Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Learner starting out here...

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/16, 07:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Learner starting out here...

I am in school, currently taking Collision technology. I have recently gotten an '87 LX hatchback 4 cylinder 5 speed. Mechanically she is fine. Both the exterior and interior needs work and so I am looking for ways to fix her up. Because I'm still a student, I don't have much money to play around with, so I'm also looking for less expensive yet efficient ways that will work.
Old 4/16/16, 10:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Only way to learn is to do.

Only way to be less expensive is do it yourself competently.

If I could do it without anyone helping me on my '66 Mustang, you can! I had to rebuild the passenger side scoop which was punched it. When I was done, you'd never know it was even hit. I also shaved off all the emblems, and hand vinyled the entire interior instead of painting the dash, door panels, etc, like was done back then.

And I'd done just about none of it before, and that car went on to win first places in shows I didn't even think I had a chance in... and didn't even build her for, because I just built her for me, not them.

Back then, I could only ask and then practice, then implement and see how I did. Today, there's webpages, videos, and these here forums.

Don't be skeert. Even in a bad job, you learn, and can do it again.

So gather tools, a work area, and get to rippin' the car up and puttin' it back together again. You'll be a pro in no time. Get a shop manual for the thing, though, that'll be big help.

And above all, *have fun with it!*

Last edited by houtex; 4/16/16 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Emma (4/17/16)
Old 4/17/16, 04:51 AM
V6 Member

Any ideas or suggestions on tools to start out with?
Old 4/17/16, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I could diatribe about the various and sundry tools, but the reality is this:

Without knowing what you're going to be doing, I can't even say. Professional, every day work? Or back yard whenever you got time work?

Paint and bodywork? Or frame and structure? Engine and trans removal? Suspensions?

There are so many tools, and so many levels of manufacturers of them, that it's kinda not possible to say.

Backyard hobby stuff? Harbor Freight, HDX, Kobalt... they'll be for the most part just dandy. Ratchets, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, hex keys, etc, ad nauseum, they'll be ok for home use.

Professional every day use? Matco, Snap On, those are the ones you're after, because like the saying goes... you can pay a lot now, or a WHOLE lot more later, as you keep replacing the cheap stuff like above.

Past that, gotta know what you're doing as far as the work so that any tools you need can be gathered.

But that can be where the videos come in. Go to CJ Pony Parts on Youtube. Bill and crew do excellent work on showing you how stuff gets done on a car, and also does a great list out of the tools used before they get into it.

Others include Motorz, LMR, and so many others... just type in "How to do Exhaust" and watch what happens.

Last edited by houtex; 4/17/16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 4/17/16, 12:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I've used harbor freight tools (Pittsburgh PRO not the regular stuff) professionally for a number of years. It's great quality and lifetime warranty. Unless you're buying true top of the line tools, harbor freight is at least as good. Again, assuming you stick with the pro line.

My Pittsburgh Pro torque wrench is more accurate and repeatable than my old school craftsman...
Old 4/18/16, 04:11 AM
V6 Member

Well I am hoping that someday I'll be able to open up my own garage. I really love just getting my hands dirty and I don't mind doing whatever to a car. So I will willingly do whatever I can get my hands on.
But what I really dream about doing is pin striping (decal and paint) and airbrushing. Upholstery seems very intriguing as well. Detailing is also another thing bag I don't mind. I find it actually relaxing.
My teachers at school say they can rely on me for a good job done, no matter what needs to be done.
Old 4/27/16, 07:14 PM
GT Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi Emma,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your willingness to bust some knuckles and get greasy.

I'm a 66 year old car nut and I've been doing most of my own work since I was 16. My dad was a good "shade tree mechanic" and I learned much from him. Maybe the best lesson was to not be afraid of tackling anything. The worst thing might be a blow to your pride when you take a crate of parts to a "real mechanic" so he can set you straight but most of us who've been wrenching for decades have had that happen a couple of times, or more.

As far as building up your tool set there's no magic solution. I'm sure most of us are still acquiring tools after 20, 30, 40 years, or longer. A couple of things come to mind in that regard. If you have to borrow or rent a tool more than twice in a year you should buy it. When choosing tools buy the best you can afford. These days really good tools are probably cheaper, allowing for inflation, than they were in the late '60's. When I go in Home Depot, Lowe's, or Harbor Freight I'm amazed at the serviceable tools that cost a fraction of what I paid when I worked as a Honda mechanic back in the early '70's.

Ask questions constantly. There are some serious gear-heads on this forum with decades of hands on experience who'll be happy to help.

The hard core mechanical aspect of car work is but one part of the craft. Cosmetics, from paint, bodywork, upholstery, through custom styling work are great fields for someone with a good eye and patience. Have fun and never let anyone convince you that you "can't do that."
Old 5/7/16, 06:04 AM
V6 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!