Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

New GT in North Jersey (+ Mod woes...)

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/11, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New GT in North Jersey (+ Mod woes...)

Hi Folks -- thought I would join in the conversation! My name is Rich and I'm in Northern NJ. My handle CXRacer refers to Cyclocross as I am a competitive masters competitive cyclist in Road and Cyclocross disciples.

Picked up an '11 GT Premium Sterling Grey with Brembo and 3.73 gears.

Mods began and we're planned immediately. I have always been a big time suspension geek so I went in hard. Everything installed myself. I know what I'm doing.

At 200 miles on the ODO, I installed Steeda Coilovers. Threaded, height adjustable, Steeda upper strut mounts with camber adjustments. 200 lb springs up front, 175 rear. Steeda Adj Panhard, Steeda Panhard Brace, Steeda Sways.

She has been aligned and corner balanced, etc. The setup drives amazing handling wise, however -- I'm getting some spring noise coming from the front end and some other creaks happening from the back end.

Now with 600 miles on the car, I hit a bad patch of road and apparently and suddenly got massive banging noise coming from the front end. Steeda "thinks" the bearing on the right upper strut mount failed. So I am waiting on a new one. Should have arrived today.

I've had H&Rs, Stasis, Bilstein, and SPAX coilovers on a whole history of Audi's, Bimmers, Mini, etc. And never a problem until my mustang episode.

Not to get into the Steeda thing, they are responsive, but its been a nightmare. Shipped wrong parts, non-expedited shipping, etc. I was originally shipped the wrong length front springs... which I did not discover until I had the entire back installed, end ended up having to revert the work.

On a positive note -- with the addition of trying to diagnose all the noise and clanking -- I have become so proficient with Mustang suspension install, I think I now qualify to be on a NASCAR pit crew!

So back to Mods.

Exhaust, after listening to every sound clip I could find... I bought a Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-back thinking it was not too aggressive sound wise. Whoops... It truly sounds awesome in terms of tone... problem is it wakes up my entire neighborhood.

So I just bought the GT500 mufflers and hope they give me the sound I'm looking for and still allow to make my way home late at night.

As for the Flowmaster, I'm trying to post to the classifieds, but being this is my first post, I am unable. But its brand spanking new and only seen 300 miles. Looking to make it disappear!
Old 3/20/11, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to the site!!
Old 3/21/11, 02:49 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to TMS!! Sounds like you got an awesome ride.

You got any pics to post up on here?? I know we would all love to see it.