Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

I知 trey I love mustang always have always will

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/21 | 07:42 AM

I知 trey I love mustang always have always will

I want to change my automatic transmission to a manual what will I need to do it other than the basic stuff ??
Old 8/28/21 | 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome trey, a little while back I was going to try this but I never did. The reason I didn't was because I needed up buying a gt with a manual trans. So I would be no help to you her but once again welcome and the will be someone with you shortly lol .
Old 8/28/21 | 11:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The short, but correct answer: buy a Mustang with a manual in it, sell your automatic one.

I don't know what year Mustang we're talking about. A carbureted Mustang (say, '84 and before) wouldn't give one whit about what transmission is behind the engine, so that's less of a hassle. You're then 'only' talking the transmission, mounts, a little bit of wiring maybe, clutch pedal assembly, clutch stuff, driveshaft, done. Maybe. Probably a little more that I'm being lazy about, but yeah, bolt it in, go. Finding all that might be fun depending on the year/model. So an earlier model swap isn't terrible to do from a getting it done standpoint, just get the parts and bolt them in.

However, starting in 85 somewhere they made these things get computered. And that for sure means wiring, computers and probably programming, in addition to the above. That can complicate things, but generally speaking... just bolt it in, for the most part, then get a scan tool/guy with one that can reprogram the new-to-the-car ECU to the rest of the car and off ya go. Yes, it's important, the auto computer and the manual computer are different, run different, talk to things that won't be there with the swap so it'll be bad.

And we ain't even talked money yet. Which is where the 'buy it done' comes in. For the cost of doing all this stuff, you'll likely be able to find one that's already set up and get to drivin' it rather than swap it all out, if it's a later model car. Earlier models it's less of an argument, because '69 or '82 or such, but an '07? Yeah. I'd not. Not yet anyway.

Remember, at the end of it, it's just a car. Unless there's one HELL of a story (like Awesome and me, maybe and even then... she's just a car... sorry baby, I know, I know, but reality and stuff, don't be mad. We've had this conversation before...)

...Um.... anyway, unless there's a real deal *must not let go* story of the car, or it's just that kind of cheap and easy because not computer/protected from theft, it's just the better part of valor to let it go and get the one that's the way you want it to be.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forums!
Old 9/2/21 | 08:02 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

What they said!