Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Help With JB4 tuner from Berger Tuning on 2023 Ecoboost!

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/23, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With JB4 tuner from Berger Tuning on 2023 Ecoboost!

I purchased a JB4 tuner from Berger tuning. does anyone have experience with this tuner?
Old 11/2/23, 11:20 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,906 Posts
Welcome to TMS!

Nice Looking 2023 Ecoboost!

Sorry No Experience With Named Tuner!

Are You Having Issues With Tuner or Are You Getting Ready To Tune and Looking For Some Support??

I Will Defer To Other Members Tuning Experience With Their Ecoboost!

KC
Old 11/2/23, 11:23 AM

I have the tuner already installed

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Welcome to TMS!

Nice Looking 2023 Ecoboost!

Sorry No Experience With Named Tuner!

Are You Having Issues With Tuner or Are You Getting Ready To Tune and Looking For Some Support??

I Will Defer To Other Members Tuning Experience With Their Ecoboost!

KC
I had the tuner installed already, it has various map options I can choose, which changes the perimeter of the vehicle. In my higher octane, setting map, I can smell a burning, and the system throws it back into a factory tuning. I was told this was a spark plug issue, and I'm not sure what spark plugs to get. also, looking for advice on future performance upgrades that will avoid my warranty
Old 11/2/23, 11:27 AM

I Did Find this it May Have Some Info That is Helpful!

KC
Old 11/2/23, 11:38 AM

Expanded Title To Get More Attention to Thread! Be Patient Our Members Flow in & Out At Different times of Day!

If You Really Want to Upgrade I think My Admin Counterpart Has a Turbo Upgrade! Not Sure I Will Let Him Respond! I Will Do A Mention! He Has an Ecoboost as a Shop R&D Car! @svopaul

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...op-car-550386/

He Runs a Full Time Performance Shop So He is One Busy Guy But Usually Checks in Early in the Morning and Sometimes after Quitting time! FYI

https://www.svpu.com/

KC

Old 11/2/23, 01:26 PM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Ta2Josh
I purchased a JB4 tuner from Berger tuning. does anyone have experience with this tuner?
I don't have any direct experience using the JB4 tuner. I do have a friend down the street with a Dynojet that we use and have discussed the various systems including the JB4 with him. The concern with the JB4 unit is that it's a sort of bandaid in that it's tricking the PCM and not really changing anything in the programming in order to avoid detection of tampering by the dealership so that you can try to retain your original warranty. The JB4 advertises that the factory PCM doesn't know it's not running on it's original programming so I don't see how there can be an efficient way to make real changes that are accurate. What they are doing is trying to give you some sort of performance gain without evidence you were in the computer. So by installing in line with vehicle sensors it is manipulating sensor output in order to trick the PCM. Their website seems to be a description of smoke and mirrors with no real explanation of how the system actually works which I find suspicious...Canbus is merely a communication platform and has nothing to do with PCM programming. The fact that it taps into the throttle position sensor tells me that all they are doing is similar to a pedal commander and telling the system to give you 100% throttle when you demand it. The Ecoboost software is torque based so it is looking for a torque value and therefore may only give you 60% throttle when you demand 100%. Changing this in the software tune alone can net large HP gains. I use HP tuning with everything I do but that requires flashing the PCM and would be detectable and could void the warranty.

Originally Posted by Ta2Josh
I had the tuner installed already, it has various map options I can choose, which changes the perimeter of the vehicle. In my higher octane, setting map, I can smell a burning, and the system throws it back into a factory tuning. I was told this was a spark plug issue, and I'm not sure what spark plugs to get. also, looking for advice on future performance upgrades that will avoid my warranty
If you smell something burning then it's not your spark plugs! Spark plug function would not cause a burning smell...so that is concerning. You might want to check all your electrical connections but also if you can be more specific about where you are smelling the odor and what it smells like might be helpful. Have you talked to Berger about the smell or are they the ones telling you that you need spark plugs.

Plugs are a good upgrade item but I don't think that's the source of your burning smell.

Finding upgrades without giving the dealer an excuse to void your warranty is going to be tough....I'd recommend waiting until after your warranty if you are concerned about that or forget it and just mod and enjoy the car....but keep in mind tuning is critical for it to live. I have a 19 at the shop right now that vaporized the #4 rod and piston with the only mods being and air intake, exhaust and intercooler....then the tune....the parts alone won't vaporize a piston and rod so it's suspected the tune was the contributing factor.

There are turbo upgrades but if you plan to go over 400ish RWHP then you'll want to build a better short block. We helped with the fitment with BNR supercars when they developed their new turbo for the ecoboost, they have a 525 and 600 option for the turbos so in the future that might be a good upgrade for you depending on what you are trying do with the car.
The following users liked this post:
Ta2Josh (11/3/23)
Old 11/3/23, 11:21 AM

Thanks guys

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate all the tips and advice you guys gave me. I got a much larger response than I anticipated, and you gave me a lot to think about. Unfortunately, right before I read the new threads, I downloaded a new setting off the Berger website, and trip my driving assist sensor. I no longer have active cruise control, active braking, or distance indication. When I downloaded the initial firmware, the system had me automatically download for Moore that is based off Maserati. Today I just found the firmware that is eco-boost. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up. Lol thank you guys again, and I will definitely be looking into that contact information left above with the speed shop.