Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Mustang as Track Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/22, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang as Track Car Advice

I am new to this forum and considering the purchase of a new or slightly used Mustang for use in High Performance Driver Education events at tracks in my region. The previous vehicle I used for this purpose was totaled in an accident that my wife and I were in. Thankfully, the car did a great job protecting us. My questions for users in this forum are centered around which version(s) of Mustangs make for the best track car? Should I buy a base model GT or GT Premium and make aftermarket modifications or should I look for the same car but with the factory performance package or handling package as a better or maybe less expensive alternative to modifications? Or, should I consider buying the Mach 1 edition with certain options. I would prefer a manual transmission so I am not really considering a GT500. I also feel like I could get in real trouble with the HP in a GT500. Are their configurations/options I should stay away from? Any thoughts, comments, and experiences would be appreciated. Any specific recommendations for after market modifications would also be appreciated.
Old 4/12/22, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
first, welcome to the forum

I don't know your budget, or which generation you have in mind. With my budget and my tastes, I'd probably go with a 2013 or 2014 GT with the Track Package. Then modify it from there. You don't want or need the additional weight or HP of the GT500; the Coyote has plenty of power and you can focus your modifications on handling. If you can find one with the Recarro seats, that would be a great starting point. You don't need the "Premium" package for the track, that just adds "luxury" features like leather seats. The Track Pack has the important stuff, like the Brembo brakes and the Torsen differential.

If you have more money to spend, then a GT350 or a new Mach 1 would be great . . . but it is a LOT more money.

You can take a Track Pack GT to the track as it is; and I'd recommend you start that way. Then you can decide if you want to spend more money on improvements.

If you do want to spend more money, I'd work from the ground up, starting from the tires and wheels. These are heavy cars and they like a LOT of tire. . . you can stuff 315's under there, with just the right wheels. Next I'd look at Vorschlag's suspension packages. But it depends on how far you want to go with it. Keep in mind that most of the main track-oriented modifications will make it less "passenger friendly" on the street.
Old 4/12/22, 04:01 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
IMHO Plain GT and modify from there.
Old 4/12/22, 05:34 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
I'm on board with is posted above.. Much better to modify a GT with track pack which has far less weight and far less money over a GT500 or you could also consider a slightly used GT350, but more than likely, your going to be approaching GT500 territory being as their value is going to be on the rise since Ford discontinued production
Old 4/13/22, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bert, Mustang Freak, and m05fastbackGT - Thanks for the replies and advice. I am looking at new or slightly used 2021 and new 2022 cars. So what I think used to be the Handling Package in a 2021 GT or GT Premium is now called the Performance Package. Maybe they have packaged things a little different but the cost add of $6,700 seems like it might be worth it but I'm not sure what the price would be for mods you guys would recommend. The 2022 Performance Package includes different upgraded wheels, R rated summer tires, Brembo calipers with larger rotors, gauge pack, heavy duty front springs, K brace, larger radiator, performance rear wing, black painted strut tower brace, 3.73 axle, unique chassis tuning, unique stability control, larger rear sway bar, and front splitter. I am guessing that $6,700 will buy a lot of aftermarket mods?? So I guess my real question is should I order the Performance Package or save the money and do mods. Also, it seems that if you add the Performance Package and the Recaro seats, you are getting pretty close to a Mach 1. I am OK spending some money just not GT500 money at this point. Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 4/13/22, 07:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't know the particulars about the later model years; but usually if you can get the "upgrades" that you need from the factory, it is cheaper than doing the same thing aftermarket. Not sure if that is still the case in today's crazy car market, and it also depends on the specifics of the upgrades and whether there is a better/cheaper aftermarket alternative, or not.

Example: the wheels. What size (width) are they? For the track you want the widest wheels that the chassis can accommodate without rubbing. I think that is 10.5" or 11" on the S550 but I am not sure. An aftermarket set of lightweight 10.5" or 11" wide wheels would cost somewhere around $2-3K, plus another $1.5 or so for tires. If you can get wide and lightweight wheels, and R-comp tires from the factory, along with all those other upgrades, for $6.7K, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

That performance package car does seem like a very capable track car as it is, would save you a lot of time and effort on the "starter" mods, even though you might want to do more later if the track bug bites you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
m05fastbackGT (4/13/22), shaneyusa (4/13/22)
Old 4/13/22, 04:32 PM

Seems to make the most practical sense IMHO!
The following users liked this post:
Bert (4/14/22)
Old 4/13/22, 05:57 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
IMHO I think the biggest caution is buying the performance package only to replace those parts with I.E. better parts then you're doubling down and wasting money.
Bert (4/14/22)
Old 4/13/22, 09:49 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
I don't know the particulars about the later model years; but usually if you can get the "upgrades" that you need from the factory, it is cheaper than doing the same thing aftermarket. Not sure if that is still the case in today's crazy car market, and it also depends on the specifics of the upgrades and whether there is a better/cheaper aftermarket alternative, or not.

Example: the wheels. What size (width) are they? For the track you want the widest wheels that the chassis can accommodate without rubbing. I think that is 10.5" or 11" on the S550 but I am not sure. An aftermarket set of lightweight 10.5" or 11" wide wheels would cost somewhere around $2-3K, plus another $1.5 or so for tires. If you can get wide and lightweight wheels, and R-comp tires from the factory, along with all those other upgrades, for $6.7K, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

That performance package car does seem like a very capable track car as it is, would save you a lot of time and effort on the "starter" mods, even though you might want to do more later if the track bug bites you.

I agree with Bert on that one. If you are buying a new one get it with all the goodies you want for the track. I know the PP2 option was awesome for the track when it was offered. Got some complaints for those trying to daily drive it though. That and $$$ is why the PP1 got more orders.

I know it (the PP2) has been discontinued and there is only a single performance offering now. It has a lot of good stuff in it for a better price than you can do it after market. I would order it to fit your needs from the factory as long as it will not cause you to have serious delivery delays. Know some options are being held up, while others are not an issue.

Might look at getting the Mach 1, as it is setup to be a track monster in both manual and 10 speed automatic. Your choice. Not sure if that fits your budget, but that is the one I would go with if looking to buy.
The following 2 users liked this post by shaneyusa:
Bert (4/14/22), m05fastbackGT (6/3/22)
Old 4/14/22, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
IMHO I think the biggest caution is buying the performance package only to replace those parts with I.E. better parts then you're doubling down and wasting money.
I have a feeling the suspension might be the main area where that might be the case; not sure how far Ford goes with the suspension, because they want to maintain street manners at a reasonable level.

Since tires and wheels are probably the biggest factor for the track, I'd learn a bit more about those before buying, like I mentioned earlier.

In any case, any S550 Performance Package car (or whatever they call it) is going to outperform my 2010 by a LOT; and I can have a lot of fun on track with my car . . . so it's a question of how serious are you about the track thing, how much money do you want to spend for a major "track monster" versus a more street-friendly car.

Last edited by Bert; 4/14/22 at 06:21 AM.
m05fastbackGT (6/3/22)
Old 4/14/22, 04:24 PM

Seems IMO the OP is more concerned with modifying an S550 GT which already has the Performance Package, rather than modify a standard Mustang GT from scratch..