back into the Mustang community. I'll keep you guys posted on the order.

The current ride:

And my most recent Mustang (From the day I bought it in '03):

Old 8/22/10, 08:15 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome!

Very nice cars.
Old 8/22/10, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

I love the 370Z, I'm just getting too old for it (and I'm 29 ). My back hurt on the test drive! Aside from the harsh ride though, Nissan really offers an amazing amount of performance for a reasonable price.

You'll be happy to find that more than any other generation of Mustang, the 2011 5.0 has attracted the "omnivores" of the automotive world. People who have driven Hondas, BMWs, Acuras, Porsches...they are buying Mustangs So there is less of the other brand bashing on BOTH sides of the fence since the 5.0's performance also seems to be the great equalizer and earns respect with all enthusiasts
Old 8/22/10, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
I love the 370Z, I'm just getting too old for it (and I'm 29 ). My back hurt on the test drive! Aside from the harsh ride though, Nissan really offers an amazing amount of performance for a reasonable price.

You'll be happy to find that more than any other generation of Mustang, the 2011 5.0 has attracted the "omnivores" of the automotive world. People who have driven Hondas, BMWs, Acuras, Porsches...they are buying Mustangs So there is less of the other brand bashing on BOTH sides of the fence since the 5.0's performance also seems to be the great equalizer and earns respect with all enthusiasts
Indeed. People who have never considered a Mustang (or even a Ford, for that matter) are now looking seriously at the 5.0. It's amazing how far the car has come along in the past few years. The 2011 is a hit for sure.

It surprises me how well it handles for a car it's size. Obviously it doesn't feel as direct or involved as the Z does when you're out on the track or some back country roads, but it still feels planted and it puts down some numbers that aren't too far off of outright sports car territory. VERY impressive!

Can't wait to get the 5.0 on the track for an HPDE, and take it down to The Dragon next year for ZDayZ 2011. I'm sure I will be the only Mustang there, but hey, once a Z owner, always a Z owner. The same thing goes for the Mustang!
Old 8/22/10, 11:44 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Welcome back the the world of mustangs. Zs are definitely nice cars, I just prefer mustangs.
Old 8/22/10, 12:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome

Name:  22844164.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  5.6 KB
There is nothing wrong with the 370Z.
It is a great car.
I just prefer to own Mustangs.
Old 8/22/10, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

As we speak I'm scouring Youtube listening to some exhaust sound clips. I told myself I would keep this one stock for a while, but what do you know, the mod bug is an incurable disease.

I tell you what... one thing I'm REALLY going to miss from the Z is the Synchro-Rev Match feature. On my test drive yesterday I realized I was VERY rusty with heel-toe, blipping the throttle on my own. It felt like the pedal spacing made it a little more difficult than it had to be, but I suppose I'll get the hang of it after a while. That SRM feature is absolute magic, though... hopefully other manufacturers will start to pick up on it before too long.
Old 8/24/10, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

I have taken a liking to Ingot Silver and am going to take a look at one on a dealer lot. It's got the Shaker 1000 which I don't necessarily want, but if I can get a good deal on it we'll see.
Old 8/26/10, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

I can't believe how hard it is to find a Brembo GT!
Old 8/26/10, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Cars.. my buddy has a 370Z with a LS2 conversion slapped a turbo and some other things..

12psi 731 to the wheels.. 15 psi.. it spun on the dyno..
Old 8/26/10, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

If I had the money I would be trying to fit a 5.0 or 5.4 in the Z. Everything about the car is perfect except the VQ really lacks low end unless you're willing to spend $18k on a proper TT setup.
Old 8/28/10, 08:21 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to torque.

Seriously though, the 370 is SO much better looking than the 350 and with minimal mods its a beast on the track. As good as the VQ sounds, it'll never sound like a Mustang when you open up the exhaust a bit.

At least the aftermarket seems to be doing a better job of catch up with the 5.0, too. Greddy still doesn't know what to do about engine management for a tt kit, and AEM doesn't have a thing for it either!
Old 8/31/10, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Welcome to torque.

Seriously though, the 370 is SO much better looking than the 350 and with minimal mods its a beast on the track. As good as the VQ sounds, it'll never sound like a Mustang when you open up the exhaust a bit.

At least the aftermarket seems to be doing a better job of catch up with the 5.0, too. Greddy still doesn't know what to do about engine management for a tt kit, and AEM doesn't have a thing for it either!
Tell me about it. VVEL on the 370Z helps with low end but it's nothing like the Mustang. If you want to go you really need to be around 4,000 RPM. Fine on the track or on spirited drives when you can keep the car in the power band, but for street driving where you're lugging around at 2,000 RPM you come to miss that "power at any RPM" feel of the big V8s.

As for sound, I really love the way the VQ sounds when you open it up with some long-tube intakes and the right exhaust. It really growls in the low range and screams like a banshee up top. I think the 5.0 sounds pretty good (I think the pre-2005 4.6Ls are the best sounding modern American V8s) but I'm definitely going to miss the terrifying scream of the VQ at 8,000 RPM through tunnels, between buildings, and under overpasses. It's just insane!

Looking at a couple 5.0s right now... hoping to have a deal together by the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8/31/10, 09:21 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to TMS!!! Those are some nice rides.
Old 9/1/10, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome and enjoy your new Mustang. I am a previous Z owner (1990 GS coupe) and love the 370Z. In my ultimate car garage, I would have one with the Synchro-Rev system.
Old 9/1/10, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

SRM is amazing! I hope more manufacturers start adopting it soon.
Old 9/1/10, 11:29 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
SRM is amazing! I hope more manufacturers start adopting it soon.
Not me. Don't want rev matching, traction control, stability control or any of that crap. I want to drive my machine. Don't want my machine drivin' for me.
Old 9/1/10, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Not me. Don't want rev matching, traction control, stability control or any of that crap. I want to drive my machine. Don't want my machine drivin' for me.
I hear you. Good thing you can turn all these functions off.

When I first got the car I thought I'd never use it. I know how to heel-toe, I don't need no stinkin' computer doing this for me

Then I tried it...

It is so cool!
Old 9/1/10, 11:07 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I'm definitely going to miss the terrifying scream of the VQ at 8,000 RPM through tunnels, between buildings, and under overpasses. It's just insane!

If you get your 5.0 up to 8,000rpm's it'll be screaming, too...
Old 9/2/10, 07:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
If you get your 5.0 up to 8,000rpm's it'll be screaming, too...

Quick Reply: New Member -- From 370Z to 5.0 GT