Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

New guy, torn between

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/13, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy, torn between

Hey guys, figured maybe you guys could give me a better insight on these rides. See, I bought a brand new 2013 wrx sedan 4 months ago. the last 2-3 weeks I have been bored out of my mind driving it and very unimpressed with the performance now that I pushed it a little. I feel as if all you hear is the turbo spool and you go nowhere. I looked into mustangs cause well.. obviously these are bad f*cking *** cars. I'm going to test drive a new gt tomorrow see how it is. I'm looking around to see what's best for me.
I don't care that I lose awd, or 2 doors going to the stang.
How are these cars in the winter with snow tires/normal driving?
I apologize for this post, as I'm sure you guys have gotten many of these in the past, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 10/16/13, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had both. I think you need to get a Cobb tune on the WRX, maybe upgrade the turbo, and you'd be more than satisfied. Where do you live? The Mustang might do ok in the winter, but it won't even begin to compare to the WRX. The WRX has better handling than the Mustang imho but the two cars aren't very comparable to begin with, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 10/16/13, 09:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
The wrx will do better than the stang in winter depending on what tires are on the wrx, the same can be said for the stang. Good all season tires on the stangs and they do pretty well as far as I have seen. My 06 has truly impressed me on more than one occasion in the snow with all season tires. Now put some all season tires on the wrx and of course the all wheel drive will embarrass the stang.
Old 10/16/13, 09:47 AM

I'm running stock turbo seeing as if I had to upgrade the turbo I'd be dumping money in to it hardcore. I have an intake and catback with an access port. Still unimpressed. I came from a 2004 1.8 auto sentra. So it was fun but the driving got boring, and the community is just full of little kids who bash each other for personally tasteful mods. I'm actually going to test drive the new v8 stang in a few hours, so it'll make the decision a lot easier. But as for the snow goes, I'd probably get the mustang after winter so I can save a little bit for winter tires for the following winter
Old 10/18/13, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome.Good luck with your search.
Old 10/20/13, 12:15 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Good Luck figuring that out, I love my new stang. Never tried a WRX, but I would expect it to do much better than the GT in winter.
Old 10/23/13, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomekkplk
I'm running stock turbo seeing as if I had to upgrade the turbo I'd be dumping money in to it hardcore. I have an intake and catback with an access port. Still unimpressed. I came from a 2004 1.8 auto sentra. So it was fun but the driving got boring, and the community is just full of little kids who bash each other for personally tasteful mods. I'm actually going to test drive the new v8 stang in a few hours, so it'll make the decision a lot easier. But as for the snow goes, I'd probably get the mustang after winter so I can save a little bit for winter tires for the following winter
So... I'm guessing the drive wasn't that exciting? lol

What'd you think though!?

It's a lot different, I'd expect, especially depending on what you actually drove.
Old 10/23/13, 04:37 PM
V6 Member

Welcome.
Old 10/23/13, 08:16 PM
GT Member

I had a 2009 wrx and it was quick. Went 12.90 bone stock and did well in heavy snow even with the stock summer only tires. Car just didnt hold up to dragracing the way the Mustang GT does. Im on my 3rd gt 5.0 since the subie. Nothing wrong with any of them but each time I trade my payments have gone down by about 10%. If your winters arent severe you should do okay with a gt with all season tires.